View Full Version : Canal Sportsmens Club

Rob Rockcrawler
04-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Any members here? I just got admitted after 5-7 years on the waiting list wondering if there are any S-Bers there.

Hookedagain
04-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Never even heard of it. Regular club with a clubhouse and meetings and such?

Slipknot
04-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Big Dave is there

I asked about joining years ago but was told it was full

Rob Rockcrawler
04-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Never even heard of it. Regular club with a clubhouse and meetings and such?

Yeah its basically under the Bourne bridge mainland side. Has a house and meetings and such.

vineyardblues
04-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Big Dave is there

I asked about joining years ago but was told it was full

I also was told the same,
Do they have the camp sites ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
04-04-2015, 07:49 AM
No camp sites per se, but you can sleep in your rig in the parking lot and use the facilities inside the club, if you're a member.

onsetangler
04-06-2015, 11:28 AM
I thought the first rule of the canal sportsmen club was don't talk about the canal sportsme club :)

Big Dave
04-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Since the Canal Club membership is capped at 100+1 members, and the waiting list is capped at 35 applicants. It can take a very long time to get in the club. Also, getting on the waiting list is difficult. It's a two person sponsorship and the list is first come first serve. So if only one spot on the list opens up, you're sponsor will be competing with many other members who also want that spot for their candidate. The first member to the committee gets the spot, leaving the others to continue wait. The normal membership turnover is maybe 2 a year if your lucky, and some years its Zero. There was a time not so long ago that the club had an aging membership. But that's no longer the case and the new members being much younger all understand the benefits of belonging to the club and are not likely to leave or give up there spot any time soon. Having a place on the canal with shower and rest room facilities and a hall with with kitchen and refrigerator storage for both food and bait. a stainless steel covered fish cleaning station. and personal storage out in the back. The club is open to members 24/7 365 days a year. but as stated there are no tents, or trailers, or camp sites. its not a bar room, it has no reserved parking, and a ton of house rules to follow. The club in its hayday had over a 1000 members during the Shaffer tournaments. but when the tournaments stopped membership declined to around 60 members and stayed that way for several years. When I joined in 1985 the club only had 62 members. I understand and support the 100 member limit. it would just be madness for any more than that. The facilities and utilities IMHO just cant support more members.

Rockcrawler Welcome aboard

O.D. Mike
04-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks for sharing Big Dave!!! Great history!!!

Rob Rockcrawler
04-07-2015, 10:41 PM
THanks for the history as well Dave. Nice to know a bit more about it. Im excited to be a member. Beats staying at Shawmee in a tent, i would prefer to just sleep in my truck. I assume i will be meeting you at some point.

Matt D
04-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Congrats Rob!

I'm on the waiting list. This will be my 3rd year. Not sure what number I'm up to at this point or even how to find out. Ask my sponsor I guess.