View Full Version : Mounting new radio

Poncho
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Hi guys, I just got my new icom radio in the mail. I read the instructions and it says I need to mount it three feet away from the compass because of interference. Problem is my compass is in the middle of the console, and there is not sufficient room anywhere to mount it 3 feet away. Is there any solution for this problem? Should I return it and buy a high end hand held? I also read that excess coax cable should not be bundled together as it will cause a magnetic field that will interfere with compass. Is there any truth to this?thanks again - Poncho

thefishingfreak
04-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Mount it where you can.
Look at the compass without the radio installed, note heading. Then place the radio where you want it and see how much, if any, the compass spins. If it doesn't go in circles your good.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

seadogg
04-23-2015, 08:23 PM
An option you could explore is using a remote mic. Icom offers a few vhf models that can be mounted out of sight, operated by a mic that connects via a cable. They actually make a "black box" model that functions only with a remote mic. Mount the radio in a console, for example, and mount the small remote mic somewhere accessible around the dash. Don't go with a handheld. Even the best models are limited in their range.

Fly Rod
04-24-2015, 06:32 AM
If U have a center console with cabinet in front of steering wheel mount in cabinet away from compass base....that is what I did no interferance....one other thing now they have the connections where U do not need to solder....my experience is soldering is better cuts out the static

Piscator
04-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Hi guys, I just got my new icom radio in the mail. I read the instructions and it says I need to mount it three feet away from the compass because of interference. Problem is my compass is in the middle of the console, and there is not sufficient room anywhere to mount it 3 feet away. Is there any solution for this problem? Should I return it and buy a high end hand held? I also read that excess coax cable should not be bundled together as it will cause a magnetic field that will interfere with compass. Is there any truth to this?thanks again - Poncho

There is a lot more than just the radio that will interfere with deviation of the compass and all vessels have a different magnetic field. Deviation will change when adding and removing equipment including electronics, outriggers, T-top even a cell phone near the compass can cause deviation...

beamie
04-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Like others have said, put it where you can....and before permanently mounting power it up and look at the compass.

When reading the manual.....RULES ON MOUNTING LOCATIONS ARE OFTEN BROKEN ON SMALL BOATS WRT ELECTRONICS AND DISTANCES. Even if you have it 'professionally' installed. Really no way around it.

PRBuzz
04-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Mine is mounted right under the compass on CC and no issues. Question: do you really use the compass to navigate? ;)

Raider Ronnie
04-24-2015, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=PRBuzz;1071298]Mine is mounted right under the compass on CC and no issues. Question: do you really use the compass to navigate? ;)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOT

I have one of my chart plotters on the compass screen 90% of the time and use it a lot or at least pay attention to it for the course I'm on being underway or resetting drifts.
Boat compass, never

Poncho
04-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Buzz I don't really use it to navigate but I do use it to help me make sure I I'm not deveating from my course fom
Spot to spot. And certainly god forbide I ever need it in fog or dark when GPS goes down I sure as hell don't want interference

beamie
04-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Mine is mounted right under the compass on CC and no issues. Question: do you really use the compass to navigate? ;)

In conjunction with the chartplotter YES. Once the plotter gives you the course I reference the compass allot but mostly look at the plotter rum line and boat cursor.

Poncho
04-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Way are the odds of losing GPS? never really thought about that.

niko
04-24-2015, 07:40 PM
happened to me at nauset - had to run back to green harbor. was glad to have a compass once we got to race pt

thefishingfreak
04-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Your not navigating in from the Azores.
Close enough, is good enough

Piscator
04-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Your not navigating in from the Azores.
Close enough, is good enough

Who are you kidding, If you could hold enough fuel you would be making a run to the Azores....

thefishingfreak
04-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Ya, but Phil would be driving home

Guppy
04-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Coming back from a hair brain swordfish trip S of Nantucket in my youth we missed the isl coming back,,, where the fugawi... :spin:

beamie
04-25-2015, 07:10 AM
....one other thing now they have the connections where U do not need to solder....my experience is soldering is better cuts out the static

Good advice here.......soldering that coax end on to the cable vice crimping always good in the marine environment. this applies to all connections on boats. Naked stakons soldered and then some tube over that, a bit of extra work but the best solution.

Poncho
04-26-2015, 05:30 PM
After all this I sent radio back there is no room a anywhere on that boat to instal radio with out it being in the way of something

PRBuzz
04-26-2015, 07:17 PM
After all this I sent radio back there is no room a anywhere on that boat to instal radio with out it being in the way of something

So how are you going to contanct anyone in case of emergency? Doubt 911 works too well, but it will work some, at sea :)

Poncho
04-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Buzz I am going to get a hand held I understand they work pretty well.

PRBuzz
04-27-2015, 05:20 AM
Buzz I am going to get a hand held I understand they work pretty well.

I use this one as backup on my boat:

Standard Horizon HX851 6W Floating Handheld VHF Radio

Poncho
04-27-2015, 05:47 AM
Thanks buzz.

thefishingfreak
04-27-2015, 07:59 AM
With a 6 watt handheld, verses a 25 watt fixed mount, you'll be LUCKY to get 6 miles of range.
Handhelds are for backup.
Mount a good fixed mount wherever it will fit. Don't' worry about the compass, or how it looks. heck Mount it under the seat if you need to.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/HorizonDistance2_zpswpjzkf8r.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/thefishingfreak/media/HorizonDistance2_zpswpjzkf8r.jpg.html)

Nebe
04-27-2015, 08:43 AM
I mounted mine inside my console on its side out of the way and out of the elements. You could access it, but it wasn't easy. My logic was it was very protected and I would probably only use it in an emergency anyway, so why have it exposed?

Piscator
04-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Like others have said, Install a radio wherever you can, the handheld is for backup and you are taking a huge risk just relying on that...

zacs
04-27-2015, 09:29 AM
i couldn't imagine not having a fixed VHF. Post a pic of the console and we can suggest some options.

Nebe
04-27-2015, 10:16 AM
I mounted my bracket on a block of scrap teak and then used 3M 5200 to attach the teak to the inside of the console so that there was zero hardware issues... Worked great.

Van
04-27-2015, 04:05 PM
That sucks Poncho.

Buy a bigger boat and you won't have that problem.

...........Just saying..........

But I agree, don't rely on a handheld.
Mount the ICOM anywhere and get a long antenna.
That gives you the range.

MakoMike
04-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Don't go longer than an 8 foot antenna, if you have room for a taller antenna use an antenna extension to get it higher. 6Db is about the ideal for VHF.

SweetD
04-30-2015, 02:48 PM
I mounted mine inside my console on its side out of the way and out of the elements. You could access it, but it wasn't easy. My logic was it was very protected and I would probably only use it in an emergency anyway, so why have it exposed?

Same here. I have a relatively small console on my boat. VHF (almost never use) is in the "glove box" under the wheel. Fishfinder and plotter are behind the windshield next to each other. Small Ritchie compass just behind the top of the windshield on its bracket. Compass does not deviate with any/all of the aforementioned equipment powered up. All within 18" of each other.

As others state, much rather have the handheld as a backup and have a real VHF with long antenna as primary. My antenna is 8' and mounted on the side of the console. Coax cable has always been coiled in the console and never been a problem either.

$0.02, good luck!

Dave

Poncho
04-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys

piemma
05-02-2015, 12:51 PM
i couldn't imagine not having a fixed VHF. Post a pic of the console and we can suggest some options.

Ditto. Mine is in the overhear locker. I have a CC so plenty of room in the overhead.