View Full Version : Fiber Cement Siding - Pros/Cons

The Dad Fisherman
07-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Residing the house and thinking about going this route. Doing the work myself.....anybody have any feelings either way on this type of siding?

nightfighter
07-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Seem to hold up, though not around for all that long. I assume you are using the ones that look like shingles. Many ways to cut/trim. Some create a lot of dust. Sharp tools and dust mask. Never seen any applications with woven corners, so if you don't have corner board, you will want to be installing them.

The Dad Fisherman
07-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Going with clap board not shingles. Yeah, I was reading about the dust so careful there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

trevier
07-10-2015, 05:05 PM
lots of dust. I had to clean my slide saw 4-5 times a day even though it was hooked up to a fein vacuum. Windows cuts I use an angle grinder with a masonary blade. Read up on the install instructions, they have changed over the years. Also stay away from hardi plank and go with certain teed fiber cement. My lumber yard stopped dealing with hardi plank due to warranty issues. Go pre-primed finger joint cedar, prime all you end cuts and use a super good paint and it will look just as good for half the cost and aggravation.

Fly Rod
07-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Make sure you read application how to....can lose warranty if applied wrong....make sure U make all joints water tight with water proof adhesive.

Go on line to the manufacturer "How To.".....U would be surprised how many contractors do not know how to install......companies R making contractor installers be certified ....same as they did for Corian.....to many screw ups.....:)

The Dad Fisherman
07-11-2015, 08:31 AM
What were the issue with Hardie? That's what I will be going with if I go this route.....getting a good deal on it, that's why I am considering it. Was originally just going to go with vinyl.

spence
07-11-2015, 08:57 AM
What were the issue with Hardie? That's what I will be going with if I go this route.....getting a good deal on it, that's why I am considering it. Was originally just going to go with vinyl.

Perhaps you've answered your own question :hihi:

Slipknot
07-11-2015, 06:13 PM
I put vinyl on my house in 1997 or 98 and very much appreciate not having to paint, before that I painted the whole house myself tinted primer, then 2 finish coats of paint on the body and trim. I was not going thru that again.
Over the years working in the construction field I have seen what goes on with the Hardi planking, it seems sensible and has lots of pros but changing out a board might be more difficult than vinyl if one cracks, the dust would kill me worse than cedar dust.

If you don't mind painting and like the traditional New England look of clapboards, I would go with red cedar clapboards.

Vinyl with aluminum coverage is very easy for a do it yourself job.

Good luck Kevin

Guppy
07-11-2015, 08:31 PM
What Slip said

I was never a big fan of vinyl and metal but have come around. When you do metal along with the vinyl you can eliminate all that J & U channel around openings and corners. Much nicer looking. IMO

every couple years I wash down the trim and vinyl on the front, gets it looking brand newy!

I hate paint ��

nightfighter
07-11-2015, 09:06 PM
I like wood.
I have become a big fan of the PVC/Azek for trim work.
I have always been suspect of what is under vinyl or aluminum siding as there were so many problems that were just covered up in many applications done in the past..... especially the ones where the coil trim over the window casings are almost recessed. Just not a fan.

Liv2Fish
07-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Siding products have come a long way just in the past 3-5 years. Look around before going cement. I installed cement twice and it's a bitch. I drive by one of them every now and then and it has really faded. Looks chalky. It's brittle too so if your kid likes to bounce baseballs off of it, you can expect some issues…The upside is that is doesn't expand and contract like vinyl products.

Raven
07-12-2015, 07:41 AM
stain is much better than Paint imo

so can you stain that stuff or No?

Liv2Fish
07-12-2015, 07:51 AM
yes. That's what they put on it. That has come a long way too.

Fly Rod
07-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Vinyl is Final....:)

The Dad Fisherman
07-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Vinyl is Final....:)

Yeah, I think that's the way I'm going....thanx for the input guys

redlite
07-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Kev if u have the budget i highly recommend cedar impression vinyl. Ours is brown and looks pretty nice and no maintenence
Just make sure that if u do it yourself to pay close attention to the spacing/ temperture guidelines during installation

Guppy
07-14-2015, 05:53 PM
This may help, we strip the siding, metal cover trim with a deep hem at all trim boards & casings, then install the vinyl.

Nice clean look IMO

good luck

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=61492&stc=1&d=1436914397

piemma
07-17-2015, 06:48 AM
I did everything in vinyl 10 years ago and don't regret it for a minute. Aside from a power wash every few years I don't have to do a thing.