View Full Version : Cattails sinkers... should i or shouldn't I ??

fish raptor
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
I am getting things ready to pour some sinkers and was wondering if I should consider adding these Cattails into the mix.

I purchased a few but have yet to use them. I believe they are meant for a very slow troll or drift to keep you from loosing the rig cause your sinker getting stuck. I would guess they would not be used for a faster type trolling situation ?

Has anyone used these or are they more of a gimmick ?
If you have did you have any success ?

if I do add these then I will have to purchase some SS wire and possibly one of the haywire twist tools, their are quite a few out there.
I know you can do by hand but tool is cheap and probably easier on the fingies. I mic'd up the thickness of the wire used in the few Cattails I purchased and would just emulate the thickness and lengths.

.051 x 10" long for the 2 & 3oz
.062 x 12" long for the 6 & 8oz

Never purchased any wire before, any good spots I should look at ?
Do I buy a spool are loose pcs ?

thanks

fatcow
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
welding shops have all the wire u would need. If ur looking for a tool to do the twist i have one called dubro. Spelling might be wrong . If u want a pic let me know.

fish raptor
03-30-2015, 06:00 PM
welding shops have all the wire u would need. If ur looking for a tool to do the twist i have one called dubro. Spelling might be wrong . If u want a pic let me know.

There are quite a few Haywire twist tools out there. Do you feel the Dubro is better or are you just saying you got it and it works good for you. If you can send a pic that would be great. thanks

MakoMike
03-31-2015, 07:54 AM
You don't need sinkers if you're going to drag wire. If you go with lead core or mono then you'd be better off using a drail.