View Full Version : Too many stupid drivers allowed on the road

Got Stripers
08-13-2015, 10:59 AM
You would need stunt drivers and a few good rehearsals to duplicate the accident I got in this am. Driving maybe 36 on my way to work on a country road and out of the blue an older van pulls out in front of me from a street that comes in on my left. The street came in straight in at a 90, no merge or angles involved. So since he left me a choice of hard breaking to avoid hitting him or slow and turn sharp left into the side street and back into mine to avoid him; I chose the later. So since he clearly never sees me the bonehead does a sharp u-turn and hits my right rear quarter panel on my Tacoma and I had to do some fancy driving to avoid going into the woods.

My reaction was really you f'g a-hole, how the hell do you think you were possibly going to do that safely, just stay right there until the police come. Luckily two officers got the same story from both of us, but what concerns me is I hear the other driver say he lost his registration; hope he is insured or I'm screwed if I want to get it fixed.

I guess the good thing is that with the stories matching and no skid marks, clearly I couldn't possibly be speeding to get hit on a right rear quarter panel by an idiot pulling out of a street to my left. Sadly if I was speeding, I might have got by him without him getting his turn around.

Stupid drivers are everywhere, hard to avoid them all

Slipknot
08-13-2015, 11:47 AM
it sux Bob and you are right, they are out there and you have to hope that you don't encounter one sometime in your travels.
people just don't pay attention and are oblivious sometimes to their surroundings, kind of like how they live their lives, pretty sad

BigFish
08-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Bob I say it every day....its like driving in a mine field with moving mines! #^&#^&#^&#^&wadds on cell phones everywhere, nobody paying attention, everyone in a hurry! Its a challenge to get anywhere these days in one piece! People suck!!

Linesider82
08-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Between my work truck and my personal vehicle I have just under 60,000 miles over the past 2 years.

I tell my wife all the time that it amazes me on how many cars I have to avoid on a daily basis from hitting me. Over the center line, merging into my lane, one of my favorites is the guy behind you on an on ramp that merges over first and begins passing you so that when you merge the #^&#^&#^&#^&er is on your left door.

I just need a RPG for some of them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
08-13-2015, 12:23 PM
ya know being on a cellphone is worse
and more incapacitating (distracting)
than being under the influence of alcohol

i watch out for red cars -they're the worst offenders

Raider Ronnie
08-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Keeps me employed :-)

seadogg
08-13-2015, 01:08 PM
It's amazing what getting into a car does to some people. A lack of situational awareness, absence of judgement, and the inability to be calm or courteous. Classic.

BEETLE
08-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Bigfish took the words from my mouth !
Behind a few this morning - f-ing phones !!! :call:
And where is everyone in a hurry to go ?? To work - the store - coffee ??? :lossinit:

Got Stripers
08-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Happy to see the accident report matches exact circumstances and even happier to see Commerce Insurance covers him and me:), which will make it easy to get this fixed without any BS.

Thumper
08-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I was side swiped by some moron a couple weeks ago who didn't see the guy in front of him stopped to turn left with his blinker on until it was to late. Well he didn't see me either in the lane next to him. I was so glad I noticed what he was going to do before he did it and was able to get on the brakes early or it would have been a real #^&#^&#^&#^& show. This clown didn't have insurance either.

You really notice how bad people drive when you are on a motorcycle and 95% of the time it is someone on their cell phone. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I see texting and driving just going back and fourth to work.

Glad to hear things are going to work out, got stripers.

Jackbass
08-13-2015, 07:23 PM
http://www.worcesterma.gov/wpd-press-releases/5-of-large-group-of-off-road-atv-and-dirt-bike-riders-arrested

Speaking of stupid drivers how about this crew of people who should be Naturally selected. A gang of 20 something idiots driving dirtbikes and four wheelers on the wrong side of the road in Worcester.

stripermaineiac
08-13-2015, 07:50 PM
I was on 3 going to the Cape Tuesday. This dips--t in the lane to my right was texting. She never even looked up for close to a mile. I got away fromher as quick as I could. Cell phones an texting are a bad combo. At least with the old CB radios you just keyed the mike.

FishermanTim
08-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Back in the 90's I worked part time for a "executive limousine" service in Boston. One of the requirements for ALL drivers was to take a defensive driving course.

That course has kept me safe for over 20 years!
(either that or I have some 6th sense that lets me sense things before they happen, like seeing a car approaching and thinking "wouldn't it be weird if xxxxx happened?" and it does!)

Taking into account the lack of true driving skills, lack of any discernable driving instructions, and lack of sufficient police visibility of the roads, I'm surprised we haven't had all our roads turned into real life "Grand Theft Auto" games?

Sadly, we have had to become driving isolationist, forced to think of our own safety above all others.(think about how many good Samaritans have been killed roadside by these same idiot drivers?)

JohnR
08-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Today with texting and cell phones, every day everywhere is like Center St in West Roxbury

Steve K
08-14-2015, 08:10 AM
http://www.worcesterma.gov/wpd-press-releases/5-of-large-group-of-off-road-atv-and-dirt-bike-riders-arrested

Speaking of stupid drivers how about this crew of people who should be Naturally selected. A gang of 20 something idiots driving dirtbikes and four wheelers on the wrong side of the road in Worcester.
Similar group went through the Ted Williams tunnel earlier in the summer. Must be some ridiculous trend all recorded to brag to everyone on YouTube. Hopefully Darwin will take care of them.

Sea Dangles
08-14-2015, 08:58 AM
The entire conversation is stupid to be honest. I would be afraid to ride a motorcycle with the cellphones drivers now,almost got wiped on my bicycle 2 weeks ago.

macojoe
08-14-2015, 01:23 PM
I keep telling my son he is going to kill himself or worse yet some family cause of that F#$% phone!! He says no worry, Gets mad at me cause when I go some were with him that phone is not allowed in my car, so he says, ok I will meet you there. He is a 29 year old that if he doesn't die is going to learn the hard way.

Justfishin'
08-16-2015, 06:44 AM
I live in the hills of CT, so cell service sux at best. But a couple of weeks ago a woman was trying to text and went through the rails and down an embankment, breaking her leg and totaling her car(mercedes), it was the buzz talk at the lumberyard. We all felt that distracted driving is worse around here with people waving their phones around trying to get a signal.
Can't an interference signal be built into cars so you can't text? Or is that wishful sci-fi thinking?

Cool Beans
08-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Can't an interference signal be built into cars so you can't text? Or is that wishful sci-fi thinking?

it would be relatively easy to do, but would also block cell calls and open huge legal issues, requiring the device to auto shut off in the event of a crash. there would be lawsuits all over about all sorts of crap ie: an elderly couple stuck in a snow storm, needing to keep the car on to keep from freezing but unable to call or text, not knowing why their phone didnt work. We have too many people that would try to take advantage of flaws in the system or outright cheat the system.

It would work flawlessly in some other countries like Singapore and most of Asia. Hell I remember driving in Singapore, the car had a yellow rotating light on top, that would turn on if you drove over the highway speed limit. Automatic ticket.. and if you got caught disabling it, there was a huge fine (over $1,000). I am sure they have some serious laws there about cell phone use, if its not blocked in all cars there.

It would be a thing for the near future to develop smart cars that would simply issue the driver a ticket on the spot for certain offences. Similar to the one for swearing on that Sylvester Stallone movie. Remember he couldn't get the 3 sea shells to work, so he used "swear tickets" to wipe with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4HEEiJuGo

FishermanTim
08-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Today with texting and cell phones, every day everywhere is like Center St in West Roxbury

:splat: I know what you mean!!!

Justfishin'
08-17-2015, 12:42 PM
it would be relatively easy to do, but would also block cell calls and open huge legal issues, requiring the device to auto shut off in the event of a crash. there would be lawsuits all over about all sorts of crap ie: an elderly couple stuck in a snow storm, needing to keep the car on to keep from freezing but unable to call or text, not knowing why their phone didnt work. We have too many people that would try to take advantage of flaws in the system or outright cheat the system.

Maybe blocking texts while in Drive, or over 5mph or something.
And drown all the lawyers who would sue on a loophole; this litigious society crap has to stop.

MakoMike
08-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Maybe blocking texts while in Drive, or over 5mph or something.
And drown all the lawyers who would sue on a loophole; this litigious society crap has to stop.

Some modern cars and truck have text recognition software that will read the texts to you without you having to take your eyes off the road.

FishermanTim
08-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Some modern cars and truck have text recognition software that will read the texts to you without you having to take your eyes off the road.

If there is any justice (or at least good karma) then the new vehicles like the Chevy cars with Wi-Fi connectivity will become a haven for hackers. Use your vehicle Wi-Fi and get hacked, and if you're REALLY lucky you have the same hackers take control of your car WHILE YOU'RE driving it!