View Full Version : Rod for Penn Conflict 500

onsetangler
03-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Got a Penn conflict for Christmas, I'd like to pair it with a rod to throw up to 2oz. I'll mainly be fishing back bays and sandy beaches. Not opposed to a custom but I kind of like the 8"6 Airwave Elite. Any experience good or bad? Thanks!

massbassman
03-22-2015, 07:57 PM
GSB1081L
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

jeffreyrichard
03-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I have an 8 foot Offshore Angler Power Stick that was paired with a Penn SSG 500 ... did not like the reel at all, doesn't cast, even with mono. Last year I picked up a Conflict 500 ... great pair! This is my go-to set up. Light and confortable, cast very well. I have 30# braid. Throws everything from light rubbers to 2 oz wood pencils. The rod is nice ... light ... and very affordable (<$80 at Bass Pro). Great off the beach.

onsetangler
03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Jeffery is it one or two piece??

jeffreyrichard
03-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Jeffery is it one or two piece??

two ... I purchased because it was inexpensive; at this point in my career (intermediate surf fisherman) I have no need for anything better ... I'm sure there's rods out there that would blow this away, but it really isn't bad, and it's light ... and cast great!

onsetangler
03-28-2015, 10:15 PM
I held one yesterday at bass bro i loved the feel of it. Seems very versatile. I went to the msba show today and i think for this real i may go with an airwave elite. Once i have some extra cash i think i'll pick up the ocean master to pair with an old 710 i have. Thank you for the advice