View Full Version : Charter Boat Fishing

ElSluggo
06-21-2015, 09:53 AM
I am going on a charter boat soon it has a first mate I know that you tip him my question is what about the captain, thanks in advance,

bloocrab
06-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Unless you have a SPECTACULAR day with him constantly putting you on and keeping you on fish...I wouldn't bother. Most captains (from my experience) request that you take care of the mate if happy.
Go prepared for it, but play it be ear....you'll know based on how you feel at the end of the trip.
Don't assume yes until it's over.....my opinion.

Sea Dangles
06-21-2015, 04:04 PM
If there is not a mate may tip.Cappy is unlikely to reduce your fare in the event of a lousy trip
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

thefishingfreak
06-21-2015, 05:51 PM
The tip is for the mate.
No mate, then tip the captain
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fly Rod
06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
Agree with fishing freak....:)

Liv2Fish
06-22-2015, 02:51 PM
If the Mate is good, always tip. I was a mate on the Freedom out of Falmouth 25 years ago and you could always tell the #^&#^&#^&#^& bags that were not going to tip you. They would be getting all of their gear together before getting to that dock so they could jump and run. The captain always made sure I got something so if you don't tip the mate, it's likely going to come out of the captains pocket.

FishermanTim
06-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I would ALWAYS tip the mate, because it's hard work to keep everyone happy even on a great day.

The captain gets his pay from the price of the trip, but the mate gets most of theirs from the tips, otherwise the captain usually ponies up for the mate's pay.

Unless you have an exceptionally horrible trip, with exceptionally poor service, tipping is proper.

MakoMike
06-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Just keep in mind that not all Captains are owner/operators. Many Captains are just running the boat for a flat fee for the owner.