View Full Version : Well - power is back

JohnR
08-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Power came back on yesterday.

The storm Tuesday morning, well localized, did a fair amount of damage. Two strong cells - red / yellow / orange traveling east converging in central RI. The storm apparently was a MACROburst (not micro) (http://www.turnto10.com/story/29720351/severe-storm-tuesday-macroburst)with winds in excess of 80mph.

I was groggily awakened by the lightning and thunder - as intense as I have ever seen or heard and after stayed strong for a while. Then it got worse with what was easily gale force winds - winds in area were recorded gusting over 85mph. Lots of trees down in the area, power out.

Interesting 2 days.

Rockfish9
08-06-2015, 08:03 AM
glad you are back live.. we lost power for 5 hours on Tuesday.. a lot of tree damage/garden damage..

stripermaineiac
08-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Is it my imagination or are these storms gettin worse an more frequent. I've lost power 3 times in the last week.

Got Stripers
08-06-2015, 10:50 AM
One of my co-workers from Warwick showed me a picture on his phone, that capture what were probably close to two dozen lightening bolts in a single snap-shot. Wow was my reaction, there were so many in a small frame, it was almost hard to believe it wasn't photo-shopped.

chefchris401
08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
you guys in warwick seem to get the worse of most of these storms in the past few years, between the flooding, blizzard, power outages, etc.

Maybe the world is trying to tell you something John

ivanputski
08-06-2015, 08:16 PM
I woke up to my patio umbrella crashing into my window, and it got more interesting from there. Talk about a rude awakening... I was running from window to window, half asleep in my boxers trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Thought a tornado was upon us! 3 strong burst of a storm to hit in the last 5 weeks
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

afterhours
08-07-2015, 06:17 AM
trees down in Coventry and power out in barrington- powerfull storm. worse than many hurricanes I've seen.

Dick Durand
08-07-2015, 06:17 AM
I was standing on a rock casting into white water, noticing the arc in my line increasing and my lure skimming the surface as the wind picked up. Only when I heard thunder behind me did I turn to look at the sky and realize it was time to hightail it. Made it to the truck with lightning flashing and rain falling. Never feel comfortable near the water carrying a lightning rod.

Stewie
08-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Hail about 5/8 of an inch up here in Bedford. A few trees down and the lights kept going out and coming back on for more than a day as repairs were made

JohnR
08-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Is it my imagination or are these storms gettin worse an more frequent. I've lost power 3 times in the last week.

More power lines are being run through more yards where more people have planted trees

you guys in warwick seem to get the worse of most of these storms in the past few years, between the flooding, blizzard, power outages, etc.

Maybe the world is trying to tell you something John

:hihi:

stripermaineiac
08-07-2015, 09:13 AM
LOL Funny thought but up here there never were many yards that didn't have big trees in them. Part might be power companies tryin to squeeze more benjamins out of what they don't upgrade .

Raven
08-10-2015, 01:13 PM
With global warming there is more moisture available to make it rain there for more storms

JohnnySaxatilis
08-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Worked a claim this past week on the cape as a result of that storm. Condo got struck by lightning and lit on fire, plus the power for the whole unit got knocked out and fried. Area was well covered with trees too, no lightning rod on the complexes I guess:huh:

paradoxjim
08-12-2015, 02:20 PM
We lost power for that day down in Pawcatuck. Having the last of the damaged trees cleaned up today. A marina across the river from us recorded 67 mph gusts. My yard down there looks like a hurricane went through, yet no damage at my house in South Kingston. I can't believe that nothing happened to the boat.

hardcore from shore
08-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Micro burst at 7 am Tuesday just south west of Bell road on the canal. Lost power for most of day, many trees down in Pocasset. NWS confirmed microburst. Lost top 35 feet of 70 foot tree. My car was at east end at the time.. No fish but no damage.

ecduzitgood
08-12-2015, 05:20 PM
The telephone pole got blown over in front of Joe's fishmarket and a light pole on the service road snapped off at ground level. I was sitting in my vehicle between the Sandwhich basin marina and the canal and the wind was shaking my vehicle so much i decided it wasn't safe to be in that lot. I would have soiled myself if hail started coming down.