View Full Version : 8 bucks a pound Wow

stripermaineiac
08-13-2015, 07:39 PM
The charge started around 830pm. As the tide changed I had some fish. Then the boats started pouring out of the Sandwich marina by the dozens. from16 ftrs to 40 ft sportfishers all chasing gold. I stopped counting at 50. Spooked what fish I had to other waters. Now I:sled: know what a gold rush back in the 1800s looked like. Hope they spooked the bass so some have a chance to survive. WOW.

niko
08-13-2015, 08:08 PM
not even close to 8 a pound

ProfessorM
08-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Aug 24th I am hearing is the end
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles
08-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Of the world?

Raider Ronnie
08-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Of the world?

No.
It's when all GripersForever are going to commit mass suicide.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-14-2015, 06:21 AM
yet it is perfectly ok when thousands line the banks of the Canal to take one home to eat.any report of fish leads to on on slaught of anglers.if don't want to kill a fish stay home

Guppy
08-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Came in from the other direction, soo many lights they obscured the entire sureline.

rphud
08-14-2015, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

stripermaineiac
08-14-2015, 09:14 AM
LOL I love it. Hows that go the greed of a few far outweigh the needs of the fish. Only saw 2 fish taken home an 1 was a blue out of about 20 people many a group of families. the morning bite what few of us landed fish put them back. Ah but thats ok. like before when it gets too bad the feds will have to take action and another mortorium will do the job.. MMMMM no school at P-Town,Chatham no fish,the outer Cape so good Nelsons is closing,and up in down the coast catch numbers plummet.Even with it 1 fish at 28 almost coast wide.Yup it's not my fault I keep hearing. Sad an shame on you that choose not to look to the future. Still only 1 kept fish this yr and most around doin the same. Oh well the story will never change. Ron

Nebe
08-14-2015, 09:30 AM
This is basic economics. Less fish brought to market means higher demand and thus a higher market price.
The price alone tells us that there is not an abundance of fish to be caught and sold.

Market price is unbiased and speaks the truth that the commercial bass fisherman will never admit. Higher prices mean more money!!! Maybe we can get that price up to $20 a pound! Then we will all be able to buy regulators !!!!

Mike P
08-14-2015, 11:40 AM
This is basic economics. Less fish brought to market means higher demand and thus a higher market price.
The price alone tells us that there is not an abundance of fish to be caught and sold.

Market price is unbiased and speaks the truth that the commercial bass fisherman will never admit. Higher prices mean more money!!! Maybe we can get that price up to $20 a pound! Then we will all be able to buy regulators !!!!

Adjust $3.50 for 30 years worth of inflation, and you'll see how the stocks were in 1985. When some commercials were claiming that there were plenty of bass, and they were just all offshore. :D

Rockport24
08-14-2015, 11:59 AM
google calculates 7.76 per pound, so right on the money Mike!
Plus there was no EEZ back then was there? so those "offshore" fish were fair game...

Nebe
08-14-2015, 01:11 PM
I rest my case.

Guppy
08-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Check came for last weeks drop off,,,, 3 something a lb.,,, where is this Google buyer?

Rockport24
08-14-2015, 02:04 PM
no, google calculated the inflation adjustment for $3.50 per pound in 1985 in today's dollars, which would be $7.76 in today's dollars. If we do it in reverse and you are getting $3/pound today, that would only be $1.35 a pound in 1985 and this whole argument goes out the window

Sea Dangles
08-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Google this bitch

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-14-2015, 06:26 PM
stripermaniac,for your info,this spring was one of the best in many years up around Ptown,you just needed a boat or kayak to reach them,if you could cast a 159 yds you could have done quite well from the beach.working at Nelson's i have a pretty good idea why they are closing and the lack of fish isn't very high on the list.don't get me wrong fishing isn't what it was 10 years ago for most beach fishermen,but in life i can't think of many things that are the same as years past.

cow tamer
08-14-2015, 06:51 PM
but in life i can't think of many things that are the same as years past.

How true, how very true.
Words well spoken.

redlite
08-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Boat fishing has been about as good as ive experienced it in 21 yrs of havin a commercial license. The shore thing hasnt been so bad either for the few times i been out. At least definately better than the past 2 seasons. Just had to change things up a lot. Been the year of the plug. Something i, an eel prophet, would never have thought or done for not some outside younger wisdom. Yes, the fish stocks might be hurtin and not in the usual haunts, but still strongly believe that as a biomass they r thriving. Just not for the shore bound folk and from what im hearin not in legal waters either. Thats the thing that sucks when the fish counters do their stock assessments. I know for a fact that A lot of their programs are done outside the 3 mile line. The state guys were contacting me for advice on where to go to do their tagging program in buzzards bay anfew weeks ago and even they only got 5 fish in a couple of days. And they know what they r doin. Bleak outlook. Its a lot like the unemployment claim rates. They say numbers are down and there are lots of jobs. Numbers skewed cause more folks gettin kicked off obama plan so less can claim. Plenty of jobs they say. Yeah sure if u wanna go slave for $10 an hour.....and now bass is only about $3 / lb. maybe obama will bail me out cause i am only makin half as much as a few weeks ago now. If u really think the sky is fallin i have a bunch of umbrellas to sell ya

redlite
08-14-2015, 08:10 PM
stripermaniac,for your info,this spring was one of the best in many years up around Ptown,you just needed a boat or kayak to reach them,if you could cast a 159 yds you could have done quite well from the beach.working at Nelson's i have a pretty good idea why they are closing and the lack of fish isn't very high on the list.don't get me wrong fishing isn't what it was 10 years ago for most beach fishermen,but in life i can't think of many things that are the same as years past.
yet it is perfectly ok when thousands line the banks of the Canal to take one home to eat.any report of fish leads to on on slaught of anglers.if don't want to kill a fish stay home

And every time i have to wash the rockstar pee off when i peel my wetsuit off makes my heart cry with sorrow for the good old bygone backside days john. Still have and use a coulple of your first needle fish u gave me about 15 yrs ago Fish been eatin them and old school habs pretty good this year

stripermaineiac
08-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Sounds a load like the 80's. nothings wrong just a load of good fishermen suddenly forgot how to catch fish. Boat guys are doin good. Surf guys all forgot how its done. Or maybe just maybe the coast wide decline in catch numbers might mean something
fish always move with the food. So when there's loads of food where are the fish that normally feed on them. The money types said nothing was wrong before. They must be just as right now as back then. Good thing there is the EEZ. The fish do have a safe haven. At least the deep water fish that have always been out there. The shore fish have been hammered to the point not a lot left. But yes guys like me will keep stateing the obvious even for those that don't want to hear it. 1 thing I learned from Bob Pond.

ecduzitgood
08-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Remember 1 in 12 fish you catch will die even after being released.I try and limit the number of fish and the size of the fish I hook. 2 weeks ago I wanted one for the table and the first fish I caught was in the size range I wanted I took it and the rest of my live eels home. To me it would have been abusive to stay and fish. It is just my opinion but seriously think about how many you hook and how many will not survive. Do you care enough to stop hooking them?
I 'll have to get the stripers gone wild DVD out and watch it again. I remember seeing plenty of bass pass that spearing before one actually ate it. I wonder how many fish are there but just don't eat what we're throwing. I heard there is a guy with a water wolf that he used down the ditch and I was told you would be amazed how many fish were actually there but didn't hit the plug or jig.

MAKAI
08-14-2015, 09:40 PM
I worked the fillet table for the Jimmy fund tournament last Friday. 72 boats caught 5 bass.
Lots of blues though.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-15-2015, 07:34 AM
yet most off the guys i know that fish commercially limited out monday and thursday,must be a very tiny school of fish.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-15-2015, 07:58 AM
maniac, you are right most people that fish these days couldn't catch a fish in a fish market.good fisherman don't go aroud telling how good or bad they are doing when fishing is easy everyone is a heroe,when things get a little harder they all cry the world is coming to an end

MAKAI
08-15-2015, 08:19 AM
5 years ago I cut an awful lot of bass for the Jimmy fund tournament. Over the last few years there has been a substantial decline in the amount of bass brought in. Always have been 60 to 70 boats out there, not googans by the way.
I suppose that the schools are not as omnipresent as years past. Seems like they are scattered and condensed. If you find them you find a bunch.
I know I'm a bit jaded though, I was one of those guys who fished the backside way to much from the late 70's to about 2010. I would guess my expectations are higher than reality.
Not dealing with pinnipeds. I fish elsewhere now.

piemma
08-15-2015, 01:48 PM
I have not posted anything about the bass bite in awhile. It doesn't make any difference if a few guys are crushing them and the vast majority are hurting. It doesn't make any difference if the jamokes or googans or whatever you want to call them are crushing fish in the Canal. It's a fish highway. Even an idiot can catch fish on the minus tides.

The fact of the matter is the stocks are depleted. I have had about the same number of fish this year as last. No where near what I had 5 years ago and forget what I was catching in 06 and 07.

The fact is I have changed my fishing patterns. I don't liveline anymore. Eels after dark in the shallows and chunks in the daytime in deep water. I also have been pulling tube and worm, something I never use to do. I have had some awesome days in bright sunlight with tubes.

So we all have adapted to the changes forced upon us. The Back beaches are another story altogether. Plovers haven't been the cause of the lack of fish in close, the seals have. In the 90s you could and did have 600, 700, 800 pound nights on the beach. I don't care how good you think you are, you aren't doing that today.

I don't think the 1 @28" has made any difference. What I do believe is that we will see another moratorium in the next 5 years.

Amen.

numbskull
08-15-2015, 04:31 PM
maniac, you are right most people that fish these days couldn't catch a fish in a fish market.good fisherman don't go aroud telling how good or bad they are doing when fishing is easy everyone is a heroe,when things get a little harder they all cry the world is coming to an end

True, but totally irrelevant. And totally self-serving as well.

But it is a dead horse. There are indeed still decent numbers of large fish to be caught and sold, and plenty of small (2011 YOY) fish in the pipeline to replace them. There will be no moratorium. All that will happen is that commercial size limit will be reduced once these big fish are exhausted. In the meantime they will increase the allowed commercial days to "sustainably utilize" the diminishing numbers of what is left.

As for those who like to target big fish using inefficient techniques.......tough luck.

Sea Dangles
08-15-2015, 06:39 PM
LI is a good guy,who knows how to catch bass,met him on the backside and I am sure he is well informed regarding the bite. He used to work at the tackle shop going out of business because of seals/plovers...(fill in the blank). Now there will be no tackle shops in the last 20 miles due to seals/plovers.... Nothing to do with bass,the quota is being filled. Pay no attention that the entire biomass is feeding at two buffets. Race,no.valiant,no. Cuttyhunk,no. Vineyard,no. Watch Hill,no. Newport,no. Devils bridge,no. Chatham...not this year. Westport, not that I know. So yes, the quota wil be filled with smuggled fish and a lot of bait where everyone knows there are fish. No worries, I have caught bass every time I target them, must be the boat!

piemma
08-16-2015, 02:34 AM
LI is a good guy,who knows how to catch bass,met him on the backside and I am sure he is well informed regarding the bite. He used to work at the tackle shop going out of business because of seals/plovers...(fill in the blank). Now there will be no tackle shops in the last 20 miles due to seals/plovers.... Nothing to do with bass,the quota is being filled. Pay no attention that the entire biomass is feeding at two buffets. Race,no.valiant,no. Cuttyhunk,no. Vineyard,no. Watch Hill,no. Newport,no. Devils bridge,no. Chatham...not this year. Westport, not that I know. So yes, the quota wil be filled with smuggled fish and a lot of bait where everyone knows there are fish. No worries, I have caught bass every time I target them, must be the boat!

:claps:

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-16-2015, 05:40 AM
yep self serving,i am the best ,a pompous chest beating doctor who can catch large fish on srlf made plugs oh that's or thats someone else,enough of this forum,it was fun for 15 years.and pie i would love to see the slips of 600 lb nights from the beach,the old day stories really are funny.

stripermaineiac
08-16-2015, 06:59 AM
LOL They might be funny but it was a great time to live them. Once you got hooked you were hooked forever.

ProfessorM
08-16-2015, 07:37 AM
yep self serving,i am the best ,a pompous chest beating doctor who can catch large fish on srlf made plugs.

Hey I know that guy. But the catching large fish part is a stretch

piemma
08-16-2015, 11:59 AM
yep self serving,i am the best ,a pompous chest beating doctor who can catch large fish on srlf made plugs oh that's or thats someone else,enough of this forum,it was fun for 15 years.and pie i would love to see the slips of 600 lb nights from the beach,the old day stories really are funny.

Not me. I never approached that number but Lanny Grazine, Stevie Mills, #^&#^&#^&#^&y Conoyer , Tom Murphy and others sure did. I SAW the slips. Ask Back Beach about those days.

You were there. You know the truth. How about the night in the early 90s when Stevie ****** came in with 1200# in that old boat with no lights.

Slipknot
08-16-2015, 07:51 PM
No need to give up on the forum John, stick around, your opinion is as welcome as even Sea Dangles.
I miss it out there on the beach, the most beautiful shore in the world, at least my world

stripermaineiac
08-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Never had a clear night out there that i didn't see a few shooting stars. Was a very nice place to fish. Hard part at night now is from time to time you run into a bunch of bbbbiiiiggg seals on the beach. kinda spooky when its pitch black out. Too big to not be dangrous when surprised.

numbskull
08-17-2015, 03:24 PM

It is your argument that is self-serving. It states that anybody who raises concerns about the declining fishery can't fish and should therefore be ignored.

A better argument would be that anyone with an agenda against someone they have never met has problems of their own and should be ignored.

So stick around. I'll do you a favor and put you on the ignore list.
Cheers.

Clammer
08-17-2015, 03:34 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< WOW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:happy:

thefishingfreak
08-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Shoreatorium

numbskull
08-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Hey I know that guy. But the catching large fish part is a stretch

It got better once we started using your plugs, however.

tysdad115
08-17-2015, 03:45 PM
:uhuh:Boats are better than shore anyways!!!:uhuh:

Sea Dangles
08-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Funny part is John is anything but self-serving and George is not going to be mistaken for King Kong.
Internet.....

ProfessorM
08-17-2015, 05:50 PM
It got better once we started using your plugs, however.

Well of course. 😊

You can't be mad at anyone who practices what preaches and is passionate about what they believe in. You just have to agree to disagree and respect each other. Does make for some entertaining diolog though.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-17-2015, 09:13 PM
with last nights onslaught,the price should be below 3 bucks once again,even a few shorebound anglers got in on the action.won't be many left for canal fishers to kill on their way back this fall.

l.i.fish.in.vt
08-18-2015, 05:02 AM
yes i do have my own problems,the the high cost of health services i can no longer afford my shrink,i can't afford my medications,i stay up all night trying to catch a fish or two to supplement my income,and to top it all off i will be soon out of work,so i apologize for taking my frustrations out on you George.PM,i think there is no arguing on the fact that stocks are declining,its how we deal with it is were people disagree

JohnR
08-18-2015, 07:07 AM
LI - so the reasonable thing to do is to work on protecting the declining fish stocks, right?

The numbers are down. Yes, some people still have some fish, and every year that hot spot moves around and a couple places stay consistent. But there are less hot spots, and there are less fish being caught not in those hot spots. Because the overall numbers are down.

ProfessorM
08-18-2015, 11:29 AM
with last nights onslaught,the price should be below 3 bucks once again,even a few shorebound anglers got in on the action.won't be many left for canal fishers to kill on their way back this fall.

That statement has me depressed for my own personal fishing outings. Believe you me I have been thinking about this specific issue ever since the bio mass congregated off the beaches I so enjoy fishing and stayed far enough off shore for the floating city to enjoy and not me. Oh well.