View Full Version : Release SM

Sgt Striper
03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Got a chance to give the new Release SM reel a look see yesterday. Very impressive reel, high quality and light weight. Tore it down which is simple (four screws), very simple design and the quality of the machined parts and components is top notch. Reel weight was 17 oz. loaded w/ a little over 300 yds of 20# mono. Spool is light and fast and should be capable of throwing plugs at 1.5 oz. and up (my guess). Mag system has plenty of power at the full setting and has a nice range. Smooth SUPER strong drag and gears. Worth every bit of the $400 asking price.

bobber
03-08-2015, 11:34 AM
pics look good.... nice little reel. should be able to handle schoolie tuna with that thing

nightfighter
03-08-2015, 11:36 AM
and.....MADE IN THE USA

Green Light
03-08-2015, 06:30 PM
The specs and design of this reel are very impressive!

I hope they come out with another surf master model with a larger spool. The prototype had a capacity of 500 yds of 50 lb braid. This is just my personal preference.

Again, very impressive reel!!!!!!!

Nebe
03-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Move over Avet!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
03-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Tore it down which is simple (four screws), very simple design and the quality of the machined parts and components is top notch.

Inside looks like Penn guts, that's one large drag surface, niiiiice! :btu:

Rob Rockcrawler
03-08-2015, 07:09 PM
It has got me interested in conventionals again. I'm a levelwind guy and would get one today if it had one.

Sgt Striper
03-08-2015, 07:15 PM
The specs and design of this reel are very impressive!

I hope they come out with another surf master model with a larger spool. The prototype had a capacity of 500 yds of 50 lb braid. This is just my personal preference.

Again, very impressive reel!!!!!!!

The reel had over 300 yds of 20#MONO!! 50# braid is about 12# dia. so I would say you can get close to 4-500 yds of braid.

Inside looks like Penn guts, that's one large drag surface, niiiiice! :btu:

The gear and drag is far superior, this is quality machined hardened stainless.

Sgt Striper
03-08-2015, 08:20 PM
It has got me interested in conventionals again. I'm a levelwind guy and would get one today if it had one.

Buck up son, use your thumb! :hee:

Rob Rockcrawler
03-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Buck up son, use your thumb! :hee:

lol My thumb is pretty educated but really like it for plugging at night. Drifting eels or chunkin no levelwind is fine.

DZ
03-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Are they sealed for wetsuiting? That would be a major accomplishment.

JLH
03-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Looks like a solid reel.

I’m still waiting for a sealed conventional reel. I don’t know if it’s possible though given the design. I used to really enjoy fishing conventional reels in the surf but the upkeep on them is just too much work and if you don’t stay on top of it (which I was often guilt of) the performance really suffers.

ivanputski
03-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Agreed. A fully submersible, sealed conventional would be a must-have . I also agree that it would be pretty darn sifficult to design. I wonder if it hasnt been attempted due to difficulty, or the size of the small niche market
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device