View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?...

Bliz
07-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Has anyone ever tried to superglue a hook to a live eel?...

I was considering trying to set up a rig that utilizes a small tubular piece of foam (for bouyancy) much like the foam used today for earplugs in the workplace with a hook going through it...

I was wondering if this would adhere to the skin of an eel using crazyglue?

I was hoping to find a way to keep the eel off the bottom while using a weight & fishfinder on a rig.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?...

beachwalker
07-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Do you really think you could keep the eel steady enough ?

Interesting thought. How about a harness like one has for their pets ?

striperjerk1
07-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Maybe one of those clear floats they use in fresh water. just add to leader.

Bliz
07-17-2003, 09:57 AM
If you were to chill it a bit, and wrap it in a damp paper towel, you may be able to secure it long enough for the glue to set...

I'm trying to find a creative way to develop a rig that would be effective...

Bliz
07-17-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm trying to find a way to preserve the eel as well...

a rig that doesn't hook the eel would be beneficial for this type of setup...

Jimbo
07-17-2003, 10:11 AM
You might consider trying something using those small rubber bands like kids with braces get. They are incredibly strong and I bet would hold something on an eel without slipping or choking the life out of it. I noticed the last batch my girl got were made of teflon. (If not for this, don't rule them out when you need holding power in a small spot, like holding guides for wrapping, rigging a sinker for pulling off in wreck fishing, etc.)

Mike P
07-17-2003, 10:16 AM
If #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& reads this thread, John is gonna have to talk him down from the Jamestown Bridge :D :laughs:

Bliz
07-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Great idea Jimbo!... I'm hoping that a number of us can kick around this idea, and who knows?....

Maybe something will come of it!...

I'm pondering ideas on how to qiuckly and securely fasten something onto an eel that will both not hook into it, and yet keep it buoyant in the water...

Another idea I'm kicking around utilizes a small wire mesh device much like the ones used to hold cables...

perhaps made of monofilament?...

Anyway, this makes for a creative thread for ideas on developing a device to rig eels!...

PNG
07-17-2003, 10:42 AM
I think you need to get the water checked out yer way......

Jimbo
07-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Well as long as the jist of the thread is to be creative, and thinking outside the box, if the government can train bees to sniff out land mines, I see no reason, if you raised them from a pup, that you couldn't train an eel to put on a little PFD with a hook attached to it before it's removed from the bait bucket for active duty.

beachwalker
07-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Maybe you could train one to get sucked into the basses stomach with and epirb, hang out for the next decade or so giving her feeding adice the entire time. And then, when she's reached the plump old weight of around 100 lbs. and is about to die, engage the epirb. It will require that you stay in touch with the coasties so when the eel sends her yer way and engages the signal they will know it is YOUR fish.

Would kind of guarantee that slob we all dream about. A few odd bugs to work out.

Somebody mentioned I could think out of the box on this one, right ?

Bliz
07-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Yer way beyond the box on that one !

Christian
07-17-2003, 11:30 AM
i got lots of elastics cause i never wore them. i like to use em for eel skin plugs.
wire ties...... i dunno, through the gills and around the hook or right behind the head, really tight.

Bass Nut
07-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Have you thought of the possibility of accidentally supergluing the eel to your hand?

That would be very funny to see I must say!

No real input, just my $.02

BN

:jump:

bassmaster
07-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Mike P
If #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& reads this thread, John is gonna have to talk him down from the Jamestown Bridge :D :laughs:
Im on the Bourne right now:smash:

Billyboy
07-17-2003, 01:25 PM
And jus t when you get the hook glued to the eel, you relax and the eel curls into one of the sweetest eel balls you've ever seen. Haven't had a proble with the current way of hooking them

Bill

Bliz
07-17-2003, 02:51 PM
How about getting rockwrapped on the bottom while drifting?...

PNG
07-17-2003, 03:15 PM
I have been having a heck of a time fishing this ol Creek Chub Pikie............ The darn thing kept hanging up on the bottom.

I wasnt sure what to do.......then after reading Bliz'z eels issues it struck me. Go to Tiverton , drink some water, smoke some piyotie and wait for the great fishing god to send a vision.

This is what the master sent....

Bliz
07-17-2003, 03:24 PM
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

rocketman
07-17-2003, 04:17 PM
I predict that you will glue the eel to your hand.

rocketman
07-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Actually you gave me a great idea! I can use those ear plugs along with my bait to float it up off the bottom to keep the crabs guessing.

Jenn
07-17-2003, 08:07 PM
I see no reason, if you raised them from a pup, that you couldn't train an eel to put on a little PFD with a hook attached to it before it's removed from the bait bucket for active duty.

...and pasngas's pic

OH I HOW I NEEDED THAT! i almost fell of my chair laughin!

OK...all serious now.....just HOW do you plan to get the super glue to stick to the eel slime???

blackeye
07-17-2003, 08:42 PM
how about...
staples
chinese finger traps
fly paper
duct tape
welding
velcro
magnetize the eel and de-magnetize the float
rivets
sheet metal screws

Bill L
07-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Bliz, all you need is some small water wings, just need to get the eels to put their arms through the....... no wait, that won't work .......:smash:

Seriously though, don't get fancy with the rigging or else can you say "EEL BALL"? Just hook em through the mouth and fish them. Use a slip/rubber core sinker if you want to get them down, or three way them if you want to get them really down. Constantly retrieve slowly to keep them out of any hidey holes

beachwalker
07-17-2003, 09:12 PM
And I was JUST finishing my eel submersible drawings.

I have this great idea to make a little subamrine for them so they are way more comfortabl................ :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

KLMulder
07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Lets all sing it now...............................My eel lives in a yellow submarine a yellow submarine a yellow submarine.................. and he scared all the bass away the bass away the bas%$#^*%(%#*$** wait thats not good n ot good at all scrap the submarine idea guys time to think of something else.:wall: :bsod:

beachwalker
07-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Or learn to laugh at this ENTIRE thread.........

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Saltheart
07-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Stick an Alkseltzer in its mouth and tie shut quickly. It will either blow up and float or if you are lucky , little bubbles will come squirting out its butt and jet propell it offf the bottom. :)

Oh , BTW , for a hundred years fisherman have been trying to figure out how to get the eel to stay on the bottom. Trying to get it off the botttom is definitely a new approach. :)

Gotta love Chris' Creek Chub rig!! :)

bassmaster
07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
You Bums are a Pissa, The whole Mess Of Ya
lmao

striperjerk1
07-17-2003, 11:22 PM
give him a shot of helium, he wont mind.

bloocrab
07-17-2003, 11:45 PM
...it just occured to me.....

.....you guys must NOT be catching fish..:laughs: :smash::bshake:

Bliz
07-18-2003, 05:46 AM
Supergluing it to my hand would be like watching an eel rodeo!

Say, just how long do you think that puppy would be able to ride my hand for?...:smash:

As far as your comments are concerned Bloo...

o.k.

You got me! ...the gig is up!

You've found me out! :blush:

"Hi, my name is Bliz, and I don't catch any bass... I like to glue eels to my hands to see how long it takes to shake them off of me..."

" Organizations like Greenpeace love me because I don't put hooks into my eels when I fish.

When I bottom fish, I always make sure my eel wears ear plugs, and when I fish them near the surface...

I always make sure that my eel is wearing a life preserver.

I'm feeling kinda thirsty from typing all of this, so I think I'll go to the sink for another glass of water...

then I'm gonna eat some more of them mushroom thingy's & work on some more of those Creek Chubs I've been using...

Thanks for the idea Chris!

Bliz
07-18-2003, 05:47 AM
My wife needs to let me out of the house more often...

Mr. Kav
07-18-2003, 06:49 AM
wendy's chili

Bliz
07-18-2003, 06:53 AM
With or without the mouse?

JohnR
07-18-2003, 07:25 AM
You have all invented the perfect catchless eel!

" News just breaking.... This from Discovery Kids. After unsuccesfully trying to reinvent the wheel for nearly 3 years and after the highly public pullout from investers, the Hole in the Wall Gang has redirected it's efforts to creating the first PETA approved fishing lure... News at Eleven..."

Otay - just my opinions here:
Has anyone ever tried to superglue a hook to a live eel?...

I was considering trying to set up a rig that utilizes a small tubular piece of foam (for bouyancy) much like the foam used today for earplugs in the workplace with a hook going through it..

I was wondering if this would adhere to the skin of an eel using crazyglue?

I was hoping to find a way to keep the eel off the bottom while using a weight & fishfinder on a rig.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?...

If you're going to chunk an eel and it's live, you're gonna have problems. I've heard of some people hooking thru a tail but when I tried it a while back, still had the eel ball up. You can chunk a fresh dead one.... Why does the eel work so well? Because you are using a live bait that you can impart control on AND take advantage of some of it's characteristics. LET the eel swim deep, let it move around an cover some ground, let it spread it's scent around as it moves, let it get it's little vibrations out.

Don't glue it to a bobber and chunk it... Just my humble Opinion.... I think he's gonna jump from Hazzard & Newton....

Bliz
07-18-2003, 07:40 AM
After getting caught up so much on the rocks where I have been fishing, :rolleyes:

I'm ready to try just about anything! :smash:

Perhaps I need to simply find other areas to fish eels! :confused:

JohnR
07-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Bliz - when I was younger I used to sail and occasionally race little sail boats, Lasers, Larks, 470s for those that know what they are. I was once told by one of the best racers that if I wasn't capsizing the boat from time to time, I wasn't on the razors edge and I wasn't trying hard enough. Same thing with eeling in the rocks and the same thing I imagine from fishing the Ditrch "If you're not losing jigs, you're not fishing it right...."

Eeling is the same way - you want that eel in the rocks so when that bass sees it come around the corner of that rock WHAMMM it inhales that eel. Getting occasionally caught is the price for being in those rocks, on the bottom where the big fish tend. You also need to be working the eel as a lure where you can impart control on it... You just shouldn't CHUNK an eel, at least a live one. Work the eel like a plug!

fishweewee
07-18-2003, 08:12 AM
Give the eel a shot of Wild Turkey or some Jose Cuervo - least you could do before you stick a giant hook through his head. Might even slow him down a bit. :p

Bliz
07-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Weemaster, when will you be returning to Jamestown?...

Bliz
07-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Good Advice John, but it does get to be frustrating now & then being hung up alot of the time... :smash:

I'll keep at it until I catch large!...

Has anyone seen or heard hyde nor hair from Greg?...

How has he been?...

JohnR
07-18-2003, 10:17 AM
I think last weekend was his daughter's wedding in which case I think Mr & Mrs GB need some unwinding :)

Bliz - have you been casting and retrieving eels? Or just chunking them?

BS4Shore
07-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Maybe try one of those wormblowers to try and keep it off the bottom a little bit. I beleive you will have more luck on the bottom because that is the natural habitat for the eels.(match the hatch) As far as the eel balls go I keep the eels in the bottom of a bucket with a sealed bag of ice so that the bag does not leak as it melts. The ice will slow the eels down quite a bit. I rub my hands in the sand before handling the eels to give myself a little more grip. To decrease my number of eel balls I get I will take the eel right before I put it on the hook I will whack its tail rather hard against the rim of the bucket. This seems to semi stun the back half of the eel to the point that you still get action but limited number of eel balls. I drift my eel out slowly usually fishing rips. When the eel is at the back of the rip I close the spool and retreive SLOWLY keeping the eel on the bottom. When I get a hit I drop the rod tip and freespool to let the fish run then depending on if I'm using circle hooks or not I set up on the fish appropriately. Good luck

Bliz
07-21-2003, 06:06 AM
I have been fishing eels both ways recently.

However, the problems I encounter are when drifting them.

I have been drifting & retrieving where there is a good amount of current .

I would cast upstream of the current and let the eel drift it's way down.

The problems I encounter are when the eel works it's way down into the water column & wraps me up on the rocks and multiple lines that have been cut off by others

This particular area which appears to have been fished pretty heavily over the course of time.

I think my priomary issue is that I need to find better spots to fish with eels... :smash:

especially when drifting them...

BS4Shore
07-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Maybe try casting to different spot and start your drift from a different area, even try casting from a different spot. Changing either one of these approaches may keep the eel up off the bottom just long enough to get your bait over the discarded line and hang-ups. It really sounds like you need to find a different area to fish eels:rolleyes: Another thing you might try is to use a foam bobber type of system that will let the eel swim naturally but keep it just up off the bottom. Good Luck

JohnR
07-21-2003, 09:31 AM
You need a good current if you'r going to free drift your eels - like a breachway, tidal pond dump or a good riptide. If you can reach a decent rip you can work it in and out along and down the rip to find fish but unless you have some good moving water it's not wise to just let it sit. You gotta work it like a plug. And if you consider that a third of your bass on eels will be within 20' of shore you want to work it like a plug anyway... All drifing eels from shore does is allow you to cover more/different area when there is enopugh current to do it.

I would cast upstream of the current and let the eel drift it's way down. For this make sure you keep the line just tight enough that you can control it as it gets down. Don't just cast it and dead stick it...

We gotta go fishing so we can discuss that other thing too! I want to get that ball rolling....

Saltheart
07-21-2003, 10:31 AM
OK , now that the superglue idea is thoroughly explred (and forgotten I hope!! :) ) Lets discuss reality.

In addition to what John said , try to remmeber that even when drifting , its nice to keep the eel pointing at you. as long as you are pulling , even a little , on the head to keep it pointing towards you , they won't get tangles. So when drifting , you got to let the line out at a rate that lets the eel move out but still keeps it pointing towards you. Just opening the bail and letting it tumble along freely will get you all balled up. You can still let it ride the current and keep it under control if you practice . Always feel it pulling on the line.

Try going to a beach with no current and casting out. Using an Ambassaduer 6500 reel , you should retrieve the eel at a rate that takes about ten seconds for one turn of the handle. That;s very slow and that's what you want. get a feel for how much pull that puts on the eel. now when in the current , let line out so you maintain about the same amount of pull that you did when slowly retieving on the beach at the rate I described.

In addition to keeping the eel untangled , you'll also be in touch with it better for when you get a hit.

redcrbbr
07-21-2003, 11:39 AM
i think mr Kav was on the right track with wendys chilli. all you have to do is feed the eel and then get one of those foam ear plugs and stuff it into the eels bung hole:laughs:

Bliz
07-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the advice gents!... I have only started using eels this year, and it's already been an experience...

I appreciate your letting me glean from the collective experience of all of you on this site ~ it's been extemely helpful!

... and humerous Redcrbbr!...

As for getting out to grab some evening Bass... I would like to hook up with you John, and also with you Mike for some jigging!

Let me know when is best for either of you, and I'll try to hook up for some fishing...

I need to find a repair kit, as I have yet to wade out anywhere in a dry pair of waders :smash: :smash:

KLMulder
07-21-2003, 01:47 PM
why not dip your ells in pine tar so they stick to the inside of the basses ( is that a word? ) mouth when they suckthem in. Then it will take them longer to spit them out and you will have lots of time to set the hook. Ill have to try that when chunkin squid.:laughs:

Bliz
07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
:rolleyes: Thanks...

Bliz
07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
It's been alot of fun so far!...