View Full Version : Second Coat of E-Tex Questions

Eric Roach
09-14-2015, 10:13 AM
I refinished a plug for someone and had some pitting problems on the E-Tex topcoat. I lightly sanded the raised epoxy around the pits and sprayed the area with E-Tex Spray Sealer to cover the exposed paint and seal over whatever caused the epoxy to pull away. My hope is that a second coat of epoxy will fill the pits satisfactorily to make the lure presentable.

I've never done two coats of epoxy before, and I've never tried to correct a pitting problem. Might this work? What should I do to prep the first coat (if anything) to give the second coat the bast chance of finishing well?

If this doesn't work, it's back to square one via Jasco Epoxy & Paint Remover.

Any insight welcome.

Thank you,

Eric

iamskippy
09-14-2015, 02:28 PM
I had done this many time when i first started to epoxy. It will work however ther are a few notables.

Make sure you didnt hit the pain if you did use a clear, i prefer valspar.

If not scuff well using 1k wet but use it dry, feather the edges of the chips thats important when using the epoxy to level the surface.

Wipe down with denatured alcohol. I put them in the spinner for 24 hours with heat to ensure they are dry and warm.

I mix my epoxy warm so its easier to work i use a really thin coat and observe where the low spots are, hot it with some fast heat after working it in and let it spin for about 15 min it wilm start to tack up

Apply a second coat and work the low spots well to level it off.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ThrowingTimber
09-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Yes it will work, sand smooth, even if your paper is a little aggressive it will be fine, the second coat will flow into the sanding marks. Wiped with a mild alcohol and re-coat, apply heat to pop bubbles.

On the first coat I will usually apply heat to the lures prior to coating it as it spins, 1 it ensures it is dry, 2 the epoxy lands on a warm surface cutting down on bubbles.

Eric Roach
09-16-2015, 06:15 AM
Thanks, guys. I will try it.

Eric Roach
09-20-2015, 02:48 PM
The recommendations here worked wonderfully -- thank you all so much.