View Full Version : Drone

nightfighter
07-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Fishing in the boat yesterday morning 0800 fifty yards off some rocks on Marblehead Neck, I heard a buzzing sound.... It was a quad copter drone hovering about 150-200' above me! Once I realized what it was, I grabbed the binocs and searched the shore for the operator. Saw no one. The thing took off at high speed along the shore for about a mile and a half until I lost sight of it. Surprised at the range it had. Was wondering if it was security for the 4th, or a private operator. Either way, it was a first for me.

spinncognito
07-05-2015, 07:47 PM
I was wading a beach in Rockport last fall and some guy and his kid were flying one directly above and in front of me. I had to watch my cast so as not to hit it. After a few minutes I turned around and " gestured" toward them and they got it away from me. Get used to it as they are everywhere now as they have become both more advanced and more affordable.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MAKAI
07-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Wrist Rocket and a bag of marbles, a little target practice.

Clammer
07-05-2015, 08:28 PM
there was one Friday night .. that filmed the Oakland Beach fireworks & then went over all the boats /also a 1st for me ><>

FishermanTim
07-05-2015, 10:20 PM
If someone lies one near me when I'm fishing, I will take it as a challenge that they don't think I can hit it...and they might very well lose...in more ways than one!

spinncognito
07-06-2015, 07:39 AM
If someone lies one near me when I'm fishing, I will take it as a challenge that they don't think I can hit it...and they might very well lose...in more ways than one!

I considered aiming for it but if it had captured a big bass hitting my plug that would have been cool to see the footage.

I know a drone-owner who uses it to scope out underwater structure and feeding/schooling fish. Pretty cool to see a large boulder sitting 100 yards off the beach you have been fishing for years. Camera sends a live feed back to him.

DZ
07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Only a matter of time before something bad happens. If drone operators knew how close they could be to loosing everything they own to a lawsuit they might think twice.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/25/drone-crashes-hits-2-people-during-marblehead-parade/

Rockport24
07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
yeah these things are accidents waiting to happen, but they are still pretty cool.
someone had one up filming the bonfire in Rockport, had running lights on it like an airplane, I want to see the footage!

I am also still waiting for amazon to drop off my package with one!

Fly Rod
07-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Be careful.....not allowed to shoot one down....illegal.....U may be able to wack it down like a person did with a towel....was on the news....:)

We have a fisherman here that had used one since last year to fish for strippers.....oops ment stripers....lol from his boat ...U go along the shore put it up a hundred feet along the shore and when ya spot the fish U fish...another detriment to striped bass....:)

JohnR
07-06-2015, 09:35 AM
So much potential.

Pretty soon center consoles will be equipped with DEW to knock those spot steeling bastages out of the sky.

rphud
07-06-2015, 11:06 AM
They fly well out of line of site, then it is fly by video feed on the control console. I watched over a guy's shoulder down in Marco Island last year and it was very good video. Also saw one zipping around in the dark just before the fireworks Saturday. Operator was smart enough to put it down before the show started. Lights were red one side and green the other so you could tell which way was which. First time I saw one in the dark.

Light load of bird shot is likely the best way to go.

Raven
07-06-2015, 11:29 AM
drone wars

piemma
07-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Be careful.....not allowed to shoot one down....illegal.....U may be able to wack it down like a person did with a towel....was on the news....:)

:)

Are you sure about that? I carry on my boat (I have a LTC Permit) and I swear if I get buzzed in the boat, I'm gonna empty a clip at it.

BTW, I just checked and you are correct. It is currently considered the same as shooting down an aircraft.

Nebe
07-06-2015, 01:44 PM
There's a town in Colorado where it's legal to shoot them down

Clammer
07-06-2015, 02:06 PM
the one the took the video of the oakland beach fireworks is up on facebook ><

Rockfish9
07-06-2015, 02:29 PM
last year while ice fishing in Wolfeboro... two guy's kept buzzing my tip ups... they were practicing touch and go's on my gear setting them off... they thought it was pretty funny until..... the eagle swooped down from the tree he was perched in and flew off with it...

Hookedagain
07-06-2015, 02:52 PM
There was a house fire a few weeks ago North west of Boston and someone was using one to film the fire. The fire fighters didn't think it was so cool, a guy on the second floor took it out with 300 gallons per minute.

Fly Rod
07-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Are you sure about that? I carry on my boat (I have a LTC Permit) and I swear if I get buzzed in the boat, I'm gonna empty a clip at it.

BTW, I just checked and you are correct. It is currently considered the same as shooting down an aircraft.

I tell my wife I'm never wrong....LMAO....:)

Rockport24
07-06-2015, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna empty a clip at it.

]

I honestly thought this is how Ross' original post was going to end! :liquify:

Clammer
07-06-2015, 03:37 PM
the prov fire dept is using the help of a civilian with one to help with putting out fires// seeing the hot spots / danger areas , etc

staktup
07-09-2015, 10:59 PM
What if you're way out on a rock and need that magic plug? Maybe a friend can fly one out to you via drone. Or bring small granola bar, the leaders you left in the vehicle, etc....

nightfighter
07-10-2015, 03:40 AM
Here is the video produced by that drone the day after my encounter. They drive that thing pretty well as they got some great shots,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzWHUoGIg1k

stripermaineiac
07-10-2015, 06:14 AM
I have a hard time with any law or rule that protects morons with drones useing them to peek in windows or get around laws of privacy. The thing gets in my casting range to spy on me an its game on.Cell phones an the internet are bad enough but this is just a step way to far in the way of invasion of privacy. my casting accuracy is pretty good. Protecting these things is just plain a joke. No rules for their use an do whatever you want . LOL Ya Right.

scottw
07-10-2015, 06:28 AM
I swear if I get buzzed in the boat, I'm gonna empty a clip at it.

[/COLOR][/B]

that was a great visual....let em' have it Paul..

Rappin Mikey
07-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Had one above us at Race Pt. Bird people??? All I know is Trishy couldn't go in the water due to an infection in her leg and got a little petro about peeing on the beach.

MAKAI
07-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Maybe it's me being an old F, but what is the fascination with documenting every aspect of ones life. It's boring as $hit to everyone else.
Really, nobody gives a rats ass.
While I'm at it what is up with the fedora rebirth ? They were stupid looking then and more so now.
Jesus....I'm sounding like my Dad !

ProfessorM
07-10-2015, 09:13 AM
I kind of feel the same way. But we are both old.

Swimmer
07-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Wait until some butthead mounts a gun on a drone and takes a shot with it. Then no one will care about any law protecting them from being shot down.

bobber
07-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Wrist Rocket and a bag of marbles, a little target practice.

what he said..... shoot those friggin' things down.

Slipknot
07-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Wait until some butthead mounts a gun on a drone and takes a shot with it. Then no one will care about any law protecting them from being shot down.

or worse, strap a bomb to it and set it down someplace strategic and set it off :hs:

bad news

ThrowingTimber
07-10-2015, 08:13 PM
*pull!

Swimmer
07-11-2015, 04:21 PM
*pull!

Pull, boom, gotcha

MakoMike
07-12-2015, 03:17 PM
or worse, strap a bomb to it and set it down someplace strategic and set it off :hs:

bad news

Like salty brine beach? ;)