View Full Version : advice please

brubjnb
07-21-2003, 09:57 PM
I am relatively new to striper fishing. I live in Pennsylvania, and only went striper fishing once, two years ago with a friend who lives in Sandwich Mass, and has a boat. My 19 year old son and I are driving to the Cape for a short weekend the first weekend in August. We will be driving up Saturday, fishing with Steve on his boat on Sunday and then will be looking for a good place to fish from shore Monday morning before heading back to Pennsylvania Monday afternoon. We're staying at the Old Colony in East Sandwich, Mass, so looking for something within reasonable driving distance from there.
Just bought a new 9' quantum blue rod with matching quantum blue 80 reel. Have it spooled with 25# ANDE pink line. Anxious to try it out up there.
Any advice on terminal tackle for shore fishing??
Thanks
:confused:

Fish On
07-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Some of the more experienced guys have been very helpful to me so let me take a shot at helping you out. As far a spots for shore fishing, I can really only speak to the Vineyard on the south cape. If you do decide to look there try south beach. There is an access road through Katama and you can drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle all the way close to Chappy without any permit. You can also try Gay Head which is the west end of the island. The tough part about Gay Head is that you must park and walk a mile or 2 to get to the best spots. Perhaps some of the other guys that fish near Sandwich can help you with closer locations.

Terminal gear would depend on the type of bait you are fishing. If fishing at night I recommend live eels. You can buy the eel hooks that are tied with a 60 lb leader and barrel swivel all together. They come in packs of 2 for about $2-$3. Use a fish finder above the barrel swivel with a good size pyramid weight depending on the tide/current. 16 oz is probably about average for what I use.

Good luck.

bassmaster
07-22-2003, 07:19 PM
any of the outer beaches should be a good bet
You will have a building moon and that I like for this year and good night time tides.
Pick a beach and have at it
fish the incoming
and the tide at sun drop aint bad to...
work needles and bombers at night along with some wood
for the boat You have alot of places You can go

brubjnb
07-23-2003, 07:15 PM
replying to "Fish On"
You say to put a "fish finder" above the barrel swivel.
What is that??

and another question to bassmaster.
you have a novice here - what are needles, and bombers and wood.
thanks for your help

beachwalker
07-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Fish On,

just pulling your leg but:

16 oz is average ?

:D ;)

Notaro
07-23-2003, 08:27 PM
you don't need to use a fishfinder rig for eel at night. fishfinder rig is one of the most easiest thing a person can rig up on the spot he or she fishes at. it doesnt have to be pre-made. use a 80 lbs-150 lbs crane barrel or any kind of strongest bareel swivel u can use. then measure your leader (fluro in 30-80 lbs or 60 lbs mono) from your both arms. then apply a palmoaur knot on the hook and barrel swivel with the leader. then use the slider. put ur main line through your fishfider slider. then add a weight. then you are set.

use gakasmatu hook octopus 7/0 for clams. gakasmatu octopus hook 5/0 or 6/0 for eels (i learned this from a friend of mine). wide circle hooks or circle hooks should be around from 2/0-5/0 (from my experience). some people say that diachi demon circle hooks are wonder. you can try that.

bassmaster
07-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by brubjnb
replying to "Fish On"
You say to put a "fish finder" above the barrel swivel.
What is that??

and another question to bassmaster.
you have a novice here - what are needles, and bombers and wood.
thanks for your help
please drop the fish finder on the eel please and use a circle hook
or go to a bait shop and get a box of mustad 94150 hooks
come up through the jaw and out the eye of the eel.

A needle is a lure its a needlefish lure Habs sells them and a few other co's make them.
a bomber is a plastic lure and wood is lures in general like metal lip swimmers Tattoo Darters:smash: :D ect.........

bloocrab
07-24-2003, 12:13 AM
There are 4 items in this picture...

#1. - A sinker ....also known as your weight...

#2. - The line from the reel to the swivel...

#3. - The table the picture was taken on...

#4. - (?)

I'll let you take a guess at #4 ... ;)

beachwalker
07-24-2003, 03:59 AM
A piece of red oak ?

mrmacey
07-24-2003, 06:24 AM
CANT believe nobody guessed that its a fishfinder rig what do I win:happy: :happy: :happy:

Fish On
07-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Ok,OK I gave the guy my cheeze and wine setup. By cheeze and wine I mean using a fishfinder with lots of weight cuz when I'm on the beach and into the cheeze and wine I'm not able to cast and retrieve the eel as is probably the most productive approach and I want the darn thing to stay where I put it, hence the 16 oz.

I figured the guy would be having some rare one on one time with his son and talking about life, sports, etc. and would best benefit from my cheeze and wine setup.

Fish On
07-24-2003, 09:17 AM
I've got 1 issue with the picture that should be explained as this guy is a novice. Don't use the weight shown. Use a pyramid shaped weight which will have a better chance of staying put. The weight shown if used on south beach will roll right down the current and end up 5 feet from the beach.

Nice picture though!

beachwalker
07-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Right on Fish on !

Good answer and that is some casual fishing.

Except we may have to develop some sort of cannon to fire the thing out there ! :)

Notaro
07-24-2003, 04:50 PM
I thought that no one use a weight for eel slinging?

BigBo
07-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Well, I never do Notaro, but then again, I do almost all my fishing from the boat:hee:

brubjnb
07-24-2003, 09:15 PM
you guys are great. Makes me wish I lived closer to salt water. I can get to the Jersey Shore in 2.5 hours hoping no cops are around. Realistically, what size pyramid sinker should I use for shore casting. 16 ounces seems VERY heavy.
I also wish I would have found this site before I bought my new rod and reel. I had gotten a $50 gift Cert. from one of my sons for Fathers Day, and had a 25% off coupon from Sports Authority, so I got the Quantum 9' rod and reel for $40 out of pocket. I'm hearing a lot of other rod names on here, so i'll keep those in mind for my second surf rod.
Thanks for you help, and keep the advice comin. I'll post pics of our trip and out catches(hehe)
Neal

StripperSearch
07-24-2003, 10:35 PM
haven't done a lot of fishing at night... sorry if these are stupid questions... what's the logic behind the fishfinder rig? why would you need this when slinging eels? does it allow the eel to still drift and swim away? why not just attach the weight directly? or is the weight for casting purposes only? thanks

Fish On
07-24-2003, 10:40 PM
Well I guess I like to let the eel have a bit more room to rome and casting a fish finder 30" above the hook is much easier than dealing with a longer leader. That may not make a ton of sense but I'm always trying to get someone else to do my work for me. In this case the eel.

Notaro
07-24-2003, 11:05 PM
brunhbs, 16 oz is kinda heavy for a sinker. you need a proper gear to withstand the eel's weight.

elmer, with the fish finder, i will educate you when we hook up soon. it's used for baitfishing.

bassmaster
07-25-2003, 09:06 PM
eels on fish finder:smash:

brubjnb
08-04-2003, 09:49 PM
about two weeks ago I posted a request for help about where and how to fish offshore in the Sandwich, MA area, where my 19 y.o. son and I were planning a weekend trip from Pennsylvania. Well, we just got home from a great weekend in Cape Cod.
We drove up Saturday, getting a bit of a late start since "one of us" was out too late with his girlfriend - and no, it wasn't me!
And the drive on Interstate 95 thru NYC took long as always, so we only arrived in Sandwich at 8:30 pm, and went straight to the BEE-HIVE restaurant for dinner. It was Great, but too late to try to do any evening shore fishing.
My friend Steve picked us up at 5:30 Sunday morning with the boat in tow, and we were on the water in Barnstable Harbor ( learned it's pronounced "haaba", at least by Steve). After working the outgoing tide and landing a number of small stripers and blues and one 20"+ flattie, we moved out into the Bay. Due to the misty, foggy morning, it took things awhile to get going, but we finally ended up on Billingsgate Shoal where we were jigging sluggo's. My son got his first big bass which was 33" and weighed in at 12 lbs. Not to be outdone, dad (me) came up with a 35" which also weighed just over the 12 lbs. Since these were the first keeper stripers we ever caught, we chose to keep them for eating. Many. many dogfish later, i also got a 30" striper, which I released. Total take for the day for the 4 species we caught was about 40 - 50 fish. We trailered the boat at 3pm, and after a bit of rest, Steve finished the day by buying us dinner at the Aqua-Grill in Sandwich, insisting that I eat my FIRST Lobster Dinner in his presence. It was fabulous.
Like Arnold whats-his-name says - "We'll be baaaccccckkkk"

Fish On
08-04-2003, 09:53 PM
What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Welcome back!