View Full Version : Wasps and yellow jackets

piemma
09-15-2015, 02:54 PM
They are very aggressive right now. I'm clearing a new field and in the past 8 days I have been stung 13 times. All yellow jackets except for one white faced wasp. That bastard hit me right in the forehead and my eye swelled shut for about 12 hours.

Rockport24
09-15-2015, 03:00 PM
holy chit sounds bad. I have a bunch burrowed into my front lawn right now, just waiting them out and keeping the kids away right now. I will fill in the hole after they die off (which is when, first frost?).

Sea Dangles
09-15-2015, 03:43 PM
holy chit sounds bad. I have a bunch burrowed into my front lawn right now, just waiting them out and keeping the kids away right now. I will fill in the hole after they die off (which is when, first frost?).

Dude, those are ground digger wasps aka cicada killers.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

trevier
09-15-2015, 06:14 PM
They are very aggressive right now. I'm clearing a new field and in the past 8 days I have been stung 13 times. All yellow jackets except for one white faced wasp. That bastard hit me right in the forehead and my eye swelled shut for about 12 hours.
those white faced ones hurt like a mofo.

nightfighter
09-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Which is when you douse lighter fluid on your lawn and burn them out.... also make for good fall seeding!

JK..... but I would be tempted if I had them.....

5/0
09-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Yup been there done that,those Mofos hit hard not pleasurable at all.
A midnight run kills them every time,get some hornet,bee,flying wasp killer (some brands offer scorpion killer) and hit them right at the source at night. There blind at night & they will not know what hit them nor know where it came from.
I tried gas and a match and my front yard was a mushroom cloud of pissed off bees.

Sea Dangles
09-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Wiki says to pour ammonia mixed w water in the hole late night.

Raven
09-16-2015, 06:03 AM
the white faced hornets are somehow smarter
they make the paper nests.... i see white
i back out
sorry for your pain Paul ...

Dick Durand
09-16-2015, 07:31 AM
As a kid I stayed indoors one afternoon following a bee sting on an ear which proceded to swell to twice its normal size. One didn't go out in my neighborhood with one ear that big.
Even cleaning fish at the dock these days attracts a horde of yellow jackets, which are annoying but docile.

piemma
09-16-2015, 10:07 AM

Also had this weird reaction after the swelling went down. My jaw and teeth hurt like hell on that side of my face for 4 days. Finally went away after I stated taking Benadryl every 6 hours.

Mike P
09-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Those are hornets. Bad mofos if you piss them off, but, usually you have to disturb the nest to do that. Their favorite snack is yellow jackets, which are bad mofos even if you don't piss them off, this time of the year.

Oh, and don't count on them not being active at night. Especially if you have a light source that generates a little bit of heat. ;)

Raven
09-16-2015, 12:38 PM
question for Piemma
when clearing the field were you working up
a good sweat ? Because they HONE in on Oders
i know because i got attacked one day because the brim
of my hat was all sweaty on a hot summer day
and it was like a lazer guided missile they way they found me.

Rockport24
09-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Which is when you douse lighter fluid on your lawn and burn them out.... also make for good fall seeding!

JK..... but I would be tempted if I had them.....

yeah don't want to do that, apparently they don't reuse a nest from year to year, the queen hides herself over the winter then finds another nest in the early spring. So I'm just going to wait them out since I hope most will be dead in about a month and a half with the colder weather then I'll just fill in the hole.

Apparently the thing to do is scour your property in the late winter/early spring and fill in any old rodent holes, cracks in your foundation or siding, or walls or anything else.

Rockport24
09-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Dude, those are ground digger wasps aka cicada killers.

no these are just yellow jackets that have taken up residence in an old rodent burrow.. I thought that is what they were at first, but they are just regular small yellow jacket, not large black bodied suckers...

piemma
09-16-2015, 01:28 PM
question for Piemma
when clearing the field were you working up
a good sweat ? Because they HONE in on Oders
i know because i got attacked one day because the brim
of my hat was all sweaty on a hot summer day
and it was like a lazer guided missile they way they found me.

But of course. I was swinging a R90 Stihl brush cutter with a 10" metal blade cutting 1 to3" saplings.