View Full Version : Nelsons closing at the end of season.

Rob Rockcrawler
08-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Just saw on Facebook that Nelsons is going to be closing at the end of the season. Not many options out on the cape after they close. I'm heading out there tomorrow for a few days of fishing and will be sure to stop in. There write up on the reasons explains in nicely.

tattoobob
08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Very sad, But Rich hit the nail right on the head in his write up

puppet
08-05-2015, 09:38 AM
That is a really bummer. I really liked their shop. Always friendly,
helpful, and respectful.

On a parallel. It seems like a lot of good shops have closed up...all
over the northeast.

I really enjoy going into and supporting the little shops, and I
don't mind spending extra to support them. Its part of the ritual to
chew the fat and always buy stuff, even though I might not need anything.

On the flip side....The Goose Hummock (a little before and after the
new owner) really turned into a crappy shop. I guess the fact that
they nearly have a monopoly gives them the greenlight for bad
service. Between the attitude and general jerky behavior, I doubt I
will ever go back. The last time I was there those clowns were
openly talking about how stupid or untalented their clients and
customers are. Huh? Thats a good way to run a business. I was
gonna buy some stuff but walked out instead. Just couldn't stand
listening to it. Blowhards...

Why is it that the good guys struggle and the jerks prosper in this world?

I didn't get down to that stretch too much, but when I did I always
stopped into Nelsons. The thought that it won't be there anymore
is a real bummer. I hope that they prosper in wherever their next
journey takes them.

piemma
08-05-2015, 09:39 AM
This is truly disheartening. Anyone who knew Nelson's back when Emilio owned it will remember the cast of characters that hung out there.
It was a camaraderie of hardcore Stripermen. Guys would fish around the clock and sleep in their trucks behind Nelsons. I'm talking "old" Nelsons before it moved to the barn. This is when it was in the small building upstairs.

It all changed around 2003 which was the last year the fishing was really good. The seals were starting to come on strong. The Rangers were becoming more and more invasive. They blocked the beach before the Mission Bell that year so we has maybe 1/2 a mile to run on the back. Forget the front. We had 100 yards at the station and Herring cove. We started to move to Highland Light, High Head and Coast Guard and walk.
Bastards!!!!:nailem:

BigFish
08-05-2015, 11:36 AM
What a shame. Used to go there all the time going back 20 years! Used to bump into everybody there. Those were fantastic days and I am glad that I and my family had them....and Nelsons was a big part of it. They will be missed.

Higgie
08-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I was just in there last weekend and knew something was up since the store area was cut in half in size. Im still amazed at all the old plugs and jigs that hang around the ceiling perimeter.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

afterhours
08-05-2015, 05:40 PM
sad...another one goes away. haven't been down that way much since the seals came to town in force but always stopped in - nice place, nice folks.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Well this is sad news to me,for 7 of the last 8 years i have had the pleasure of working for Rich at Nelson's.It has been a steady decline over the last 8 years,so i am not surprised at Rich's decision.this is really going to be the final nail in the coffin for the end of a era.have met some really great people thru Nelson's and quite a few are freinds for life regardless of how good or bad fishing is out there.and for record 2 of the best years that this area has ever seen were 2009 and 2010 from the beach and only a small handful were there to expierience it.fareye well to another good time

JohnR
08-05-2015, 07:15 PM
I think this is important to repost here. Truly a shame as I think they are good people and it is sad to see bad things happen to good people and good institutions go by the wayside.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nelsons-Bait-and-Tackle-and-Beth-Ann-Charters/52318493323?fref=ts

It is with mixed emotions that I am announcing we will close Nelsons Bait and Tackle after this season. Over the past twelve years we have had the pleasure and honor to provide a service to locals and tourists alike in fulfilling their fishing needs. However, the last twelve years have also seen many changes in the local fishing enviroment and fishing retail business which make successfully operating a seasonal bait and tackle shop nearly impossible. Ten years ago there were five bait and tackle shops from Eastham to Orleans, next year there will only be one.

Because of actions by the Cape Cod National Seashore and the National Wildlife Service to protect the piping plovers, a supposedly "endangered species", over sand beach access for fisherman using four wheel drive vehicles continues to be minimized year after year, driving these folks to go elsewhere to pursue their passion. I am all for enviromental causes, but putting up protective fencing on the majority of the beach, prohibiting not only four wheel drive access but also pedestrian access, just in case a plover decides they "might" want to land there, seems a bit excessive to me. I don't think we need an airport for the plovers, just give them enough protected space when they actually do land, procreate and raise their young ones. When the fisherman go elsewhere, so does their business. Another "protected species", the seals, have also had a negative impact. I know, they are cute, and were here first and all that, but they eat a heck of a lot of fish and probably are directly responsible for the total lack of any fluke in our waters for the past five years. No fluke, no sales of sand eels, no business. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying bring back the old $5 bounty on seal noses, but when the great white sharks start to devour the seals on a daily basis in the waters we swim in, I'm not going for a dip in the ocean anymore.

The start of a saltwater fishing license in Massachusetts last year has also taken a toll. While ten bucks a person won't break the bank, it's the PIA factor - folks here for a weekend or a weeks vacation often see people fishing and want to try it for themselves, either buying some inexpensive equipment or renting it. But when they have to dial a 1-800 number or hit the internet to get the license, just to mess around fishing for a few days, most often they say forget about it - more folks not fishing. As for the internet, we all like a deal, myself included, and to save a few bucks here and there it all adds up. Internet stores, which operate on such a high volume, can offer prices much lower than a local shop, and this has taken a big toll on our business. Last but not least, fishing has changed, catching a keeper fish from the beach is a rare thing nowadays and in our impatient society a lot of folks have just decided the results are not worth the effort.

Singularly, we have been able to adjust to these factors over time, but unfortunately the cumulative effects of all of them have pushed us to the point of closing. I guess the only silver lining in this cloud is that we will be liquidating our inventory at very low prices, probably even lower than internet prices, and those of you who still pursue this sport will be able to get some great deals! Also, I get to devote even more time to running our charter business, Beth Ann Charters, and putting smiles on the faces of our customers.

bloocrab
08-05-2015, 10:21 PM
I also heard that Riverside bait in Tiverton is up for sale.
I know Joe's been going through some tough times lately and is surely making the best decision for him and his family.

I wish both families the best of health, luck and prosperity in whichever direction their lives turn.

God Bless ~

flyvice11787
08-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Damn shame.

Jackbass
08-06-2015, 02:42 PM
I haven't been in as much as I should. Haven't been down as often as I would like. Always enjoyed going in to see John and Rich. Tough with the babies to to do much of anything lately.

Getting tired of 2 or three birds effing with an entire summer and individuals livelihoods. Gotta give sometime

Sea Dangles
08-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Great shop and location. I haven't been in years but I cut my teeth out there fishing for bass. It was a great shop and hangout back in the day. Emilio knew the business well and made all feel welcome. Back then you got down early and waited in line to get your beach pass before they ran out. Weekends were spent chasing bass and wondering where the high liners were catching. In the middle of the night we would meet at bars and bowls chasing stripes from Balston,Longnook,Head of the Meadow...a 20 mile stretch of sand filled with characters. Guys like Manzi, Avalon and other entertaining salts. Started friendships with Habs,Tattoo, the Bombas,Hacksaw and Chef from Ptown Inn. Some monumental daytime blitzes where you just couldn't 't believe your eyes. Every year our young family would go down as soon as school got out and camp for a week. Money was short but it was nothing but good times and making memories. Some of the characters are gone but the memories will last forever.

stripermaineiac
08-06-2015, 07:14 PM
sad part of it all is times keep changing it around. Shops,fishermen,freinds you name it all change some never to come back. So many shops an anglers aren't there anymore. Gettin a lot of alone time at nights down there. No matter where you go on the Cape. Nalsons was always a great place to stop or crash behind. especially when the nasty got too rough.

RickBomba
08-07-2015, 09:34 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&ie and I spent a lot of time this June talking to Rich. He had already downsized at that point, but every time we went in, it was just the three of us.

Rich was out almost every day on his boat when we were out. I know if it was me, I'd rather be making money running charters.

I can remember it from a long time ago (this is when I had to drag Mikey to go fishing). It's sad to see the shop go. It's also sad for Rich.

Big frown face from me....cause there's a whole huge part about that beach culture that just got driven away by the government and their rangers, and the seals.

The seals you can't do much about. The government and rangers you can't do much about either.

Again, it's sad that choices made by the powers that be led to a local business closing and a local businessman force his hand into another business.

I'd never pay a nickel of my own money to ever drive on that beach again....that's just my two cents.

Rick

RickBomba
08-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Great shop and location. I haven't been in years but I cut my teeth out there fishing for bass. It was a great shop and hangout back in the day. Emilio knew the business well and made all feel welcome. Back then you got down early and waited in line to get your beach pass before they ran out. Weekends were spent chasing bass and wondering where the high liners were catching. In the middle of the night we would meet at bars and bowls chasing stripes from Balston,Longnook,Head of the Meadow...a 20 mile stretch of sand filled with characters. Guys like Manzi, Avalon and other entertaining salts. Started friendships with Habs,Tattoo, the Bombas,Hacksaw and Chef from Ptown Inn. Some monumental daytime blitzes where you just couldn't 't believe your eyes. Every year our young family would go down as soon as school got out and camp for a week. Money was short but it was nothing but good times and making memories. Some of the characters are gone but the memories will last forever.

You put us in rare company there, Chris...big ups to you and all those guys who are still with us and also those who are not.

tattoobob
08-07-2015, 03:41 PM
This year is the first year in as far as I can remember I haven't got a over sand pass at Race Point, Sandy neck is a whole lot better for beach goers, I haven't yet fished there but plan on doing some in the future

Sweetwater
08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
I get an Over Sand Permit every year (for many years now). I live in Truro and I've been out twice all year which works out to $75 a trip. The closures are just crazy and I have to think next year I won't even bother. As far as Nelson's is concerned I'm personally surprised Rich was able to continue operating the shop as long as he did. He down sized a bit this year but at some point it really must have become a public service more than anything else. Nelson's was a landmark, sorry to see it disappear amid governmental over-management of wildlife with little regard to ensuring responsible human access to these natural resources.

Rob Rockcrawler
08-08-2015, 03:30 PM
I was in there twice over the last couple days, didn't need much but spend a few bucks to make me feel better a least. No fish to be caught which i was expecting since this was a GF trip more than a fishing trip. I think the NPS would be better off with a .22 than all the miles of fences to protect the birds. I saw 4 fox at Race point beach and a number of others on the roads around the park. I suspect they kill a lot more birds than any people or ORV's.

chris L
08-09-2015, 03:44 PM
now this is sad news . love to stop by there anytime im in town . Always was good spot to get bait and to talk . always ready to help out whether it was Emillo or Rich . Im going to have to make a special trip before the season ends and thank Rich for doing all he has over the years he has been there

Jenn
08-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Yes this is sad to hear for sure.....but at the same time it comes as no surprise. I personally feel a lot of folks, myself included spent less and less time fishing down there, probably starting just before Rich took the reigns.

joebe
08-14-2015, 10:41 AM
It is the end that has been coming for a long time. They drove me out years ago, but I will always have fond memories about spending the summer's growing up out there. Barn fire's in the cut, Walkin Campers, Scout's and Willy's everywhere, Penn Squidder's with dacron, watching the guys get ready as the sun set at the telephone rip, hanging around Charlie Whitney's shop listening to the stories, trips to the market to sell and get ice, waiting for the guys to finish up in the Focsle while I sat on sidewalk eating penny candy watching the sites, waking up in beach forest parking lot, watching the sunset at the race.

Not to mention the characters: Bonesy, Carlson, Wild Bill, Joe C, Lanny, just to mention a few.

It was an awesome experience that in this day and age is unimaginable. The freedom to come and go as you please. Fish where you want sleep where you want.

I guess it true when they say all good things must come to an end.

Rockport24
08-14-2015, 11:35 AM
this plover stuff is out of control, we should all just do a protest one day and have like a few hundred trucks just say f it and drive over them all!!

Rappin Mikey
08-17-2015, 08:31 AM
This pains me. Thanks Rich for the years of service! You will be missed.

piemma
08-17-2015, 12:56 PM
I was in there twice over the last couple days, didn't need much but spend a few bucks to make me feel better a least. No fish to be caught which i was expecting since this was a GF trip more than a fishing trip. I think the NPS would be better off with a .22 than all the miles of fences to protect the birds. I saw 4 fox at Race point beach and a number of others on the roads around the park. I suspect they kill a lot more birds than any people or ORV's.

You're right Rob. 20 years ago (my God it is 20 years) we would sit at the Second Rip and watch hawks and one Golden Eagle dive bomb the plover checks inside the fenced area. Here we were forbidden to drive because the NPS thinks we're gonna run over the birds and the hawks and eagles, not to mention the foxes, are having a field days.:jester:

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-17-2015, 05:39 PM
have to wonder how many chicks drown when the cages that protect them are underwater at high tide

MAKAI
08-18-2015, 06:28 AM
Too bad fishermen don't have NRA style political clout.
Must be our psychological make up.
We tend to like to be left alone. Secretive, hate fishing in groups for example.
We are like herding cats.

fishonnelsons
08-18-2015, 06:00 PM
You're right Rob. 20 years ago (my God it is 20 years) we would sit at the Second Rip and watch hawks and one Golden Eagle dive bomb the plover checks inside the fenced area. Here we were forbidden to drive because the NPS thinks we're gonna run over the birds and the hawks and eagles, not to mention the foxes, are having a field days.:jester:

fishonnelsons
08-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Oh my god, I remember that golden eagle, years before I bought Nelsons, thanks for reminding me of that!

fishonnelsons
08-18-2015, 06:04 PM
have to wonder how many chicks drown when the cages that protect them are underwater at high tide

John, I took a picture of the protective fencing between long pt and wood end at high tide, it was all under water! I know their are good smart people for the govt. doing this, but to put fencing up so the birds can land on land that is under water! Doesn't make sense!

Jenn
08-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Oh my god, I remember that golden eagle, years before I bought Nelsons, thanks for reminding me of that!

I dusted off the scanner just for you Rich! Also just wanted to mention in the same years album was a pic I took of the first seal I even saw out there (because at the time it was a novelty :rollem:)

P.S. when will you be open until? Through at least Sept. I hope?

Dave Peros
08-18-2015, 08:18 PM
As a kid, I used to read SWS from cover-to-cover; as all of you must remember, at that time back in the 60's it was still a fishing magazine that actually covered beach fishing as much as the boat stuff. It definitely wasn't a shill for the boat companies!
I was especially into the articles about the Race, Nauset, and the rest of the backside; I was an upper Cape kid, hanging around Popponesset and with no fishermen in my family and driving aways off in the future, all I could do was dream about that "place" and all the magic it created in my mind's eye.
Eventually, when I was involved with OTW as associate editor whose main job was coming up with story ideas and getting writers, and in some cases convincing folks that writing didn't hurt, I got the chance to see the mecca for myself. Sure, it had changed, but that first issue featured Tony Stetzko, both on the cover and in words, and eventually I met up with Emilio and he introduced me to George Carlezon. George took me out on the beach, introduced me to the "sand people" (I'm borrowing this term from Capt. Brian Horsley down in North Carolina!), and I was in heaven. I was like a dog hanging out the window - in fact, if I had a tail, I would have wagged it off.
Since I spend far more time on a boat than on the beach, I see the mecca more from the water and I guess that's better. It still looks special and I can always see it as open for business as opposed to being closed for birds and badges, which should never have happen to legendary spots like Nelson's.

Rappin Mikey
08-18-2015, 08:18 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&ie and I spent a lot of time this June talking to Rich. He had already downsized at that point, but every time we went in, it was just the three of us.

Rich was out almost every day on his boat when we were out. I know if it was me, I'd rather be making money running charters.

I can remember it from a long time ago (this is when I had to drag Mikey to go fishing). It's sad to see the shop go. It's also sad for Rich.

Big frown face from me....cause there's a whole huge part about that beach culture that just got driven away by the government and their rangers, and the seals.

The seals you can't do much about. The government and rangers you can't do much about either.

Again, it's sad that choices made by the powers that be led to a local business closing and a local businessman force his hand into another business.

I'd never pay a nickel of my own money to ever drive on that beach again....that's just my two cents.

Rick

Ha ha! I think I was the first person to bring you out there (You did stoke the fire back up at Bass Hole though a few years prior)

piemma
08-19-2015, 03:24 AM

You are welcome. It was a special place at a special time. I am privileged and happy to have been a part of the history of The Back.

All the best of success to you in your charter business.

RickBomba
08-19-2015, 06:01 AM
I have a picture somewhere of the eagle eating my striper. It stood right next to me and shredded the thing. The funny thing was, I saw this and covered the bass with some blues that I was going to give to the chef. The eagle wouldn't tough my bluefish! It was a huge bird and definitely not afraid of me. Mikey, I think I may have been the first one out there. I'm not a 100% sure. It was the year we started calling Bass Hole "Bassless Hole" I am pretty sure I was driving the Suburban, so my guess is that it was in 2001 or 2002. I can't remember what year you bought the black Jeep.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-19-2015, 07:45 AM
one of the things i miss most,is the predawn walks out to the Hump/anthill.was never a fan of mass of people when the beach was open,but the long walk with Mikey, Tuna,Bruce,jim and a cast of others was always fun and rewarding.it was sort of a private club of die hard fishers.

Blitzseeker
08-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Just horribly sad.

Starting in 1994 I made a least two 4-5 day trips out there every year, one in the spring and one in the fall, with a big group of my fishing buddies. Frequently several trips during the summer as well. Fishing steadily improved for about the first ten years, peaking around 2003 or 2004. Somewhere right after 2000 we saw the first seal or two. That same year I got my biggest bass ever from the surf. One of our guys had thier fish taken off the line by a seal in those years somewhere, and man did we laugh. Shared that story everywhere and no one beleived us. Were told flat out by several guys that we were lying. A seal taking a fish right off your line....no way!!!!!

Well we all know how that story ended over the last ten years. We still did ok in the spring many years but the fall has been a total loss the last 5+ seasons due to seals. The last couple of years we were nearly the only ones out there in the fall. Totally empty during what had always been "prime time". After such awful fall fishing the last 2-3 years, we finally bit the bullet and planned our fall trip in Nantucket this year. First time in 20 years we won't be on the outer beaches. I'm not the best fisherman in the world, but me and my friends are dedicated and persistent. If the 15-20 of us in my group aren't going to be there this fall, I don't know how a shop can stay open as we're probably the last one's to give in.

I appreciate what Rich, and Emilio before him, did in running that shop. It was an important part of a great period that I will always remember. It was part of the culture, part of what made it a mecca for me. Say what you will about the birds...I hate the closures as much as anyone...but I firmly believe that the seals changed everything. Plovers effect access but not fishing quality. The fish are still there, they are just not in the surf where they are vulnerable to the seals. No different than deer....once humans mess with populations you can't just "let it go back to normal" or they proliferate to the point of nuisance. The mismanagement of the seals destroyed the surf fishing culture of the outer beaches, IMHO.

Maybe I'll be back out sometime over the next few years to give it one more shot. But I know it'll never be the same there. Its been several years now since I had one of those amazing days that we used to take for granted. End of an era indeed.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-19-2015, 04:37 PM
personally i think if sandeels were still buring in the sand fishing would still be pretty good up here.i would really like to know why there is no place up here that you can find sandeels in the bottomfor any peroid of time. even places that didn't have seals till the last few years have been void of eels in the bottom.honestly i think seals are a nuisance,but i don't think they deter the fish from coming on the beach .have had many many nights bailing fish with seals just watching.i have had numerous mornings catching fish for hours,with seals having a feast on hooked up fish,but the fishh stayed and were back for many mornings later. well i will miss many of the peoplethat i have met thru the shopand regardless of fish or no fish i will walk these beachs as long as my legs carry me.