View Full Version : Back from 8 days camping in Eastham

Jim in CT
07-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all here for their recommendations which made the trip more enjoyable. My second time to the Cape (3 years ago we rented a house in Truro). Did a fishing trip with Rich Wood from Nelsons, we all caught a lot of mackerel which was fun, live lined them, had a few knockdowns, my 8 year old caught a bass about 17 pounds which we kept for the grill.

We also did a 2 hour lobster boat cruise with a lobsterman from P-town, that was very cool, he let my 8 year old measure lobsters, put the bands on the claws, and drive the boat, he really felt like a big shot, I cannot recommend that trip enough. Very, very cool.

Ate at a place in Wellfleet Harbor called Macs On The Pier. My favorite food in the world is fried clams, and these were the best I ever had, expensive as hell, but amazing. Also had great food at Savory in Truro (fantastic pizza, grinders, and ice cream), Arnolds and the Lobster Shanty in Eastham.

Favorite beach for the kids was Head Of The Meadow in Truro (waves for the 8 year old, calm pools behind the sand bars for my little guys) Nauset Light and Marconi were very rocky. Was able to scoop up tons of sand eels in a kid's net, my 3 thought that was great.

Campground was Atlantic Oaks in Eastham. Cheap, clean, quietest campground in the world, and a great location, the bike trail cuts right behind it.

Magical place, cannot wait to go back. Maybe 2 weeks next year.

spence
07-13-2015, 07:20 PM
What do they get for a clam plate?

Guppy
07-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear you had such a good time, little ashamed of myself for taking CC for granted, never enjoyed it as much as I could have,,,

Back to reality, hey Jim :hihi::cool:

Jim in CT
07-14-2015, 05:54 AM
What do they get for a clam plate?

I went for an a la carte plate, as we didn't want fries. Their "large" size was $32.99, I figured it would be enough for me and my 8 year old. It was exactly 15 fried clams. When my wife brought the plate over, I thought that can't be right, I went back to the counter and asked the kid if that was indeed the large, and she said yes. I was curious, not mad, and asked to speak to the manager, he came out and confirmed that was the "large" size. They were amazing, I have to say. The woman at the table next to me ordered the clam plate with fries for 24.99, and she had 16 clams, one more than my order. I was in too good of a mood to make an issue of it.

Sea Dangles
07-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Interesting that you counted her clams...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

5/0
07-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Nice read glad you had a good time with the family.

Moron_Saxatilis
07-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Clams in general are migratory I believe. I know for a fact fried ones are.

Nebe
07-14-2015, 07:51 AM
I went for an a la carte plate, as we didn't want fries. Their "large" size was $32.99, I figured it would be enough for me and my 8 year old. It was exactly 15 fried clams. When my wife brought the plate over, I thought that can't be right, I went back to the counter and asked the kid if that was indeed the large, and she said yes. I was curious, not mad, and asked to speak to the manager, he came out and confirmed that was the "large" size. They were amazing, I have to say. The woman at the table next to me ordered the clam plate with fries for 24.99, and she had 16 clams, one more than my order. I was in too good of a mood to make an issue of it.

That's part of Michelle Obama's new diet plan. What it does is re distribute a portion of clams that were ordered by someone who could afford the more expensive option and allots it to a person who can only pay for the lower priced menu option.
:rotfl:

Jim in CT
07-14-2015, 08:19 AM
That's part of Michelle Obama's new diet plan. What it does is re distribute a portion of clams that were ordered by someone who could afford the more expensive option and allots it to a person who can only pay for the lower priced menu option.
:rotfl:

Maybe, but the plan has some wrinkles to iron out, as I was camping for $35 a night, and the lady who got the bargain, drove off in a Porsche Cayanne with a Harvard sticker on the back.

But it probably was part of some shellfish inequality plan.

Jim in CT
07-14-2015, 08:45 AM

She heard me questioning the order, and she came over to me, and said "mine was cheaper, and it looks like the same number of clams, plus I got fries".

I wasn't too offended, i wanted to go back, but didn't get the chance. They were amazing fried clams, and what a beautiful spot for a restaurant. I've never seen Wellfleet harbor before, it was spectacular.

JohnR
07-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a great trip! Glad you all had fun. I miss the days of my son when he was younger going to the beach or the Hatchery and such.

Maybe, but the plan has some wrinkles to iron out, as I was camping for $35 a night, and the lady who got the bargain, drove off in a Porsche Cayanne with a Harvard sticker on the back.

But it probably was part of some shellfish inequality plan.

Nope - everything is working just as intended

Jim in CT
07-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a great trip! Glad you all had fun. I miss the days of my son when he was younger going to the beach or the Hatchery and such.

Nope - everything is working just as intended

My first time out there, 3 years ago, you suggested the trout hatchery. They loved it. Didn't get out there this time.

We rode our bikes on the rail trail to arnolds to play mini golf and eat ice cream. Kids loved First Encounter at low tide. Lots of seals on the ocean side, kids loved that more than most here would, I'll wager. Just a great, beautiful, magical place.

Kierran
07-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Awesome trip! What's the lobsterman's info, any website? Thanks. Heading up in August.