View Full Version : Gudebrod Color Preserver

DamonM
03-04-2001, 12:25 PM
This is primarily a question for Mike at M&D's. I have been using Gudebrod color preserver with U-40 Duragloss. How many coats of CP do you use and how long do you let it cure before applying the epoxy? I've noticed that Gudebrod CP thinned with alcohol sometimes reactivates the CP on the wraps. I've been wrapping with mostly metallic HT thread but just built a rod with nylon and the CP left tiny bubbles in some areas which appear as little silver specks in the epoxy.
(4 coats of CP on the nylon thread) Also, it seems that the rodbuilders guild message board is recommending that CP's be used full strength without thinning.

mikecc
03-04-2001, 07:40 PM
Good choice i would never go back to Flex Coat.
I use 1 thick coat I must spin the rod till the CP dries.Depending on humidity it is usually about 2 - 2-1/2hrs . The rods that people mostly choose are metallic underwraps with trim bands and 2 layers of Black over wrap.
We just CP the metallic and not the black.
I also do not thin the CP .If you do it should not be thined more than 20% and then go with 2 coats.

Have ypou tried the HT metallic Braid for the diamonds yet?
looks good ,quick and cheep. keeps you from running multiple threads at once for designs.

Mike
CCT

JohnR
03-05-2001, 09:31 AM
I just do one coat of unthinned preserver and dry it for a few hours or overnight and apply the finnish the next day with U-40. Mike convinced me that was the only finnish to use and I do prefer it over the Flex Coat...