View Full Version : ON THE KENNEBEC!

sam645
07-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Hey, I'm new to all this and I have a few questions. I'm taking the boat down the Kennebec River in Maine in a couple weeks and I'm pretty clueless. The Kennebec is known for its great striper fishing. What kind of bait should I use? I know I could ask around in the bait shops but I'd rather be prepared. Is river fishing for stripers different than ocean fishing for them? I'd just like to know what to do in general! I could really use the help. Thanks.
-Sam :confused:

Moron_Saxatilis
07-14-2003, 04:30 AM
I watched a show with these two guys fishing the Kennebec from a boat. They were just drifting alond throwing poppers towards the bank and whacking lots of nice stripers.

JohnR
07-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Bait in the river? - herring & nothing else. as fresh as you can find

ragfly
07-15-2003, 06:09 AM
What part of the kennebec are you fishing? Yes river fishing is different from ocean fishing because you have a very strong tide at times. The key is low light fish early morn or late evening or better yet a crappy rainy day! I saw that show and the guide was fishing all the places I fish. Maybe he has been following me LOL. Here is a tip, find some deep parts of the river that are right up next to shore and go through with your fish finder, if you mark fish, go back up and drift down through them bouncing wild eyes on bottom. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm don't they love them wild eyes! At dead tides I like fishng the flats throwing flies or lures. The kennebec is a big river......... run and gun is the name of the game don't stay in one spot to long. I hope this helps.

sam645
07-15-2003, 09:46 AM
I'm going from Gradiner down to the ocean. I know about using live eels but would that work in the river? Thanks for your help.
-Sam

ragfly
07-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Yes you can fish live eels. Find a good hole to fish them in. I know people fish them from Popham beach. If you have a decent size boat and can make a run out for some mack or pollock for live lining that works good also. I only have a 16' boat so I don't usually venture out off the river.

sam645
07-18-2003, 12:52 PM
I know a lot of people who use bloodworms on the ocean but would those work in the river? And which works better, bloods or sandworms?