View Full Version : Clear Vinyl Refurb

Van
04-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Does anyone have experience with products to use on the vinyl side front and back curtains?

After 20 years, mine need a bit of "polishing" or something to get the scratches and light haze out and clean them up.

I know of protective products like 303 but they need something to clear them up first.

Thanks.

thefishingfreak
04-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Lay them on a flat surface with a nice thick blanket underneath. Buff with a cleaner wax like mothers with a power buffer with a foam pad ( Not a random action "waxer" ) do both sides
Then rub it out by hand with a soft Terry cloth.(that's what she said)
If you drop them off at the local detail shop I bet they would have them looking mint for under a hundred bucks and you can spend that time fishing
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

beamie
04-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Van,

I do my Lexan windows once a year with Flitz and the Flitz ball and it does a great job getting the little scratches out that the sun always seems to make it hazy. I bet it would do ok on vinyl windows.

piemma
04-15-2015, 06:30 AM
The guy who made mine 2 years ago said they would never "yellow" of get filmy. I just use Windex on them occasionally and they are like new.

Van
04-16-2015, 12:47 PM
The guy who made mine 2 years ago said they would never "yellow" of get filmy. I just use Windex on them occasionally and they are like new.

Yea,, not yellow'd just lots of little scratches.
I will be trying some treatments this weekend. (hopefully)

Mr. Sandman
04-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Windex is not a good idea. If a boat detailed breaks a bottle of that out on a yacht dock they will be fired. When you clean eisenglass you usually want to use a mild dish soap and really clean filtered fresh water. Many high end boat guys like you to use the water produced from the water maker as it has no minerals in it as apposed from the dockside supply. For low end fishing boats it does not matter.

If they are 20 years old they are probably pretty tired. Try flitz, and the ball as they suggested above it is aggressive but it will polish it up pretty good. I used it on lexan and it worked well but eventually just replaced the glass with new. UV and ozone gets to it over time.