View Full Version : Panama

bassballer
09-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Heading to Panama in late october for a little vacation with the wife/fishing adv. Will be fishing from shore for roosters, and cubura snaps, and whatever else will hit. Anyone ever been? Looking for advice for where. Seems like the pacific side is where you want to be. Any info would be great.

Sea Dangles
09-12-2015, 02:45 PM
I have heard the hookers are fantastic there!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Cool Beans
09-12-2015, 06:28 PM
I went there in my navy days (on 3 counter narcotics deployments) You have to fish freshwater for peacock bass in lake Gatun. We took a very economical charter there ($40 a person) in small bass boats, using shiners and caught a lot peacock bass. They filleted the fish for us and then took us back to the restaurant the family owns and fried the fish up various ways. was very good.

Also we took a charter for Mahi-mahi there as well, they called them El-dorado though. It was about 6 years ago, and I have no idea what the name of the charter was. I actually like the fishing out of Costa Rica better. We took a charter there from a small town called Gulfito. There is a cool open air sports bar restaurant there where the guy will cook any fish you bring in on a huge stone outdoor grill, and make fish tacos and such. We also drank a TON of rum down there.. LOL.. you can pick it up in any grocery store in a bundle pack taped right to a liter of cola.

Cool Beans
09-12-2015, 07:49 PM
We did have one instance of an attempted pick pocket, my friend chased the guy down, tackled him in front of a jewelry store, which was guarded by a local security guard with an automatic rifle. The guard jumped out pointing the gun and my friend until he takes the wallet back and shows the guard his ID from the wallet proving the guy stole it.

In the maybe 10 or 12 times I have been there, that was the only trouble we had.

Make sure you wear sunblock! I once got severe sun burn/poison there. Put me sick in quarters for 3 days with a high fever. Face and legs peeled 3 times, legs actually peeled the first time like a pair of socks. The ozone seems a lot thinner closer to the equator.

Clammer
09-12-2015, 08:25 PM
I,d go with Sea Dangles observation ><><:eyes:

nightfighter
09-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Seven day "hunting" trip in closing days of 1989. Have never gone back. I got nothing for you......

bassballer
10-22-2015, 04:43 PM
leaving tomorrow. Heading to Boca Del Toro, staying at a small island off there. It was a change of plans from the pacific side. Apparently the snook and tarpon fishing around the island is really good. Stoked to do some exploring and stick some fish. Hopefully i'll have decent report.