View Full Version : Is it just me ?

MAKAI
02-16-2015, 03:06 PM
As I watched the coast guard rescuing the two nit wits trying to take a 43 foot sailboat to Australia the other day.
I am amazed at the stupidity of leaving in winter and with a serious ocean storm about to happen.
WTF goes through these windbaggers minds ?
Obviously not much, they should thank God every day for the brave souls who go out to save the ass of morons that should just stay on the golf course.

1dozenraw
02-16-2015, 03:37 PM
According to the Newport News, the Sedona was owned by Jason McGlashan, who purchased it on eBay, the online auction site, for $10,000. Jason McGlashan told the paper he and his father, Reg, planned to make the 8,600-nautical mile voyage to Port Macquarie, Australia, over six to eight weeks.

“We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” Jason McGlashan told the Newport Daily News. “We've got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK.” Question answered?

JohnnySaxatilis
02-16-2015, 03:54 PM
The title is perfect... Coast guard rescues idiots. Darwin rolls in grave:hihi::rotf3:
http://therealcape.com/video-coast-guard-rescues-idiots-150-mi-off-nantucket-darwin-rolls-grave/

MAKAI
02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Wonder if the bloodlines include that idiot capt that sent the Bounty to the bottom a few years ago ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sundowner
02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
they should thank God every day for the brave souls who go out to save the ass of morons that should just stay on the golf course.

I think that goes for every vessel, every swimmer that gets swept, and us surfcasters that may need their assistance some day. Never mind the millions of people obliviously unsuspecting of how the Coast Guard are holding the borders or just stopped their kid from gettin doped up

Rob Rockcrawler
02-16-2015, 10:18 PM
I was shocked when i heard someone was out sailing in that storm, now not so much. So they were just leaving Newport heading to Australia? I am sure they were warned about leaving. Hell the Coast Guard may have been given a heads up about these two.

DZ
02-17-2015, 08:43 AM
They left Newport and what I can't figuere out is Newport has the largest sailing community of experts in the world. Where the hell were they when these guys were planning this trip to tell them it was stupid and stop them? It was all over the Newport paper before they sailed so there was plenty of time for some education.

Got Stripers
02-17-2015, 08:47 AM
I like the comedian said; you just can't fix stupid. Like the husband who dropped off his 32 year old wife to do a little winter hiking in the worst conditions possible without any of the appropriate survival gear if things turn bad.

MAKAI
02-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Husband may have had an ulterior motive.

PaulS
02-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Recently read a few books about the Bounty rescue and 2 others about CG rescues by the same other. Good reads.

Amazing job they do and it is a shame to send them out for idiots.

jredfly
02-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Crazy - I was talking to a very nice woman I work with and she said her and her husband built that Carroll Yacht years ago. I think they gave up the business 10-20 years ago. They were impressed how the boat stood up to the conditions. I wonder where it is now, Crazy.

Nebe
02-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Can't believe they thought that they could make that passage in 6 weeks. More like 4 months

Raven
02-22-2015, 05:55 AM
i guess they didn't watch the Robert Redford movie...... :hs:

that woulda learned-em

MAKAI
02-22-2015, 11:45 AM
You know that that pair still have a few more dumb ass father son bonding adventures in them.

JoeG@Breezy
02-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Like maybe Everest unassisted in January. Now , there's an agenda.

JoeG@Breezy
02-23-2015, 01:33 PM
A bunch of years ago, maybe late 80's there was a saliboat, maybe 50 feet, on the beach one AM with all sorts of activity buzzing around it. I was doing a low tide beach run and stopped to talk to the owner. He had sailed it nearly around the world and missed the turn into the NY Bight by keying on the Coney Island lights which he mistook for the Breezy Point Jetty. He was experienced. Why anyone ever takes the ocean lightly is beyond comprehension.

Duke41
02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
dying time