View Full Version : Yellow jackets

Rockfish9
07-22-2015, 06:42 AM
last year I "blew up" half my yard getting the striped marauders off of my lawn so I could mow it... then the built a nest under a forsythia next to my front steps.... I ripped it out with my 4 wheeler during the dark of night .. NOW.. they have a nest under the clapboard near my water outlet for the hose... I've tried several different sprays to knock them down but most wont spray upside down... am I going to have to rip my house apart in the middle of the night or does someone have a proven way to disarm them so I can take the clap board down in day light to remove the nest..:af:

Jackbass
07-22-2015, 11:37 AM
I have a similar issue with white faced hornets I got the foam that shoots twenty feet hit the nest and ran like hell
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
wd-40 works almost better than hornet spray
and the can comes with a red straw to stick into
the clapboard crack....

or you can use the expanding spray foam and basically seal them in
cutting the excess off after they die in there.

i had to seal a big trash can edge with packing tape to kill mine.
gorilla tape is awesome stuff as the stickem is better than
regular duct tape

just some I deers for ya.....

The Dad Fisherman
07-22-2015, 01:57 PM
I usually get one of the Neighborhood kids to stick something in the hole......when they all come out to attack the kid, I hit him with the hornet spray. Then I just plug up the hole so the remaining ones die off.

Sometimes I slip the kid a $20 to go home and say he stepped on a nest while he was playing in the woods.

Sea Dangles
07-22-2015, 03:12 PM
I am dealing with carpentar bees

JamesJet
07-22-2015, 04:11 PM
wd-40 works almost better than hornet spray
and the can comes with a red straw to stick into
the clapboard crack....

or you can use the expanding spray foam and basically seal them in
cutting the excess off after they die in there.

i had to seal a big trash can edge with packing tape to kill mine.
gorilla tape is awesome stuff as the stickem is better than
regular duct tape

just some I deers for ya.....

I wouldnt reccommend sealing the hole. I had a big problem and hired a professional last year with a similar situation. Cost me a few bucks but well speant. He said dont ever seal the hole as they could and will chew a new hole to get out and in some cases the other direction into your house! He rule was if you are DIY when its on/in your house if you can see the nest go for it - if its inside call a pro. My nest he estimated was at least the size of a football. He dusted it and it worked very well.

Guppy
07-22-2015, 04:40 PM
I wouldnt reccommend sealing the hole. I had a big problem and hired a professional last year with a similar situation. Cost me a few bucks but well speant. He said dont ever seal the hole as they could and will chew a new hole to get out and in some cases the other direction into your house! He rule was if you are DIY when its on/in your house if you can see the nest go for it - if its inside call a pro. My nest he estimated was at least the size of a football. He dusted it and it worked very well.

Jim
Sorry we never hooked up on that trip, you didn't miss much, Monomoy was dead all night and morning,,, next time, hey?

Hookedagain
07-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Depending on the size of the nest, I used a shop vac and sucked up the little suckers and then sprayed the nest. Worked well but the nest was not well established, about the size of a tennis ball.

Raven
07-23-2015, 05:23 AM
i've been doing some de-construction (disassemble)
and i've had three types of Hornet to contend with
yellow jackets
dark brownies
and luckily no white faced hornets from hell
that see you better than all the other ones

they ALL HATE the smell of sweat
so if your wearing a sweaty ball cap
or have been sweating profusely in the hot summer sun
while out mowing :point: change into some dry clothes

Rockfish9
07-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Per Ross's advise... drilled a hole in the clap board... injected a can of pyrethrin foam... not a single one flying this morning...lots of dead soldiers laying on the ground....

nightfighter
07-23-2015, 07:26 AM
Nice! Wait a couple days to be sure you got the queen before plugging holes. I trust you can find someone who can turn some cedar plugs for the holes........:grins:

nightfighter
07-23-2015, 07:30 AM
I am dealing with carpentar bees

Different creature. They bore into 1x trim. Actually make a perfect 9/16 hole in 3/4" wood to lay eggs. No choice but to replace the trim, which is often the rakeboards... ie. PITA Consider replacing with Azek or other composite PVC product.

Rockfish9
07-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Different creature. They bore into 1x trim. Actually make a perfect 9/16 hole in 3/4" wood to lay eggs. No choice but to replace the trim, which is often the rakeboards... ie. PITA Consider replacing with Azek or other composite PVC product.

had some of those a year ago... went with the composite trim...no bee's no woodpeckers..

Sea Dangles
07-23-2015, 09:09 AM
They used to be in my garage rakes which I have already replaced with azek. Now they found the wooden rakes I have left. They are beavers with wings!

Rockport24
07-23-2015, 09:52 AM
hey guys, is there a way to prevent carpenter bees from taking up residence? My new house has had them in the past, but they replaced with wood and not the azek stuff.

The Dad Fisherman
07-23-2015, 02:53 PM
from what I've seen they like bare wood.....if you paint your wood they should stay away.

Raven
07-23-2015, 07:36 PM
sometimes i get pissed and grab two tennis rackets and play badmitten

Raven
07-23-2015, 09:27 PM
one day walkin down the trail from my favorite mc coon apple tree
some nasty yellow jackets stung me just for walking on the bank to hard.
i went into the garage and saw their nest out the window and it was a whopper.
so i carefully opened the window 1 inch and stuffed rags in the crack
then turned the hose on them bastids until i blasted their hive to smithereens.
took an hour. i was protected by the glass.... i hate hornets.... they suck elephant balls

Rockfish9
07-31-2015, 10:23 AM
from what I've seen they like bare wood.....if you paint your wood they should stay away.

they were under cedar clap boards with many coats of paint...

they don't call them devil bees for nothing..

as a follow up... spraying alone even after boring multiple holes is relatively ineffective you must dust so the poison can infiltrate the nest and kill the larvae and queen... It took about a week to cease all activity... I pulled down 3 tiers of clap boards... the nest was in the wall and was the size of a basket ball.. after this battle I know how Custer felt.. only I won this time...

I used a insect dust by Bayer with pyrethrum in conjunction with foaming yellow jacket and boring bee killer ( made by spectracide)... I used a turkey baster to bow the dust under the clap board... I vacuumed up all the dead yellow jackets each morning and after I opened the nest so birds wouldn't eat them...

The Dad Fisherman
07-31-2015, 09:52 PM
I was talking about the carpenter bees liking bare wood. Yellow jackets are evil

Sea Dangles
08-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I am dealing with ground digger wasps now and it is worse every year. May have to react....

Rockport24
08-11-2015, 10:48 AM
ok so what do you do about yellow jackets that put a hole in my front yard??

Fly Rod
08-11-2015, 02:35 PM
after dark pour some gasoline in the hole......make sure ground is solid dirt, not pourious such as shale and or gravel....have solid foundation or fumes could seep into basement and smell up the house with strong odors of gasoline.....:)

Hornets in bushes: tie old rag, T-shirt or what ever on a stick soak with paint thinner light and burn them out after dark....paint thinner will not explode when lit.....do not use gasoline.
......:)

Sea Dangles
08-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Do not use gasoline on the ground either
A mixture of water and ammonia is the ticket

Rockport24
08-12-2015, 10:04 AM
what about this? seems legit?

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/yellow-jacket-kit-cb-80-pyganic-dust-duster

Sea Dangles
08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
The ground digger wasps are cicada killers and generally vacate the nest until late at night. Eliminating them is a process