View Full Version : Arra 1322

ProfessorM
10-06-2015, 06:51 PM
I have an Arra 1322 wrapped conventional. It is at least 20 years old. in good condition but I never use it and was wondering if I could have it all stripped and wrapped spinning. Great rod and just sitting around for last decade plus. I don't care what it will look like after just be functional. P.

ThrowingTimber
10-06-2015, 07:36 PM
yes, its possible.

lot of work though strip & rebuild.

Its all the work of building one, with the added bonus of stripping it without nicking the blank and wrecking it.

ProfessorM
10-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks Victor. Now I have to come up with a plan to con Numbskull into doing it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

saltfly
11-08-2015, 09:14 AM
I have an Arra 1322 wrapped conventional. It is at least 20 years old. in good condition but I never use it and was wondering if I could have it all stripped and wrapped spinning. Great rod and just sitting around for last decade plus. I don't care what it will look like after just be functional. P.Paul;The biggest issue is the reelseat and grips.If the blank was sanded prior to the epoxy used to mount the reelseat and hypalon/cork grips it's much tougher to remove.If the original blank finish is still there it's just time consuming to flake off the old epoxy.Removing the wraps and guides is pretty easy.Razorblade[single edge] the guidefoot only and use something softer than the blank finish to flake the wrap finish off.Like a plastic knife[smoothside],credit card,rod builders burnishing tool,or a piece of hard wood to push against the finish.Cleaning the blank afterwards I use lacquer thinner,denatured alcohol,acetone.I spot test solvents to see which works safest 1st.Take your time.Dremel type tool to cut a groove on opposite sides of the reel seat.screwdriver in groove twist to breakaway from epoxy.:gu:

ProfessorM
11-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks Bob. I used it a few times upside down like Big Dave and another member suggested,using the spinner on it. It worked really good like they said. This winter George said he would do it over for me to which I replied great. Hey make sure you keep all the damn snow up your way this winter. I don't think I can take another winter like last year.

saltfly
11-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks Bob. I used it a few times upside down like Big Dave and another member suggested,using the spinner on it. It worked really good like they said. This winter George said he would do it over for me to which I replied great. Hey make sure you keep all the damn snow up your way this winter. I don't think I can take another winter like last year.You folks got more than we did up here.The difference was my road is snow covered from the 9 of Dec. till tax day.No matter what happens in between.The 1st buck showed up in the yard this morning.A nice 9pt.barbara took a couple of pics but not close enough.I'll get a couple of better ones this afternoon when the girls come back at sunset.
We were down the Cape for the week after Columbus day and fished from the ditch to Truro.Brought my dogs ashes to Ballston so she could be with her pals who passed before her.Shot down 3 doz oysters at the Wellfleet oyster fest the next sat. Then blew back to the mountains.Barbara got a few fish both day and night and fresh and salt with Tony C. nothing big but she got an education of blitzing fish in the canal and beaches at night.Alittle more "training" and she'll be on her own.

Refinished my rod benches last month and getting ready to hide out for the winter to build up blanks and tie flies.I've got a ton of threads,guides,grips,etc if you need anything just let me know. Bob.