View Full Version : Any squid around?

JFigliuolo
05-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Thinking about hitting the bay from the boat for some calamari. Curious if they are around yet.

niko
05-04-2015, 08:07 AM
I haven't heard anything good yet

PRBuzz
05-04-2015, 08:10 AM
My intel from Sunday says wait
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Gloucester2
05-04-2015, 02:05 PM
The draggers unloading in Falmouth scored well - 10 - 12 totes each - and they were back at the dock by 1pm so they weren't killing themselves doing it . .. . :hihi:

Cohenfishin
05-04-2015, 04:33 PM
My intel from Sunday says wait

I heard the same from reliable sources, but with the full moon and rising temps it should be any day now. I'm planing to go Saturday I will let you know what I find.

scottw
05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
I watched pods of squid cruising in Newport Saturday night at one location with bass stalking close behind in many instances ...there was a lot of human activity when I stopped by the causeway later but only saw a few squid in buckets

Guppy
05-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Marked bait out in front of Hyannass end of last week,,, nothing but a schoolie rod on board,,, dah

Nebe
05-04-2015, 06:07 PM
I made a really cool squid today :hee:

iamskippy
05-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Few here and there but.not the numbers your looking for.

bassballer
05-05-2015, 10:03 AM
I watched pods of squid cruising in Newport Saturday night at one location with bass stalking close behind in many instances ...there was a lot of human activity when I stopped by the causeway later but only saw a few squid in buckets

yeah i heard of some being taken at the causeway. Little bit out for big numbers though.

scottw
05-06-2015, 05:47 AM
saw one boat sitting under the bridge last night...Ft Adams might be the spot, that place is lit up like a christmas tree late into the night with the sailing event going on there, never seen it quite like that

numbskull
05-07-2015, 07:04 PM
I made a really cool squid today :hee:

Picture please!

wdmso
05-08-2015, 04:44 AM
was thinking about squid myself from the boat in newport I know all the shore spots but boat spots I am flying blind all suggestions accepted
via PM and possible partners I wont go out at night with just me in the Boat :btu:

fish4striper
05-08-2015, 06:35 AM
We need a squid flotilla some night with a few boats. See pm. was thinking about squid myself from the boat in newport I know all the shore spots but boat spots I am flying blind all suggestions accepted
via PM and possible partners I wont go out at night with just me in the Boat :btu:

JamesJet
05-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Any on cape yet? I want to try and my son is way more excited to catch a squid than anything else. I have to admit I am pretty intrigued myself. I have a read a bunch, bought some jigs and going to start giving it a shot. I assume incoming high is the right tide? PMs are welcome, specifically looking for a more kid friendly place if that even exists in this kind of thing.

fish4striper
05-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Check pm Any on cape yet? I want to try and my son is way more excited to catch a squid than anything else. I have to admit I am pretty intrigued myself. I have a read a bunch, bought some jigs and going to start giving it a shot. I assume incoming high is the right tide? PMs are welcome, specifically looking for a more kid friendly place if that even exists in this kind of thing.

PRBuzz
05-08-2015, 03:15 PM
I didn't get that PM :)

Guppy
05-08-2015, 04:23 PM
We need a squid flotilla some night with a few boats. See pm.

I'm in, I'll come down there, squid jiggers needed 😀

Nebe
05-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Picture please!here ya go..

Clammer
05-08-2015, 08:46 PM
CLAMMER CRASH >> is good for a night as long as Denis lets us go for wings 1st ><><:kewl:

teezer
05-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Hyannis is on fire! I got about 30 last night in Newport

jonserfish
05-09-2015, 05:06 PM
nebe, that is amazing!

Nebe
05-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks jonserfish!

Cohenfishin
05-09-2015, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=teezer;1072446]Hyannis is on fire! I got about 30 last night in Newport
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE. I was in Hyannis today got 150lbs in 5 hours.

Guppy
05-09-2015, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=teezer;1072446]Hyannis is on fire! I got about 30 last night in Newport
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE. I was in Hyannis today got 150lbs in 5 hours.

Just came by the ramp at Lewis bay rd.,,,, complete zoo, never seen it like that, but I only use it in the off months for claiming

Cohenfishin
05-09-2015, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=Cohenfishin;1072467]

Just came by the ramp at Lewis bay rd.,,,, complete zoo, never seen it like that, but I only use it in the off months for claiming Ya I stayed away from there. Figured it would be a chit show so I made the run from falmouth... It was great. Only 5 trailers I'm the lot.

jredfly
05-10-2015, 05:05 AM
here ya go..

Very Cool!!!

Nice work.

piemma
05-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Thinking about hitting the bay from the boat for some calamari. Curious if they are around yet.

I didn't see any squid Joe but there are a boat load of pogies and bass in the Bay. I got into fish yesterday morning but they wouldn't touch a pogy. They were on something much smaller and really smashed a small Yozui swimmer. Nothing huge all 20 to 30". Right where you and I fished together last Spring.

ThrowingTimber
05-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Crushed it in hyannis friday night. Two 7.5 gallon buckets and roughly four 5 gallon buckets total (between 4 of us) super ccccccold once that wind picked up and fog rolled in. The guys anchored in the channel with bright bight halogens, obscuring navigational aids were quite the treat on our way back in 😕 agreed cohen, ramp at lewis is an absolute fuster cluck!

Hopefully it holds up for a few more weeks, and newport picks up. That drive from hyannis home at 2am solo suuuuuuuuucks!

Nebe
05-10-2015, 09:52 PM
I went tonight for a bit and got kind of frustrated. I have never really mastered the art of squid jigging....
Anyone who is really good at this care to share some techniques? Line test, preferred jigs, what to shoot for in regards to depth, jigging style, etc..

PaulS
05-11-2015, 07:15 AM
here ya go..

That is pretty cool.

JohnnySaxatilis
05-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Saw the floating city out there Saturday on my way to Osterville, did the double take :eek:

RIROCKHOUND
05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
I went tonight for a bit and got kind of frustrated. I have never really mastered the art of squid jigging....
Anyone who is really good at this care to share some techniques? Line test, preferred jigs, what to shoot for in regards to depth, jigging style, etc..

Yes, bring a $50 bill with you when the bite is hot. Takes 5min to go home with squid...

Nebe
05-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Ha!

O.D. Mike
05-11-2015, 11:57 AM
There's a lot of good information for shore and boat fishermen in this video. I like how you can kill both sides of the squid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLEEdUfSvY

ThrowingTimber
05-11-2015, 02:00 PM
light or ultra light freshwater setup, light line 4-6 pound freshwater flouro line is what I use. Dropper loops spaced a good distance apart, small weight or heavier jig on the bottom of the setup. Pitch up current, feel anything "funny" just reel, dont bounce the rod tip.

For the droppers, space them so if you've hooked 2 squid that are 1 foot long they arent banging into eachother. At times I will skip the jig on the bottom and just use a 1-2oz rubber core if its a snaggy bottom. (sand jig on bottom, snaggy weight or rubbercore) No expert by any means, hope this helps.

If you're traveling light, just wrap a strip of tin foil over the tines and you can throw a couple jigs right in the front pocket of a sweatshirt.

Nebe
05-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys ! Gonna put this to use tonight...
(I live about 3 blocks from the calamari causeway, so I have no excuses )

ProfessorM
05-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Saw the floating city out there Saturday on my way to Osterville, did the double take :eek:

Yeah a friend from O ville was out there last week and did real well in his little boat

bobber
05-11-2015, 10:06 PM
some around the eastern CT harbors too..... but not like they have them up in Mass