View Full Version : Can it be saved?

Zeal
10-17-2015, 07:53 PM
For the first time in at least 13 years I'll be fishing off a boat, attempting to catch Tog for the first time in my life. Took the meat stick out of the closet and checked the reel....I think it might be shot.

Rod: Daiwa Eliminator Boat Rod, MH, 6'6", 2-4 oz. 1 piece
Reel: Penn Jigmaster Stardrag.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-conventional-reels-penn-jigmaster/1285653.html

I have 30 lb. mono on this setup, never used braid. The drag just won't tighten. In fact, the drag was okay until I tried to make it slightly tighter. It just wont do it. I tried making the star go counter-clockwise and it won't budge (I'm afraid to force it). The reel gave me issues around the last time I used it those 13 years ago but still was able to hold. Now I have no idea.

When it comes to reels, I have very primitive knowledge though I believe the star should be able to go forwards and backwards when being turned...

Is it dead? Should I try to see what parts are wrecked or just get a new reel? The rod is in great shape and put the hurt on many a party boats so I'd hate to waste it.

Sort of unrelated question: is that rod strong enough to take on Tog?

MakoMike
10-18-2015, 07:33 AM
I'm sure the reel can be saved, probably a simple repair. Those old jigmasters are workhorses, they just keep going and going.

Mike P
10-18-2015, 05:34 PM
There's no such thing as a Jigmaster that can't be fixed. Unless you smash the side plate with a sledgehammer, that is. ;)