View Full Version : Beluga Whales in Narragansett Bay

cow tamer
05-12-2015, 05:10 AM
Three beluga whales spotted, on vacation from up North.

wdmso
05-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Was at the Volvo Ocean race one of the crew who saw them was surprised they were here ! He has only seen them north of Scotland.. must be with the squid ?

But I did see one in the Taunton river last year the are bright white

Nebe
05-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Tastes like chicken!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Flat
05-12-2015, 09:14 AM
There was one in Woods Hole last year too, well, Hadleys, close enough

DZ
05-12-2015, 09:47 AM
To: All vessels transiting Narragansett Bay

During the week of May 10, 2015 there have been numerous reports of a small group of Beluga Whales in Narragansett Bay.

Mariners should be aware that approaches within 100 feet of protected whales is prohibited and should report all sightings to the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Marine Fisheries Section at (401) 423-1923

For more information please refer to the NOAA Fisheries Protected Resources Division at the following link: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/laws/index.htm

Thank you

ThrowingTimber
05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
If they go north of fox point, they're going to get eaten... just sayin'

:hidin:

bassballer
05-12-2015, 10:55 AM
If they go north of fox point, they're going to get eaten... just sayin'

:hidin:

:bl::bl:

Nebe
05-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Or under the causeway

bassballer
05-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Could you imagine the hysteria on the causeway if someone hooked one. There would be a bed of someones pick up on the west side of the brigde in 1 minute.

Nebe
05-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Hahaha! It would be filleted and probably on a BBQ in minutes

Raven
05-12-2015, 05:36 PM
i need some fresh oil for my whale oil lamp

Steve K
05-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Tastes like chicken!

Like over cooked chicken

bassballer
05-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Hahaha! It would be filleted and probably on a BBQ in minutes

haha or in some sort of casserole

chefchris401
05-14-2015, 03:36 PM
They were off warren beach yesterday afternoon and then colt state around 4-7pm

The crew from mystic aquarium was following them around

If you're on FB, look at butch lombardis pics, awesome shots

Captain Jason Colby
05-15-2015, 11:43 AM
They were off warren beach

Elizabeth Warren can eat them!
(she is an Native American ya know)......JC

MakoMike
05-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Press Release: NOAA Fisheries Team to Continue Research on Beluga Whales off Rhode Island

NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office
May 15 at 2:32 PM

Gloucester, MA--Days after Mystic Aquarium research scientists confirmed reports of beluga whale sightings off the coast of Rhode Island, with help from the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is providing further assessment. Earlier today, a team from NOAA Fisheries, with assistance from Mystic Aquarium's Research and Animal
Rescue teams, located the whales and obtained biopsy samples to assess their health
and genetic origin.

Two of three beluga whales spotted off Rhode Island. Credit: Mystic Aquarium

Robert Michaud, scientific director of the Group for Research and Education on Marine Mammals and coordinator of the Quebec Marine Mammal Emergency Response Network, was able to photo-identify one of the beluga whales as belonging to the threatened St. Lawrence population. This whale was last sighted in 2013. While unconfirmed, it is believed that the others are from the same population. The St. Lawrence belugas have been in a slow population decline for the past decade and were believed to number only around 900 animals in 2012, down from more than 10,000 in the late 1800s.

Although the St. Lawrence population of beluga whales is not listed as threatened or endangered under the U.S.'s Endangered Species Act, these visitors are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act in U.S. waters. Beluga whales have been spotted in Narragansett waters once before, and individuals are occasionally seen in waters off Maine and Massachusetts as well. This is the first time a group of three whales has been spotted together in regional waters, says NOAA Fisheries Marine Mammal Response Coordinator Mendy Garron.

"These whales may have followed the cold waters of the Labrador current down along the coast," says Garron. "Water temperatures are still cool in the Northeast, which may be favorable for beluga whales and their prey."

NOAA Fisheries and Mystic Aquarium reminds residents and boaters in the area that Federal guidelines require people to stay at least 100 feet away from the animals and not chase them or impede their movements. Vessels should slow to no-wake speeds if near the whales. Don't try to interact or feed the whales, as these activities will be detrimental to their health and well-being.

"We ask that boaters keep a sharp lookout for these whales when starting their boats in the marina," said Garron. "We also ask that should the whales approach your boat, you put your boat in neutral until they have passed safely. Also, please report any sightings. Locating the whales will help us keep them safe."

Please report any sightings to NOAA Fisheries' Marine Mammal Stranding and Entanglement Hotline at 866-755-NOAA (6622) or to Mystic Aquarium's Animal Rescue Hotline at 860-572-5955 ext. 107.

Interaction with beluga whales and all marine mammals is prohibited under the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972. Please report harassment to the NOAA Office of Law Enforcement Hotline at 800-853-1964.