View Full Version : Bonito Recipe

Guppy
09-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Anyone have a good one they wood like to share?
TIA

iamskippy
09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Marinade in white wine, Soy Sauce and brown sugar, cook em quick like you would do a tuna.

Dick Durand
09-01-2015, 02:39 PM
I caught one this morning. This afternoon I cut a few thin slices, dipped them in soy, added wasabi and ginger, and enjoyed every bite.

Otherwise, marinate the fillets and grill them. Someone suggested steaking them rather than filleting them.The following recipe is from a back issue of On the Water, but it may be easier to simply marinate in an Italian dressing.

Bonito with Chinese Marinade

2 lbs bonito fillets
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TBLS cheap dry sherry
2 TBLKS white vinegar
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
1 TBLS garlic, chopped
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 TBLS water
sprigs of cilantro or parsley for garnish

Mix soy, sherry, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Marinate fish in the mixture for at least 1/2 hr. at room temp or in the frig for up to 6 hrs.
Remove fish and strain the marinate. Put it into a saucepan and heat to boiling; stir in cornstarch mix and remove from heat once it thickens.
Grill fish for 2-3 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the sauce during the final minutes.

I've done this and it's pretty good. Ironically, it's better with black sea bass fillets. Good luck

Guppy
09-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Good ones, thanks

I tried my own variation of this b 4 checking back here

Create a spicy fish rub by mixing together chipotle chilies, crushed garlic, Mexican oregano, salt, lime juice and olive oil. Combine the ingredients to form a paste.

I made it loose and marinated the fish, super hot grille, chowed down!
Soooooo good��

Mike P
09-01-2015, 08:05 PM
My theory is, there's no way that you can make bonito taste bad. Even if you overcook it, you can make it into bonito salad.

On the other hand, there's no way to make false albacore taste good. :D

Guppy
09-02-2015, 05:55 AM
On the other hand, there's no way to make false albacore taste good. :D

you got that right! Nasty stuff! LOL ,,, But o how they fight.....

going to try pan seared for lunch.....

Swimmer
09-02-2015, 08:18 PM
smoke it, awesome. Smoke albies as well
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
09-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Smoked bonito, cream cheese and capers on a bagel. Mmmmmmmm
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PaulS
09-03-2015, 06:57 AM
I had 1 I was going to cook up Tues. night and forgot it in a friends boat :(

scottw
09-03-2015, 09:29 AM
roll in olive oil and your choice of grilling spices, I like spicy asian blend....grill....drop it on a bed of mixed greens, thin sliced red onion, cucumber, red pepper and tomato...drizzle with a simple vinaigrette olive oil, rice wine vinegar and orange juice and a touch of honey mustard...pretty good