View Full Version : Places to swim near Eastham?

Jim in CT
07-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Camping in Eastham with family soon. Little kids will be nervous about the ocean, campground does not have a pool. Any public parks with lakes for swimming, in that area?

Thanks

Swimmer
07-01-2015, 07:36 PM
First Encounter Beach, Campground Beach, Herring Pond is the best fresh wster swimming anywhere. Bayside beaches are tidal meaning at low tide you could walk out 1 1/2 miles on the flats. My family had a place in Eastham a short ways from First Encounter beach for 25 years, you'll love it. Also First Encounter is where the pilgrims made initial contact with native americans. Up on the hill where the monument is and the surrounding brush, it was known to give up arrowheads on occasion.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

clambo
07-01-2015, 07:43 PM
There are many ponds. We go to Orleans contact town hall for maps. If you like salt water head south out of Chatham on 28 you will see water on left side right next to road. At end of water take dirt road on left. It's free and shallow and totally protected. Check a road map and you will see the area. Have fun! FYI Orleans center take left to Rock Harbor at intersection look across street at 11 on a clock. see little white bldg cheap lobster rolls they are great!

Sea Dangles
07-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Corn Hill is great,along with the Pamet.great bike paths down there too. Especially from Head of the Meadow to Ptown. Take the kids to Shop Therapy in Ptown for lunch.

milo
07-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Take a ride to Nickerson state park ,nice freshwater ponds. I go to the one on the left,think it's Flax pond.Great for swimming and miles of bike trails. It is in Brewster and not bad of a ride,great for a day trip and think it is free,have fun

Bronko
07-02-2015, 06:50 AM
Corn Hill is great,along with the Pamet.great bike paths down there too. Especially from Head of the Meadow to Ptown. Take the kids to Shop Therapy in Ptown for lunch.

Second a family trip to Shop Therapy.👍

Jackbass
07-02-2015, 07:37 AM
For lakes check out Wiley park. There are two or three around samoset Rd. and herringbrook rd.

First encounter when the tide turns back in is fun too you can park all the way at the end they call it bees River. If you bring a float you can float from the beach front down the river. Like a natural lazy river. We bring the kids to the ponds in the evening after they stop taking money for a swim.