View Full Version : Looking For A Yak

NewYaker
03-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi guys,

I am new to the Yak scene and am wondering what you all would recommend for kayaks. I want to use it for the ocean. I want it to be lightweight so I can throw it on my roof. I want it to be fast and track well. And I want it to be able to handle some waves. Pedals seem nice but those are so pricey. If anyone is selling something that fits my needs please reply or send me a message. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Patrick

BigFish
03-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Do alot of research! Read reviews, articles....visit a few dealerships and see what they have! You definitely want a sit on top! There are so many brands of kayaks its hard to list them! Try looking at a few kayak websites like Newenglandkayakfishing.com is very good and you may find some great information there! I have Hobie kayaks as do many folks I know but price wise they can be expensive! Wish I could offer more help but it really is a matter of doing alot of research as far as price point, how big you are will determine what size kayak suits your needs as far as weight specifications. Take your time and good luck in your search! Hope to see you on the water!

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2015, 06:54 AM
The Ocean Kayak prowlers are a nice yak. standard SOT tracks well and is light weight. you can usually find them on Craigslist anywhere from $600-$1000 depending on how tricked out they are.

I had one but upgraded to a hobie just because it freed up my hands.

Rockport24
03-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Look for a used hobie outback or revolution - they can be had for about $1500 used give or take a couple of hundred bucks.

If that is too rich for you, TDF's advice is spot on - the Ocean Kayak prowlers are everything that you described. I've been paddling a prowler 15 for 7 years and love it. You can find one without any bells and whistles (meaning without a fish finder or rudder or other do-dads) for about $600-800. If I were to sell my older one (which I wouldn't) I would prob ask around $500

The Dad Fisherman
03-04-2015, 07:00 AM
If I were to sell my older one (which I wouldn't) I would prob ask around $500

Now's your chance Matt, sell it and upgrade to a Hobie....you know you want to :hihi:

Come to the Dark Side.....

BigFish
03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
I might know of a used Outback that has seen minimum use and is in super duper almost new condition?:)

Rockport24
03-04-2015, 05:10 PM
No - if I buy a hobie, I'm keeping my prowler!!! but I may buy a hobie this year anyway :D

hq2
03-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Should be able to find something decent on Craigslist for around $500. Fishing 'yaks are pretty sturdy, and even though they may be scratched a bit, they should be fine. Or, if you want to go the super-cheapo route, you can get a Pelican one man NEW for about $200 on sale if you look around. I'd be careful about that, though; the plastic on them is about like tin foil thickness. so if you smack 'em on a rock, you could go blub blub blub.