View Full Version : Canal

Moron_Saxatilis
06-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Staying at the Herring run Sat. until Sun. with my 10 y/o. He can fish but not 3-4 oz. fish. Any areas near we could try Sat. evening/Sunday morning? Fished the canal last year on Father's day w/e, had just about the whole place to myself. Heard it is crowded now. How bad may I expect? I have korkers so I figured that may get me a little bit of breathing space. Thanks.

Sea Dangles
06-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Try down near the Maritime or over near Scorton
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
06-10-2015, 04:37 PM
You might be OK as the breaking tides are almost over and all the internet heroes will be crawling back in their holes until the next moon.
Not referring to anyone on this site but if you look at FB their are idiots posting pictures of themselves with 30" fish and stating that they are in "Heaven".:rotflmao::scratch:

fatcow
06-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Make sure you lock your stuff up! Been a lot of smash and grabs out there!

ProfessorM
06-10-2015, 06:14 PM
I agree with skinny cow. I don't carry anything more than I need anymore. Used to have a portable tackle shop aboard but no more.

Mike P
06-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Wasn't very crowded at all tonight. Less than 20 guys total, the whole 7 miles of the mainland side. Last week you'd have that many between two light poles.

And yeah, only take what you need. Just the other day, a guy had his truck cap window smashed and a rod/real combo stolen, out of the herring run lot, in broad daylight.

tysdad115
06-10-2015, 08:50 PM
I have been avoiding it all together on the weekends, getting Ty in the surf more is paying off. Korkers will only help you, from what I have seen more and more this year your space is their space. Most (not all) couldn't care less if you are there, they'll come right down on you...
That being said , let me know for sure when your heading down. Tyler and I will meet you guys , together we can successfully block the area so you and your son can fish . We'd be happy to help if you'd like to fish with us.

PaulS
06-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Have your son throw an SP Minnow.

Good luck.

BobT
06-11-2015, 08:09 AM
I think I saw only 3 or 4 spaces left for the public at the Maritime Acc. The rest are for staff.

piemma
06-11-2015, 09:01 AM
I think I saw only 3 or 4 spaces left for the public at the Maritime Acc. The rest are for staff.

So park at the RR Bridge and walk. Take you about 3 minutes.

Mike P
06-11-2015, 12:56 PM

Those regs are only in effect when school is in session.

Moron_Saxatilis
06-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone.

chris L
06-14-2015, 04:58 PM
the smash and grabs seem to be happening everywhere . I have heard of 3 such break ins here in Ct in different locations in the last month . These 3 places were areas you didnt have to worry . I used to leave my rods on top of my truck and go all night without thinking about them . The last few years there have been more and more issues with thieves . I now only take what i need and if there is anything left in truck I cover it .

I stay away from the canal because of all the people fishing there . nothing worse than driving long distance to only find a crowd . And then have to have many in my back pocket .

Moron_Saxatilis
06-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Canal was deader than dog$&^%&^%. The old "should have been here last week".