View Full Version : Old Fly Reels

Got Stripers
07-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I spent a day digging through 40 years of crap (mostly) my girlfriends mother had accumulated in a summer cottage in Plymouth, but among the crap some oldies but goldies.

Two Plfueger No. 1774 in the original boxes, purchased at Lechmere for $1.95 each. There was a Ted Williams Triple Crest Model 3114 also in the original box at a slightly lower price for some reason, a whopping $1.25.

The other fly reel that was loose is a National Sportsman by Horrocks Botson Co in Utica NY, which I've never heard of.

Any of these finds worth anything? An old bag I couldn't bring in the house without getting my arse kicked, was pretty ripe, but filled with all kinds of flies and line. Apparently her dad did some salt water, as there are some old bottle plugs, swimmers and a mix of leaders, lead sinkers (which I'll use togging); but more useless crap in today's world.

Fun exploration over a few beers and donated a box to some local kids to get them started.

bobber
07-02-2015, 07:44 PM
I've seen Horrocks Ibbotson casting reels..... I think they were made for a chain-store, and weren't very valuable (or at least thats what the guy told me when I asked the value of my reel...)

the boxes probably make the others as valuable as anything- the "other site" has a tackle collecotors forum if you get stuck