View Full Version : Striped Bass "The National Fish" - bill introduced today!

Fish_Eye
04-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Here's something I'm proud to support and promote.
Please contact your representative and have them cosponsor this bill.
Share this video with everyone you possibly can.

https://youtu.be/owI0RzPlEcU

thefishingfreak
04-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Where can we read the actual bill that is being brought to legislation?

PRBuzz
04-28-2015, 04:07 PM
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-bill-proclaims-striped-bass-our-national-fish-300073612.html

Working on the actual bill. ;) Thinking that since it was just filed today will take a while to make it into the congressional public record.

thefishingfreak
04-28-2015, 05:12 PM
I saw that Phil.
"a status that could ensure greater respect and protection than is currently available under limited fishery management plans designed to merely maintain the stocks"

I'm giving it the squinty eye
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
04-28-2015, 05:53 PM
is this bill pushing for gamefish status?

Zeno
04-28-2015, 07:21 PM
is this bill pushing for gamefish status?
of course not....i was told RFA would never support that although I never understood that since their members are all recreational fishermen
Hope I am wrong

Piscator
04-28-2015, 07:54 PM
of course not....i was told RFA would never support that although I never understood that since their members are all recreational fishermen
Hope I am wrong

The RFA has a large number of Charter Boat Captains who in turn are Commercial Fisherman as well.

Zeno
04-29-2015, 03:50 AM
you saying that although their name is "recreational” association they represent commercial fishermen too? I guess this makes sense as you are saying many for hire capt are comms too. I wonder how they deal with conflict of interest when these issues arise when trying to represent both sides when it comes to allocation.
ps ( i got nothing against the comm fishermen. These are some of the hardest working guys around. )

PRBuzz
04-29-2015, 06:12 AM
"The Striped Bass American Heritage Act" - sponsored by Congressman Tom MacArthur of NJ to have the striped bass declared America's National Fish. Thanks for the heads-up Mike Laptew. Here's the text of the Act:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Striped Bass American Heritage Act’’.

SEC. 2. DESIGNATION OF ATLANTIC STRIPED BASS AS NATIONAL FISH OF THE UNITED STATES.

(a) FINDINGS.—The Congress finds the following:

(1) The striped bass, Morone saxatilis, is an anadromous species, frequenting and requiring both fresh water and salt water throughout its life.
(2) The Atlantic striped bass has played an important role in the development and growth of the United States.
(3) The Atlantic striped bass is identified as playing a pivotal role in providing the Pilgrims of the Plymouth Colony sustenance in 1620.
(4) The Nation’s first fishing conservation law was enacted in 1639, pertaining to the use of Atlantic striped bass.
(5) The Nation’s first free public school was funded with income derived from the income accrued from Atlantic striped bass in 1670.
(6) Atlantic striped bass from the Navesink River in New Jersey were transported west to San Francisco Bay via railway car in 1879 during the country’s great expansion west.
(7) Atlantic striped bass spawn in freshwater, the success of which is influenced by environmental conditions, habitat, and water conditions.
(8) Widespread pollution of coastal estuaries and rivers and overfishing in the 1960’s and 1970’s lead to dramatic decline of the Atlantic striped bass population and the passage of the Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act in 1984 (16 U.S.C 5151 et seq.).
(9) Through Executive Order 13449, issued on October 24, 2007, Atlantic striped bass in Federal waters were afforded protection from sale.
(10) The Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act is a regional management success due in part to the moratorium authority vested in both the Secretary of Commerce and the Secretary of the Interior who can declare jointly a moratorium on fishing for Atlantic striped bass within the coastal waters of any coastal State if the Secretaries determine that coastal State to be out of compliance with any regulatory measures necessary to fully implement and enforce the Atlantic striped bass management plan within its coastal waters.
(11) The Atlantic striped bass population responded positively to management measures and improvements to water quality, and was therefore declared rebuilt in 1995.
(12) The Atlantic striped bass supports significant and sustainable commercial and recreational fisheries that provide income, employment, and food.
(13) The Atlantic striped bass, through its resilience and persistence, represents the American ideals and spirit that helped shaped the Nation.

(b) DECLARATION. — The Atlantic striped bass, Morone saxatilis, is designated as the National Fish of the United States.

Fish_Eye
04-29-2015, 06:32 AM
PRBuzz, thanks for posting the details of the Bill.

This designation will bring more public attention to a fish we obviously love and respect. It could help lead to more future support for cleaning rivers, getting more enforcement, more research, and regulations that put the restoration of the fish first. This isn't about "game fish" status, or recs vs commercials -- it's all about awareness and bestowing a status on a fish (our fish) that deserves the title "National Fish of the United States" a whole lot more than the American Eagle deserves the designation National Bird. JMHO

l.i.fish.in.vt
04-29-2015, 06:40 AM
i would be willing to bet that cod played a much bigger role than bass in the early development of this country. in many of the fresh water lakes and resovoirs that they have been introduced to they are considered a nuisance fish.it has only been in the last 15 to 20 years that SB has become a popular fish to target for the masses.

thefishingfreak
04-29-2015, 06:54 AM
I would be willing to bet that the freshwater largemouth bass which is most likely found in at least 48 of the 50 states would crush this as the "National Fish" if B.A.S.S spoke up.

JohnR
04-29-2015, 08:44 AM
:rotflmao: B.A.S.S - you are correct

Piscator
04-29-2015, 09:35 AM
you saying that although their name is "recreational” association they represent commercial fishermen too? I guess this makes sense as you are saying many for hire capt are comms too. I wonder how they deal with conflict of interest when these issues arise when trying to represent both sides when it comes to allocation.
ps ( i got nothing against the comm fishermen. These are some of the hardest working guys around. )

Yes, it's mostly Charter fisherman who hold commercial permits as the Charter guys rely on rec fisherman. Many commercial fisherman are also recreational fisherman themselves. I think there is conflict of interest in some cases here, I think they put those aside for larger issues such as DHRA etc. I think there is also a difference within the commercial fisherman community with regards to rod and reel vs draggers etc. Sort of like when political parties fight internally...

zimmy
04-29-2015, 01:26 PM
it has only been in the last 15 to 20 years that SB has become a popular fish to target for the masses.

Twenty years puts it at 1995. Maybe last 50 years.

Fish_Eye
04-29-2015, 07:11 PM
Striped bass fishing was very popular in 1860 at the West Island Club, but that only included the tycoons of the day.

There is a picture in the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club showing President Roosevelt and Taft together in 1908. Also in the picture was the president of Standard Oil and other movers and shakers of the day. A few months later Roosevelt suggested that Taft should be his successor and he was nominated. Those titans of industry and politics went to Cutty to fish for bass where they probably decided who should be the next president...over a glass of Hennessy...and a plate of striped bass. Yes, striped bass do indeed have a history in the development of this country.

Rockport24
04-30-2015, 01:40 PM
good point FishEye! Too bad we don't decide who the next president is today at Cutty, or we would have Clammer!! :D

MakoMike
04-30-2015, 04:29 PM
good point FishEye! Too bad we don't decide who the next president is today at Cutty, or we would have Clammer!! :D

That might be better than the nincompoops we have running the county today! :)

Nebe
04-30-2015, 04:33 PM
It's gonna be Bernie Sanders

bobber
04-30-2015, 06:14 PM
It's gonna be Bernie Sanders

I'm totally voting for that guy............