View Full Version : Weighting schematics

Swimmer
08-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Musso Wadd needle weighting scheme needed, or the Beachmaster version of the Wadd. Know its a reach, but I thought I'd ask.

ecduzitgood
08-24-2015, 05:37 PM
If no one replies I recommend a chisel. ;)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

stripermaineiac
08-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Use a carpentry stud finder. Works sometimes. Or cut the through wire to see what the weights are then rewire the plug.

nightfighter
08-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Do you have one, Frank? If so, take it to your veterinarian and ask how much for an x-ray... The local vet is a fisherman, so I would barter x-ray for finished plugs. Been a couple of years since I last did that though.

ProfessorM
08-25-2015, 06:36 AM
I am sure George has an x Ray. I probably have a pic somewhere I will take a look and see if I can find it. If not just cut wire and retire. Belly wgts will be tougher and I think
That is what you are after

Swimmer
08-25-2015, 08:51 AM
No I don't have one. My x-ray eyes could have figured it out somehow. Needles are on my bucket list, and I want to do some before the Vineyard trip. I know these went 3 to 3 1/2 oz., and I am just trying to get it right.

Swimmer
08-25-2015, 08:51 AM
I'll rem,ember the stud finder next time I have the lure though Ron. Thanks

chefchris401
08-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Frank I'll post some pics for you, have a master with all the weight holes drilled out.

The fat wadd version and the thinner Musso ss version.

eskimo
08-25-2015, 11:55 AM
This was from one of Numbskull's X-rays. Looks a bit more like the skinnier BM than Musso but only he can confirm.

If its the shape you are after just use the the same layout and move the placement around with elastics until you get the angle you'd like it to sink at.

scmarques
03-28-2016, 07:45 PM
I was able to determine from a couple of BM wadds that there are Qty 2 - 1/2" dia weights located at 4" and 6" on center from the nose. I used 3/8" thick weights. The plugs are big but ride nice.

numbskull
03-31-2016, 10:51 AM
The weights are standard BM 9-10 gram weights.
I think, however, it best not to post x-rays of plugs that are still in production.

I will say that after learning a lot about weighting schemes I find it is a mistake to try and copy them exactly. There is too much variability in wood weight and buoyancy differences from subtle shape differences (between your copy and the original). You are better to picture what you want a plug to do, then weight it accordingly.