View Full Version : Used 4x4 suggestions

hardcore from shore
07-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Looking to pick up a used 4x4. Don't intend to drive a lot of distance. Live on cape cod. My rods are all 2 piece since my car is a fiesta. Trying to decide between used Tacoma 4x4 or its competition or even an explorer or jeep though small wrangler too small and choppy as I had one in 90's. More of you have experience with these vehicles than I do so would live some input. Age milegae and price point ideas as well as experience will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Bronko
07-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Tacoma all day long. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

hardcore from shore
07-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks all Tacoma owners seem to agree. Anyone else have ideas?
Thanks, Bill

5/0
07-26-2015, 06:22 PM
I own a Dakota bought it brand new in 05 I'm just under 100K its a V8 gas mileage is 16 around town and a solid 19 hwy @ 70 mph.its a solid truck with the exception of changing out the ball joints and rotors twice.
If I had the cash I would of went with a Chevy.
Check out consumer report guide they dissect any and all vehicles in a non biased way.

Nebe
07-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks all Tacoma owners seem to agree. Anyone else have ideas?
Thanks, Bill

I had 2 tacos and loved them. Just watch out for rust.

Clammer
07-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Just got my 4th Tacoma & I had 2 SR5,s before they came out with the Tacoma ......... Best truck for the size & money
all have been 4X4,s rust witht he 1st two I think they were 85 & a 90 . I just had to get rid of a 2004 .. the only part starting to rust was the rear bumper & that,s because I,m either hauling fish or shellfish more days than not .
I drive the beaches from Oct thru april just for the senerity , fishing only once in a while .............Good Luck ><><:sled:

jredfly
07-27-2015, 06:32 AM
Doesn't sound like you were going to go this way but stay away from the Fords with the 5.3. All have a exhaust manifold issue that is a costly repair where they have to remove engine.

ecduzitgood
07-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Go with the Taco...my 04 ford V6 exploder is starting to nickle and dime me to death and the repairs are very difficult do to the way it was designed. Starting around the 100k mile mark. Things break that shouldn't. You have to pull the engine for the timing belt for instance. Wheel bearings, shifter connection inside the steering column broke while vehicle was running and had to break into the column just to get the key to turn off. Keep duct tape and tools with you if you go with a Ford

Jackbass
07-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Can't go wrong with a Toyota so long as it's rust free.

I would avoid any half ton with independent front suspension. Steer clear from half shafts(cv joints) if you're driving in sand. PITA!

hardcore from shore
07-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your comments. This information from experience is very helpful. Please keep piling it on. Bill

Nebe
07-27-2015, 10:37 AM
If I was going to buy a taco again, I'd buy a short cab with locking front hubs and a 4 cylinder engine. You get a big jump in mpg, but they are hard to find.

JohnR
07-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Put 190K on my 2004 F150 4x4 - Spectacular vehicle with very few issues over its entire life (and I was a former Toyota Service dude)

rphud
07-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Yota with the 3 liter 6, 5 speed and locking hubs never got stuck nowhere. Never died, just got crushed on 84 one day. Otherwise I would be driving an antique these days. Guys on Top Gear put one on top of a twelve story building that was being demolished by explosives. Still started when they dug it out. Truck of the Revolution! (or Jihad). Totally bad ass with a recoiless mounted in the bed.

ecduzitgood
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
They also set it on fire, let it sit under water for a whole tide and dug it out of the sand, and i think they also dropped a camper on it. Still ran. Great show.

Jenn
07-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Tacoma or Frontier. The problem is finding a used one for a decent $$. Supply and demand ratio is out of whack with so many late 90's and early 2000's Tacomas removed from the market. I am currently debating about my 2001 frontier. She's been good to me and I actually really love it but I have a few things coming up that have me in that "do I keep fixing or sell" mode. Cant buy new and I will be dammed if I am going to buy one 3-4 years newer with just as many miles and fixes needed for 10K!

ThrowingTimber
07-29-2015, 06:58 AM
tacoma, when you do your breaks just white grease your pad pins a TON.

Both the nissan "tacomas" large and small make use of the same small axle although one is "rated" heavier hauling...

piemma
07-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Not to be a fly in the ointment but I had a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that I put 276,000 miles on and was still getting 18MPG. Sold it because I needed a pickup.