View Full Version : Looking for Yellowfin

Fish On
07-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Going down to the vineyard this weekend to check out the monster sharks that I'm sure will be brought in. Looking forward to a good show. If the weather is good I thought I might try heading south looking for a little yellowfin action. Have any of you folks fishing the cape and the islands heard of any in the area yet? Much appreciated.

tuna4ever
07-15-2003, 08:20 PM
bring an extra gas can or 2 - keep going till the water turns blue - they will be there.

Fish On
07-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Your affirmative attitude breeds confidence. Must come from experience. What would you estimate is the shortest course to bluewater from Wasque Point, Martha's Vineyard? How far would you estimate I would need to go?

beachwalker
07-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Get a sea surface temp download and head to the canyons. Work the breaks.

It helps if you have the right gear............

80 miles. Known as the Canyons. Look at a chart. They are all there.
Know your h20 temps, the WHOLE way.

beachwalker
07-15-2003, 11:28 PM
I have to include:

I am not tempting you. Have your act together before you make such a journey. It is a long haul and break downs require the Coast Guard. Make sure there is a weather window and the best way to prepare is to crew with someone who KNOWS.

Don't try to figure it out by winging it.

You could easily get into deep dooodooo.

MakoMike
07-16-2003, 06:26 AM
Fishon,
I haven't heard of much yellowfin action even out at the canyons. Some longfin but very few yellowfins so far.

beachwalker
07-16-2003, 06:43 AM
Oh, to the contrary.

I have been. So not "heard", Caught.

Recently.

There is plenty........

MakoMike
07-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Which Canyon?

Rip Runner
07-16-2003, 07:06 AM
Fish On, the Canyon's are the best place to be, but you don't have to travel 80 miles out to the canyons. There are yellowfin mixing in with small bluefin as close as 18 miles from Wasque. Tomorrow will be my first trip out, but there has been fish out at the dump, and some reports out at the fingers.

beachwalker
07-16-2003, 07:25 AM
I can't say excatly where, here, but you guys know the ones.

Hydros, V's, Atlantis, etc.

MakoMike
07-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Beach,
O.K. Thanks, I can figure it out from there.

Fish On
07-16-2003, 12:58 PM
All excellent information. Rip Runner, that is exactly what I was looking for. I've read "Fishing for Yellowfin" and I know they come onto the shelft down there, but I needed to know where they may be so far this year. Thanks!

ps; I have a 22' Hydrosports with a single engine outboard. The vectra hull is great, but I'm not ready to head to the canyons yet especially with a single engine. I'll be staying way in on the shelf. Thanks!

Fish On
07-16-2003, 01:04 PM
By the way, how can I access these reports on the yellowfin? Are they available or are they the real valuable, whispered, word of mouth kind?

Fish On
07-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Also, if you are fishing those areas on Saturday and would like to team up I'd be happy to. Just let me know what channel you'll be on and whereabouts you might be.

Good luck!

Rip Runner
07-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Fish on, You'll never be ready for the canyons on a 22 foot anything. I recommend when fishing in a small single engine boat to pair up and use the buddy system. I fish out of a 22 Wellcraft center console and won't venture out any further than I just mentioned. It's just not safe, nor smart to push the envelope to far, the weather can pick up quick up out there. If you go out this Saturday, you will have the company of 100+ boats, becuase it's the Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournament this weekend.

I'll be out there this weekend for the tournement, but I'll be at the canyons, and no, not on my boat.

bassmaster
07-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Got Hooter?

Van
07-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Buddy of mine landed a 250 lb. mako last weekend.
About 20-30 miles So. of the vinyard.

Good Luck to those fishing the tourny!!!

Fish On
07-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Ya Dave,
I'll probably try just south of the Hooter. I found a report a few years old that had the yellowfin there around this time. I fish the hooter during the vineyard derby. Usually get consistent action on bonito and albacore if they are anywhere down there.

Van,
Think I'll be cutting the line if anything like that gets hooked. I hear those guys will jump into the cockpit just for the heck of it.

tuna4ever
07-16-2003, 05:36 PM
a good way to pick up yellows is to find a sharkers chum line and troll up through it. The yellows are usually in the slick - you have to get really close to the sharkers to get them interested in your lures.

I find 40 yards is close enough to pick up yellows and far enough not to get hit by thrown sinkers.

Of course if a shotgun comes out you have to keep a bit more distance.

Another secret yellowfin place is off the gas rigs just south of the nantucket shoals; 152 heading south of the Hooter - can't miss 'em.

You'll be fine in a 22' Hydrosport - rock solid offshore boat.

beachwalker
07-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Big juicy temperature breaks are the answer. Not too warm not too cold.
70-72 degrees breaking against 68ish degrees. Look for seaweed and debris. This is where the computer and satellite sea surface temp maps are the jimmy. Mark em'. Log em' on the GPS. Go there. Find em'. Look for the weed, dudes :)

Raven
07-16-2003, 07:01 PM
i'm always looking out for the weed dude.:laughs:

Team Rock On
07-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Too bad there are too many guys like you out there. Too cheap to buy their own bait, and too arrogant to not worry about screwing other peoples fishing up. Where we are fishing they won't find you, ever.

beachwalker
07-16-2003, 07:21 PM
You talkin' to me ?:confused:

bassmaster
07-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by tuna4ever
a good way to pick up yellows is to find a sharkers chum line and troll up through it. The yellows are usually in the slick - you have to get really close to the sharkers to get them interested in your lures.

You'll be fine in a 22' Hydrosport - rock solid offshore boat.
No not You I think He is talking about this.
thats where that 45,000 dollar 20' boat comes in handy
for ramming:smash:

tuna4ever
07-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Last time I trolled up to a sharker and asked that he got very upset. Deucedly impolite in fact. Muffy was very upset by his language.

Oh yellowfin. Just got word they are thick as ticks just south of the Hooter, everyones limiting out on them.

Trick is ya gotta go into the fog banks and troll around till you smell them.

Then drop down a live kitten and hold on.

Fish On
07-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Kitten? What's that?

bassmaster
07-16-2003, 08:43 PM
I wouldnt be caught dead out there in a small boat let alone the fog
I use to get pi$$ed as hell when some one would go through My slick, its alot of work
and if the Blues are boiling of the back pulling up is not a good thing to do
My old boat had a tower and an 11 foot beam, no boat will ever Be big for Me.

beachwalker
07-17-2003, 06:10 AM
And the fog bank usually means the Great South Channel.

It' s a scarey place to cross the street.

BIG Sumbitch boats rolling through there..........

bassmaster
07-17-2003, 08:42 AM
frig that

Striper1
07-17-2003, 04:36 PM
BM we called em POT LICKERS :D

bassmaster
07-17-2003, 10:31 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE