View Full Version : Plugs in the package you trust

Zeal
06-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Been meaning to make this thread awhile since my disappearance and wasn't sure if I should put it here or under the plug building forum...

Since we all love modding our own plugs and constantly talk about it (which is always fun, interesting, etc.), there is also an abundance of "cheap rings, cheap hooks, get rid of xxx, etc." which is understandable but there has to be some that stand out.

So, what plugs do you guys trust right out of the package without modding anything (we are talking commercial stuff)?

I'll start by saying the few plugs I trust without thinking of looking around on how to mod are my SS Needles (I own a 5.25", the standard one, the SS Heavy, and the Bullet), SS Darters (both regular size just different colors), SS Bottle, and SS Poppers.

chefchris401
06-15-2015, 01:37 PM
plugs i trust out of the package, in no particular order

superstrike
northbar
247 lures
afterhours
ccw
bigfish
guppy
lefthook

plugs that are made to target striped bass are usually good to go out of the package.

Plugs like the sp minnow, redfins, cordells etc werent originally designed for striped bass, locked drags, heavy current etc. and other makes just use cheap rinsg/hooks to save $$

fishbones
06-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Most of what's already been mentioned, and I'd add Gibbs to the list.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Zeal
06-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Plugs like the sp minnow, redfins, cordells etc werent originally designed for striped bass, locked drags, heavy current etc. and other makes just use cheap rinsg/hooks to save $$

What were they originally for?

piemma
06-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Scup?

chefchris401
06-17-2015, 09:00 AM

freshwater species.

sp was probably geared towards stripers but they saved $$ on the hooks and rings

spinncognito
06-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Most of what's already been mentioned, and I'd add Gibbs to the list.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I thought Gibbs was making plugs with both the cheap and solid hardware? Not sure how they are marketing them if true but I did have a tackle store owner tell me that.

RIROCKHOUND
06-17-2015, 09:15 AM
So, what plugs do you guys trust right out of the package without modding anything (we are talking commercial stuff)? .

Bucktail Jigs.