View Full Version : Memorial Day

Blitzseeker
05-24-2000, 04:36 PM
Hey everyone. New member here. Like the board.

Can anyone tell me if things have gotten started yet at Race Point? Usually things get started around now, but I'm a little worried the water temp might be a bit low still. I'm hoping to get up there in the next few days and just wanted to see if anyone had a report. Thanks.

JohnR
05-24-2000, 05:05 PM
Might be close for Race Point. There will certainly be bass there, probably keepers but tough call on the size. Last year I was in Truro on my honeymoon, some fish in the thirties (pounds) had been caught off the various hollows of Wellfleet and beaches of Truro but "supposedly" quiet at P-town.... Good luck and welcome aboard Blitzseeker

Blitzseeker
05-30-2000, 07:22 AM
John,

My buddy, a friend of his and I decided to check out Race Point yesterday(Monday) even though we were worried it was early, and it turned out fine. Plenty of fish, although they were all after sand eels and we were fishing plugs. Guys with sand eels on high-low rigs were getting schoolies mixed with the occasional keeper. We were fishing plugs and getting schoolies in the 20-25 inch range. Also one bluefish. The three of us got 15 or 16 fish total over a few hours. Anyway, lots of fun and from the numbers of fish around it looks like it will be a good season on the Cape.

Also, here's a great story. On the way back home we stopped by Blackbeard's tackle shop to find out how the fishing was down at Coast Guard beach and Nauset. The guy told us it has been great at Coast Guard. He also told us that several people reported seeing two large sharks, estimated in the 13-15 foot range, feeding on a pod of seals about 50 yards off Coast Guard beach at around 6:30 or 7:00 PM on Sunday night. He said he heard it from a couple of sources that he considers very reliable. I don't think I need to tell you guys what type of sharks they are likely to have been, at 15 feet and eating seals. Wish I could have seen that.

JohnR
05-30-2000, 09:08 AM
Blitz, good to hear you hooked fish at the Race! Kinda wish I had gone to Chatham Sunday night like I had planned but the Tackle shops were closed when the charter I was on go back to Barnstable....

SHARK ATTACK!!! That must have been wild. Like 500# Bluefin Tuny chasing Huge Stripers and Blues clear out of the water in the Canal!!! Heard stories of that last year - something I really want to see!!!