View Full Version : New Mustad trebles.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Anyone try the new mustad treble hooks yet? I bought a pack of 2/0 5x the other day, they look to be the size of 3/0 VMC's. I think they were the same price as VMC's, maybe a dollar less for 25. I switched the hooks on a redfin and managed to bend the hell out of the hook on a rock with just one good pull to free it out of the weed. I wasn't fishing a very tight drag since i was into mostly smaller fish. IMO their 5x isn't as strong as the VMC 3x. Maybe it was a bad hook i can't say for sure.

ivanputski
09-14-2015, 01:09 PM
I have been using the mustad 5X 3/0
instead of VMC 4X and am happy with them. Had fish to 41#
on them with a locked drag. Happy with them so far. I tried them out
as a low cost alternative to vmc 6X

JLH
09-14-2015, 01:58 PM
I've been using them some and find that the sizes are about one off to VMC. Where I would use a 4/0 VMC I'm using a 3/0 Mustad. Haven't tried the 2/0 at all but on the 3/0 and 4/0 I haven't had any issues with hooks bending yet. They do seem to need to be touched up a bit more often than VMCs.

5/0
09-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I was once pulled in by their inexpensive price and tyed a buch of hooks,put them in my binder.One night it got soaked and I didn't think twice about it but, next time out I went to grab one and it was like Fred Sanford's truck!
Just to mention not trebles live bait hooks and yes the were 5/0's.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rob Rockcrawler
09-14-2015, 10:59 PM
I will take a mulligan on the one i bent and see how they stand up for the rest of the season before making a call on them.

BigFish
09-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Mustad = Junk! Old/New....you can have them! And if you are using cut hooks once they hit the salt they become as brittle as late autumn leaves and will break at the cut with very little pressure. VMC for me!!!

piemma
09-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Mustad = Junk! Old/New....you can have them! And if you are using cut hooks once they hit the salt they become as brittle as late autumn leaves and will break at the cut with very little pressure. VMC for me!!!

Agreed Larry. I don't sell the plugs I make but give away a 100+ every year so I don't want a gift to fail because of the hooks. I tried new Eagle, Mustad, Owner and VMC. I have stayed with VMC 3/0 6X for the belly hook and VMC 5/0 & 6/0 Siwash for the tail.

DZ
09-15-2015, 09:38 AM

If you have any Mustads with the Cadmium plating 3561 (closed eye) or 3517 (open Eye) I'll take all you got. IMO the best 3X treble ever - if they could hold up to Block bass they could hold anything. They went to crap when cadmium was banned as a plating.