View Full Version : Albie Hunt

bucko
10-08-2015, 08:27 AM
For the last 5+ years I have been trying to catch an Albie or Bonito from shore using a fly rod. I’d read reports looking for specific flys, time of day, tide and specific locations. I did a considerable amount of driving and spent some time on Martha’s Vineyard. Over the years I saw Albies break (explode), saw what looked to be a fast moving green cloud (school of Albies) attack a baitfish ball. Sometimes the Albies would be right in front of me…speed by at what I’m told can be as much 40 mph. Sometimes the fisherman next to me would get the Albie. I spent a lot of time blind casting to a seemingly Albie less ocean.

The other day…was my day. Shortly after arriving at the latest hot spot I got the hit and saw my line disappear like a bass or blue can’t do. I felt the thrum of the Albies tail on my line. My drag was tight so the fight was controlled. I landed my first Albie. As I continued to fish I was fortunate to hook up multiple times. I learned fly line tangles are a bigger issue with Albies when compared to Bass. An incoming run can make a complete mess of backing when attempting to keep up with the speed of these fish. Palming the reel with an Albie should probably be left to a more skilled fly fisherman. When I finally stopped the results were 5 hits and 4 Albies landed.

I’d like to thank some of the fisherman who post here and elsewhere who provided the fly used and coached me through my first successful Albie Hunt.

JohnnySaxatilis
10-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Awesome work bucko, that's a man's mission right there, albie on the fly from shore

ProfessorM
10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Congrats on your hard earned catch. Like Numbskull said to me False Albacore is a world class fly rod species.

tysdad115
10-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Great story ! You earned it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

saltyric
10-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Nicely done! congtrats

seadogg
10-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Bad ass dude.

Fly Rod
10-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Congratulations!!!......:):)

flyvice11787
10-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Sweeeet!!!

rphud
10-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Now for the bone! Ones I have had on line make a hard run right at you after a dash the for the deep. Reel like a mad man to keep up! Keep the rod low waiting for that turn.

BatesBCheatin
11-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Just noticed this post. You did well that day, Bucko. Told you if you came back you'd get one. Well, you got four. :btu: They were around until late October when I said enough is enough. Only 270 days until they come back! :bc: