View Full Version : More madness to consider...

FishermanTim
07-09-2015, 01:17 PM
The MFA has decided to stop their "kimono Wednesday" after protestor(s) called it racist.

"...The kimono was donated to the museum after the MFA loaned the panting to several museums in Japan last year. It was actually a Japanese television station who came up with the idea to recreate the kimono in the painting, and allow visitors to try it on. The MFA's deputy director says it was a hit in Japan, so they brought the idea here.

Katie Getchell, MFA deputy director, said, "The original intent was to have people have a tactile experience of the kimono, understand it's weight, it's craftsmanship."

Every Wednesday night in July, the museum offers free admission and lectures about the “La Japonaise” painting. But the so-called "Kimono Wednesdays" drew cries of racism from one group who started a website called Stand Against Yellowface and who have been bringing their protests directly to the exhibit.

Protester Amber Ying said, "We understand the museum is trying to invite the public to experience history and get a better understanding of the history behind the painting. However, doing it in this fashion it is recreating the racism that was part of the time."

The painting was created in the late 19th century during a period when Europeans were fascinated by Japanese culture. Ying, who is a Harvard grad student, says the period and painting have racist undertones...."

Here is a Harvard Grad student that seems like they don't care that the Japanese were the ones who initiated this event!!!
Is she protesting the event as a whole, or just that "non-Japanese" are trying on the garments???

If you ask me, it's a case of someone trying to make a name for themselves because they (and ONLY they) feel that way!

What's next? "Yellow People Matter" rallies/riots in the streets????

I only hope this social madness will end!

Nebe
07-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow. Sounds like a publicity stunt
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
07-10-2015, 05:33 AM
i will now perform the tea ceremony

Jackbass
07-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Yep about had it with all this #^&#^&#^&#^&.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
07-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Ying is a Chinese name. Not Japanese. Maybe this is a reaction to Japan's very racist attitude towards the Chinese? We don't really focus on the genocide that Japan practiced in the Asian countries during WW-2, which was as bad or worse than that practiced by the Nazis. And unlike Germany, Japan has never owned up to it.

However, with a first name like Amber, Ms. Ying is probably as clueless about that as the next person, and is acting as a professional offendee.