View Full Version : Comm fishing grey area

steve1874
07-09-2015, 09:28 AM
If a mass guy goes to block and gets one fish per 8 guys on his boat and goes back to mass to sell them as comm fish does it even happen?

MAKAI
07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
😂
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fly Rod
07-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Can't say that it does nor, can't say that it does not happen....depends on how big a pair of balls that person has...with a mass commercial license and if that person gets caught from taking from another state that person can loose what ever he/she had with them at the time....if docked at a landing they can confiscate boat, trailer and vechicle......is it worth it?.....:)

A friend of mine was asked here if he would transport stripers with his license......I asked if it would be worth losing everything that he had with him if caught.....loose lips....sink ships....lol

ivanputski
07-09-2015, 11:07 AM
The general fish- eating public doesn't deserve to eat striped bass. Striped bass are too valuable, and they would be just as happy eating tilapia.
Sorry for the completely off topic rant, but enough of this bullshhh already.

ProfessorM
07-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Yup.

fishbones
07-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I don't eat striper anymore, but tilapia are filthy, poop eating bottom dwellers.

steve1874
07-09-2015, 12:13 PM
How can they prove anything if everyone said to the DEM "my fish I'm keeping and eating it"

Prove it. It's a crap system. Scouts honor just isn't working. No fishing with people that do that is one thing and telling is another. It needs to be fixed somehow

fishsmith
07-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Don't fool yourself, Loads of people eat striper, it's my old mans favorite fish. As for poaching, take a ride to the outer cape on mon or Thursday and count all the boats east of the EEZ. Dreams of limiting out and $5+ Per pound make for bad decisions.

ivanputski
07-09-2015, 12:34 PM
If striped bass are to be eaten, they should be eaten by people who go out and catch it themselves... Not by some yuppie on vacation who couldnt tell a striper from a trout in a police line up.

ProfessorM
07-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Money equals corruption always has always will. You would need another 500 cops to take care of it. The honor system with cash involved will never work. BTW there are honest guys out there. I just don't know a lot of them. A good friend who sold for as long as anyone quit this year. Said he had it with the zoo.

Rockport24
07-09-2015, 02:09 PM
I have no problems with the comms that are doing it to put food on the table and are doing it legally, but based on anecdotal evidence it seems very abused

Bluefish is good, why don't we just have a comm season for those and leave the striped ones alone

fishbones
07-09-2015, 02:31 PM
I have no problems with the comms that are doing it to put food on the table and are doing it legally, but based on anecdotal evidence it seems very abused

Bluefish is good, why don't we just have a comm season for those and leave the striped ones alone

$5.00 +-/pound for striper vs. $1/pound for blues.

Clammer
07-09-2015, 03:34 PM
in RI $1.00 is considered top dollar for BLOOOOOOOOofish

Guppy
07-09-2015, 03:45 PM
How can they prove anything if everyone said to the DEM "my fish I'm keeping and eating it"

Prove it. It's a crap system. Scouts honor just isn't working. No fishing with people that do that is one thing and telling is another. It needs to be fixed somehow

Were the right side fins cut off?

seadogg
07-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I sold 200 pounds of bluefish on Wednesday. $1 a pound? A fair trade for a few hours of fun.

steve1874
07-10-2015, 04:12 AM
I'm all about people making money off fish but keep in you own state to do it? Maybe become a better fisherman? Any "captian" can go drop eels.

thefishingfreak
07-10-2015, 08:56 AM
The fin clipping rule totally eliminated this. Carry on

bassballer
07-10-2015, 09:30 AM
$23.99 per pound at whole foods

steve1874
07-10-2015, 10:42 AM

If im hearing chatter about this post from people I'm guessing no? Maybe so buddy. Thank goodness they got things right. I can sleep well. Carry on

Liv2Fish
07-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Don't fool yourself, Loads of people eat striper, it's my old mans favorite fish. As for poaching, take a ride to the outer cape on mon or Thursday and count all the boats east of the EEZ. Dreams of limiting out and $5+ Per pound make for bad decisions.

I was sitting next to an EPO waiting to get a haircut last week. He told me ass soon as he was done getting his hair cut, he was on his way to write about 200 tickets to the boats fishing outside the 3 mile line off Chatham. He's out there every comm day fishing right along side of all the boats in his "street cloths" from his unmarked boat.

Piscator
07-10-2015, 11:50 AM
I was sitting next to an EPO waiting to get a haircut last week. He told me ass soon as he was done getting his hair cut, he was on his way to write about 200 tickets to the boats fishing outside the 3 mile line off Chatham. He's out there every comm day fishing right along side of all the boats in his "street cloths" from his unmarked boat.

I heard over the radio they got a bunch of guys over the 3 mile line yesterday

Fly Rod
07-10-2015, 03:11 PM

U R miss informed, they went for $3.50 per lb. the cape flooded the market.

steve1874
07-10-2015, 03:13 PM
I got people flat out threatening me about posting this here. I don't get what the big deal is if you aren't doing it then shouldn't be butt hurt. Im not going to start calling people out for saying if they see me I'm going to get it but there is no reason to start yapping.

fishsmith
07-10-2015, 03:16 PM
L2F that's good to hear, but a green boat cruising the line would of saved a lot of bass. It wasn't until the CG plane flew over that the boats turned pulled away.

stripermaineiac
07-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Steve that crap is one of the many reasons it needs to be shut down. People going by the rules don't have nothing to worry. The other groups do so they threaten people to keep their actions hidden.

thefishingfreak
07-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I heard over the radio they got a bunch of guys over the 3 mile line yesterday

We watched the cg45' chase down a fleeing twin engine center console like a cheetah chasing down a gazelle, They got him.

fishbones
07-10-2015, 10:22 PM
I got people flat out threatening me about posting this here. I don't get what the big deal is if you aren't doing it then shouldn't be butt hurt. Im not going to start calling people out for saying if they see me I'm going to get it but there is no reason to start yapping.

Why don't you just call your buddy out by name instead of beating around the bush?

ecduzitgood
07-11-2015, 03:18 AM
How about having the number of fish sold put on the slip rather than just the weight. How many folks stack fish on a non-comercial day sell them first thing in the morning and then go catch more than their license limits them to. How many individual 2 fish license holders sold more than a 100 pounds on a single day?
Lots of ways to cheat the system.

wdmso
07-11-2015, 04:31 AM

the issue is still enforcement they write a ticket to a guy on Monday ..he is fishing on Thursday it should be a yank you comm license on the spot. 1st offense .. 2nd offense lifetime ban.

Roll a stop sign feel the fine and the surcharge for years

Fly Rod
07-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Fish prices this past week.

Monday's fish at auction on Tuesday averaged $2.50 a lb.

Thursday price fish sold on Friday averaged $4.00 a lb

Opening day fish went for 5 bucks and then dropped.

Does not matter what a restaurant charges, that is after the fact.....some of U pay to much attension to Wicked Tuna inflated prices.

Quit your day job and go get RICH.....LMAO......:)

Justfishin'
07-11-2015, 08:25 AM
I said during the last moratorium ( and I think the next one is coming) that I wouldn't keep another striper- and I like eating fish- as long as a working fisherman can feed his family, and I still mean it.

That doesn't extend to weekend warriors who managed to muscle in on getting a comm license to pay for a vacation fishing ,new trucks or boats. I'm glad to hear guys are getting busted.

bobber
07-11-2015, 12:01 PM
good to hear theres some enforcement going on.....

how long does this crap have to go on?? theres a 25% reduction this year already- and (according to this thread) the prices are dropping...? why all the bullsh!t? I guess 15 fish a day can make you rich............

thefishingfreak
07-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I said during the last moratorium ( and I think the next one is coming) that I wouldn't keep another striper- and I like eating fish- as long as a working fisherman can feed his family, and I still mean it.

That doesn't extend to weekend warriors who managed to muscle in on getting a comm license to pay for a vacation fishing ,new trucks or boats. I'm glad to hear guys are getting busted.

There is no muscling in, you just buy the permit, simple.
I do it because I like to kill stuff, the money is just a bonus

Guppy
07-11-2015, 08:13 PM
There is no muscling in, you just buy the permit, simple.
I do it because I like to kill stuff, the money is just a bonus

Blood s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g com fishing guys are all alike ,,,

Anonymous

ivanputski
07-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Fishing freak, you are only confirming what i already knew from your posts last year about the reg changes... You dont give a s*#% about Striped bass. Go kill some chipmunks in the yard with a bb gun and leave the bass alone.

ecduzitgood
07-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Somebody's got to scoop up and eat released fish that go belly up. 8 or 9% of released fish die, that is roughly one in 12. I'm not fishing comercial so I don't have a dog in this fight but I do kill some bass...we all do if we put a hook in them.

JohnR
07-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Somebody's got to scoop up and eat released fish that go belly up. 8 or 9% of released fish die, that is roughly one in 12. I'm not fishing comercial so I don't have a dog in this fight but I do kill some bass...we all do if we put a hook in them.

Hi Ed!

ecduzitgood
07-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Hi John and I haven't forgotten the plug it's just them damn sebiles took the wind out of my sails. They were what I was looking for and I knew i could do no better as far as effectiveness.
When i finish the jointed I will put it aside...it will be test swam..... well because you know...lol

thefishingfreak
07-12-2015, 04:46 AM
Fishing freak, you are only confirming what i already knew from your posts last year about the reg changes... You dont give a s*#% about Striped bass. Go kill some chipmunks in the yard with a bb gun and leave the bass alone.

Wrong, I do care about the striped bass, I just have a totally different perspective then you and many more on here do.
It's my god given, government regulated and widely accepted right to harvest them in a way that generations before me have done and generations after me will do.
I do not kill mamals either, I am a fisherman not a hunter

nightfighter
07-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Wow. This thread has taken a turn for the worse..... So first, back to the original question. Yes, it does and has happened. More on that later.
Secondly, I am surprised at condescending, holier than thou tones I am getting from posts by some members that I respect.

Respect is the key word. I live far from the commercial hotspots, so don't have current dirt on who is traversing the no no lines with market fish. I can't believe anyone here would have the balls to "threaten" the OP for posting a question about this practice. Wish they would PM me, just so I know their character... There are different types of commercial fishermen. Those that work the big boats, and those that use rod and reel. Many of the latter are chest beaters. I have had run ins with both. I just don't care... And I am not going to be intimidated.

So it comes down to perception, if you are not actually there... I am not aligned with any side, so here is my take. FishingFreak would pass the muster test' ie. he does the right thing when no one is looking. Would you???? Raider Ron would too, I believe. (just have a difference of opinion on his verbal/typed expression/delivery style:rotf2:) They can find fish. They have made the investment in time and capital. They know and abide by the laws. That is my perception. They have my respect, as seamen and fishermen.

So back to the BI question. You would be naïve to think it didn't take place. The boat would have to be berthed in a port that would make economic sense, given fuel costs and lower daily maximum. Especially if other areas are giving up limits in an hour's time.

Comes down to being the man you dreamed you would be and doing the right thing when no one is looking.....

Clammer
07-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Can,t we all be friends or at least respect each others choices ......... this is not helping the image of JR,s site :fishslap:

bobber
07-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Comes down to being the man you dreamed you would be and doing the right thing when no one is looking.....

theres some real truths right there.......

MakoMike
07-12-2015, 03:11 PM

AFAIK there is no fin clipping rule in RI.

Clammer
07-12-2015, 05:51 PM
I have to think that is completely being A/H,s REC,s catch them .clipped them & then they are safe from commercials pin hookers .........In MA .
That, kinda like the guys I saw Fluke fishing in RI that were putting a knife thru rec shorts & throwing them back in . so in their mind they were F U Cking the commercials guys :hang:

zacs
07-13-2015, 04:14 PM
I have to think that is completely being A/H,s REC,s catch them .clipped them & then they are safe from commercials pin hookers .........In MA .
That, kinda like the guys I saw Fluke fishing in RI that were putting a knife thru rec shorts & throwing them back in . so in their mind they were F U Cking the commercials guys :hang:

anybody that does something like that should never be allowed to fish again. HOW STUPID!!!!!:wall::wall::wall:

Raider Ronnie
07-13-2015, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=nightfighter

So it comes down to perception, if you are not actually there... I am not aligned with any side, so here is my take. FishingFreak would pass the muster test' ie. he does the right thing when no one is looking. Would you???? Raider Ron would too, I believe. (just have a difference of opinion on his verbal/typed expression/delivery style:rotf2:) They can find fish. They have made the investment in time and capital. They know and abide by the laws. That is my perception. They have my respect, as seamen and fishermen.

If i'm reading/understanding this correctly you are paying me a compliment and stating I'm a smart ass.

If so, thank you :-)

PRBuzz
07-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Respect is the key word. I live far from the commercial hotspots, so don't have current dirt on who is traversing the no no lines with market fish. I can't believe anyone here would have the balls to "threaten" the OP for posting a question about this practice.

So it comes down to perception, if you are not actually there... I am not aligned with any side, so here is my take. FishingFreak would pass the muster test' ie. he does the right thing when no one is looking. Would you???? Raider Ron would too, I believe. They can find fish. They have made the investment in time and capital. They know and abide by the laws. That is my perception. They have my respect, as seamen and fishermen.

I have rec fished with both (Fishbucket/Raider Nation) and comm fished with Fishbucket many times: don't dare take a short of any species or too many pounds/numbers of
fish on either boat!!!!!

You would have a hard time finding 2 better Capts!

ivanputski
07-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Fishing freak may be a great captain and a great guy who really cares about bass..you just might have a hard time drawing the same conclusion from his internet comments sometimes... Thats all.
Guys who never met eachother in person that are members here have only the comments posted to use to form opinions about people, thats all.

Fly Rod
07-14-2015, 01:00 PM
I like everybody...:)....:cheers:

Have never had the honor to meet FishingFreak,but from reading his articles and seeing photos he seems to be a damn good fisherman..... I find his views of fishing basically coincide with mine. Some people just do not like a winner and R jealous.

no matter what profession one is in there is always a rotten apple....there is an old saying..."laws R made to B broken."

thefishingfreak
07-14-2015, 03:38 PM
As a member here since 2004 I refuse to let this place go down the tracks on the pitty train shoreatorium stripersforever trail to holiness and will pounce on any threads gone astray, preaching about how the greedy commercial black market bass fishermen and corrupt politician greasin charter boat operators are destroying the fishery because the fish aren't stupid enough to come inshore and attack pencil poppers on a day to day basis, with blunt force sarcasm and run on sentences of bad grammar and poor punctuation

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
As a member here since 2004 I refuse to let this place go down the tracks on the pitty train shoreatorium stripersforever trail to holiness and will pounce on any threads gone astray, preaching about how the greedy commercial black market bass fishermen and corrupt politician greasin charter boat operators are destroying the fishery because the fish aren't stupid enough to come inshore and attack pencil poppers on a day to day basis, with blunt force sarcasm and run on sentences of bad grammar and poor punctuation

Amen! You need to get together with Trump.

N.ShoreFisher
07-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Wow. This thread has taken a turn for the worse..... So first, back to the original question. Yes, it does and has happened. More on that later.
Secondly, I am surprised at condescending, holier than thou tones I am getting from posts by some members that I respect.

Respect is the key word. I live far from the commercial hotspots, so don't have current dirt on who is traversing the no no lines with market fish. I can't believe anyone here would have the balls to "threaten" the OP for posting a question about this practice. Wish they would PM me, just so I know their character... There are different types of commercial fishermen. Those that work the big boats, and those that use rod and reel. Many of the latter are chest beaters. I have had run ins with both. I just don't care... And I am not going to be intimidated.

So back to the BI question. You would be naïve to think it didn't take place. The boat would have to be berthed in a port that would make economic sense, given fuel costs and lower daily maximum. Especially if other areas are giving up limits in an hour's time.

You're a class act Ross!

Sea Dangles
07-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Lots of dumb people can catch fish, me included. The shortsighted knowitalls are under the impression that the stock is not in danger. The hypocrites don't think anybody should fish for them. What a hobby we have here.

Guppy
07-15-2015, 01:39 AM
Amen! You need to get together with Trump.

My guess is Mike doesn't golf, won't work