View Full Version : So We Are Nearing The End......

BigFish
09-21-2015, 02:50 PM
The season is fast wrapping up! How has your season been so far?

ProfessorM
09-21-2015, 03:30 PM
The end is just beginning. I love the end just like I love the beginning. I think it is going to be a good end too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
09-21-2015, 03:33 PM
i'm visualizing building my ice shack already

ivanputski
09-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Nearing the end???

No sir...

fishbones
09-21-2015, 04:03 PM
The end is just beginning. I love the end just like I love the beginning. I think it is going to be a good end too.

What he said.

bart
09-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Still a solid 2 months left, probably longer with the amount of big bait around, but this season has been an absolute blast. Traditional big fish spots that seemed devoid of life the last half decade or so held bait and fish all season long, except not at normal times and stages of the tide. Starting in June, the weeks leading up to the Full Moon all produced well from the surf. I like low water, but found most of my fish came at a specific stage of the tide; a half hour before low through 2 hours into the incoming. Didn't have to go to the canal for a big fish fix unless I wanted to, and those were good trips as well. But the spots I like to fish all produced well enough for me stick it out in the surf most of the season, which is how I prefer to fish so it was really fun.

Yellow/white SS Darter was my go to plug from rocks, but I really fell in love with big, DEAD eels worked like a rubber worm/slug-go. On calm nights they seemed to really out-produce live ones. The best moment of the year was a night by myself, no one in sight, with a pile of 20 to high 30lb fish at my feet. No surf, just calmly lobbing the dead eel out and working it like a big slug-go/pencil, teasing big fish up to the surface in the dark. Never had a zen moment like that before.

Albies from the rocks was something I always wanted to do, especially in spots I like to fish, so that was really rewarding. Fished hard with some good, trustworthy people which made it even better. Watching the Perseids meteor shower from the rocks was a real highlight as well, no pun intended. I only kept one fish all season which was a 35 lb fish I couldn't revive. I tried in a tidal pool for 10 minutes taking waves before i decided it would be best to keep it. That fish is currently holding the lead for my club's year long tourney in the shore division. Hope it holds up, but not expecting it to. Released most likely my PB bass during that stretch, but never got a weight or length as we really had to horse these fish in when the water got really warm in Aug. I could honestly care less. CPR!

No complaints, no regrets. On to the finale...

RickBomba
09-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Mine kicked ass. Everyday that I was out was a top 10. Best of all, I got to share every single one with my Dad (no typical boat yelling, dual captainship, that kind of stuff).

I wish I got a shot at the Tuna that I heard were real close to where we fish last week. There's a bone plug with a bunch of screws in my back that is not ready for that, though.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-21-2015, 11:08 PM
I haven't been fishing as much as i would like but its been good so far. Had a few really good nights in places that SUCKED last year for me. Nothing huge this year but a good number of 20's and hefty schoolies have kept it interesting. Add a few albies in the mix and i give it an 8/10. Can't wait for a couple trips to block that are coming up, even when he fishing sucks its still a great way to wind down a season.

Raven
09-22-2015, 06:41 AM
geez Rick readin that sent shivers up my timbers

DZ
09-22-2015, 09:04 AM
If its anything like the last half dozen falls its all downhill after September. Enjoy the bite while it lasts. The rest of the fall is a crapshoot.

seadogg
09-22-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm feeling very optimistic about this fall run. I'm still chasing albies, but I've gotten into some great bass and I know there are some monster blues out there. The amount of bait is unlike anything I've seen in my life, and I'm sure the fish aren't going to pass it up.

afterhours
09-22-2015, 05:10 PM
like the sight of lots of bait around, like dennis said it's a crapshoot. hopefully it turns on tonight on the block :), this ne wind has been awful.