View Full Version : Motor ON while plugging the shore?

JFigliuolo
09-24-2015, 09:59 AM
When It's calm I always shut down to plug/eel the shore. But in these conditions (NE) wind I find that a bit disconcerting as I need to re-position frequently.

What's you opinion on the running motor putting down the fishing?

Reason I ask is I was out Tuesday night, took the skunk w/the motor idling at all my spots. Maybe conicidence... maybe not.

bassballer
09-24-2015, 10:26 AM
When plugging I always shut down the motor. Typically im only in in 8-25' of water. I think it spooks them. But that's just me. When im trying to raise fish to the surface I don't want any other distractions to shy them away from my plug especially the amount of fish that smash a plug right at the boat.

Poncho
09-24-2015, 10:33 AM
I always shutmotor off and drift over spot. I was taught this by my mentor who always seems to out fish everybody consistently
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
09-24-2015, 10:35 AM
They see/hear boats all the time. Just letting it run I don't think spooks them but putting it in gear and changing rpms I'm sure gets thier attention

Nebe
09-24-2015, 10:58 AM
If you have your boat insured- motor gets turned off. 😂

JLH
09-24-2015, 11:15 AM
I would often leave it running with a wind pushing me into shore and never noticed that it had a big impact on my catch rate.

If you don't have it running and are fishing in tight to shore/rocks its a good idea to have a grappling type anchor at the ready. Even if you do have it running its still a good idea...

ProfessorM
09-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Numbskull usually leaves it running and we are usually in various treacherous locations. Doesn't seem to hurt us but being sucky fishermen does more often.

Mike J.
09-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Leave it on, Used to be all about stealth mode until recently. This year the motor is left on, Lights on etc in 10 feet of water and actually having fish crash the bait/lure alongside the boat regularly. Fish hear motor noise all the time! its when the motor is off and all the other small noise you will make in the boat that will get them spooked.

beamie
09-24-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't think leaving it on affects the fishing. I slow troll and bump it all the time trolling macs. Bass will come within feet of the boat to sometimes get their meal.

ecduzitgood
09-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Leave it on...just ask a lobster man what happens to shorts they have to throw back.....bass will wait under the boat and grab the short lobsters thrown over the side.

nightfighter
09-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Leave it on...just ask a lobster man what happens to shorts they have to throw back.....bass will wait under the boat and grab the short lobsters thrown over the side.

Exactly what I was going to point out..... One local lobsterman wants me to kill every striped bass I can because of this!

Raven
09-24-2015, 05:03 PM
same thing happens in freshwater when stocking trout
the muskies or bass are waiting for a meal

i think motor noise is fine but a sharp sound when kicking
or banging something is a different matter

Poncho
09-24-2015, 07:47 PM
I disagree, So many times I have seen a bite turn right off when other boats drive thru the drift.

nightfighter
09-25-2015, 05:43 AM
I disagree, So many times I have seen a bite turn right off when other boats drive thru the drift.

Apples and oranges. Drift vs. drive through. But I am told they follow the lobster boats for the free buffet.....

JohnR
09-25-2015, 06:22 AM
Depends, do you want to live when that unexpected wave comes along?

If your outboard is EFI and starts every single time sure, if it is prone to slow starts, stalling, puking, leave it running. You'll never need it until you really need it

Sea Flat
09-25-2015, 06:58 AM
Great fisherman, Charley Soares always leaves his engine on and he does just fine bringing in the big girls. If it is FAC I can get it and wouldn't hesitate to shut it off, but you never know when you may have to move in a hurry. I have caught many fish, big and small with the engine on

piemma
09-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Don't know about plugging but with live lining, chunking and throwing eels, I always leave it on. The few times I shut the motor off, I didn't notice a difference in hookup rate. Hell we use to troll pogies at 3kts and would crush large doing it.

ProfessorM
09-25-2015, 09:07 AM
I was going to say driving and idle are 2 different things. I agree driving thru is not going to do you any good or make you any friends.

JFigliuolo
09-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the great input! I guess I have nothing to blame getting skunked on but my own ineptitude!

ProfessorM
09-25-2015, 11:05 AM
That is what usually blame. Or Numbskull

OLD GOAT
09-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Motor off, with three little girls dancing, jumping and singing to lady Gaga as they catch schoolies.

shadow
09-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Leave the engine on and chum with lobster damn it problem solved.