View Full Version : CHOIR Action Alert: NEFMC seeks comments by Sept 30 on MWT Sea Herring depletion

BasicPatrick
09-24-2015, 01:29 AM
The New England Council is accepting additional scoping comments until September 30 on an action to address localized depletion of Atlantic Herring (Amendment 8). MSBA is a founding member of the CHOIR coalition. Considering the failure of efforts to bring anything more than 10% observers to the Industrial Mid Water Trawl Herring Fleet, MSBA joins the other members of CHOIR and asks our members and friends to submit comments requesting the NEFMC install a 35 mile coastwide buffer zone that would keep these industrial operations fishing far away from the near shore waters. Comments can be submitted via the following email: comments@nefmc.org MSBA requests anglers consider the following sample language as you decide what to say in your personal comments.

Thomas A. Nies, Executive Director
New England Fishery Management Council
50 Water Street, Mill #2
Newburyport, MA 01950

Re: Herring Amendment 8 Re-Scoping

Dear Tom,

I am a recreational angler from Massachusetts and am concerned with the effects of mid water trawl gear on inshore fishing throughout New England. I believe that this industrial scale fishing gear causes localized depletion of Atlantic herring in near shore waters. This localized depletion effects both availability and abundance of the species I target such as striped bass, bluefish, cod, haddock and bluefin tuna. Healthy ecosystems require an abundant forage base in order to support robust fisheries that contribute to our nations recreational heritage and economy.

Mid water trawl gear is too large to be allowed near shore.

Through the proposed Herring Amendment 8, I would like to see the NEFMC extend the current area 1A buffer to be applied year round.

I would also like to see Herring Amendment 8 create a buffer zone that prohibits the use of mid water trawl gear throughout the rest of new England that extends from shore out to 35 miles.

Thank You for considering my suggestions in developing Herring Amendment 8

Sincerely