View Full Version : Hobie or Bassyaks w trolling motor?

Jim in CT
04-01-2015, 02:23 PM
I might finally buy a kayak when I get my income tax return. Was leaning towards a Hobie, then I heard about bassyaks, a company that sells kits that put saltwater-compatible trolling motors on kayaks.

Thoughts on which is better? And why? I'm 6'1", plan on weighing no more than 210 soon...

We might rent a house on Fishers Island (NY) this summer, and that place is almost as good as Block, but a lot less known, because it's a lot less accessible. Kayak heaven...

The Dad Fisherman
04-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Depends...do you want to exercise or not. that would probably be what guides your decision.

Nebe
04-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Go with the hobie.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jim in CT
04-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Depends...do you want to exercise or not. that would probably be what guides your decision.

I don't mind a little exertion (my lawnmower is a commercial walk-behind, not a tractor, I'd rather walk than ride). I'd also rather not risk the trolling motor failing on me.

Any other considerations besides physical effort?

Nebe
04-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Hobies don't have batteries that die ;)

Nebe
04-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Also, they are super silent. A spinning propeller might spook fish.

BigBo
04-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Also, they are super silent. A spinning propeller might spook fish.
Those flapping fins make as much or more noise than a trolling motor. I'm not advocating or putting down either. Just saying realistically, one is no more silent than the other.

Jim in CT
04-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Hobies don't have batteries that die ;)

Are Hobies made pretty well?

Heard nothing but good things about Hobies.

BigBo
04-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Hobies are very well made. They have a premium price, but it's an investment that will last for years. They also hold a high resale value should you decide later on, it's not the sport for you.

Nebe
04-02-2015, 02:57 PM
I love mine.

The Dad Fisherman
04-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I love my hobie as well....

Jim in CT
04-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the replies! I see that Hobies are not cheap. I wonder if/when others will be allowed to make a pedal drive, and if that will drive price down.

Now thinking about spots. I believe there is a boat ramp in Narragansett not far from Black Point/Bass Rock Rd/Hazard Ave? Too dangerous to kayak there? Or is that danger really resuming you are surfcasting?

scottw
04-03-2015, 06:01 AM
saw this and thought I'd let you know that we have a Cuda 14 in the shop with a Bass Yak addition ready to go, just needs a battery, trying to move it out to accommodate new incoming boats so the price would be very attractive, also have the Predator coming in if you are looking for a motor:btu:

BigBo
04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
You can take a look at the Native Slayer Propel 13. A friend of mine has one and likes it a lot. You peddle like a bicycle driving a propeller like a trolling motor. It allows you to maneuver in reverse.

danbrut
04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
I had a Bassyak a few years back with a battery. loved it,only it was too big for me, 14" I do like how you steer it with your feet.
I now have a 11" hobie and love it too. Peddle it, but my left hand has to steer the switch for the rudder. I am saving my money to drop a motor into my hobie. Maybe by Fall?

Mr. Sandman
04-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Not a yak guy but I went fishing in a nice bassyak last summer at night. We cruised across a salt pond to get to a good surf spot that was nearly impossible to get to with a land vehicle. It was really quiet and moved right along. On the way back I had my light on and bass were jumping right next to the yak. It also got foggy and if I did not have my iphone with navioics gps I would have never gotten back!

I strongly believe these are technically "motor boats", and as such must be registered. Many yak guys disagree with me on this but I would look into it. I have to say though they are very cool. (The battery lasts a long time and it can be recharged at home for next to nothing.)

Rockport24
04-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Yaks with trolling motors absolutely have to be registered in Mass

Honestly, the motor and battery and all that looks like too much of a hassle, just get the hobie