View Full Version : batteries

zacs
10-23-2015, 09:38 AM
I have had optima blues for the last 6 yrs, but time to replace.

Any thoughts on replacements? Stick with the blues? that is how I am leaning, but they are pricey....

Who's got the best prices these days?

I have a 115 hp Yamaha 4stroke and typical gps/vhf/baitwell/washdown/2 bilge pumps/typical running & cockpit lights.

Thanks

Zac

beamie
10-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Never tried them.....but 6 years seems pretty good. Probably a good bet to stick with them. I usually go with Diehard Deep Cycles 29 or 31 series. Works for me get about 4 years.

Have you seen a degrade effect in them or just doing some preventive changing.?

niko
10-23-2015, 06:08 PM
I just had a pair of batteries fail after 5 months - ridiculous
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
10-23-2015, 06:22 PM
I just had a pair of batteries fail after 5 months - ridiculous
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Wow! Could u have alternator problems,,, my mech guy says should change ever 5 yrs

piemma
10-24-2015, 06:54 AM
I switched over to the best Walmart marine batteries and haven't had an issue. I have the same motor as you and the same config on the boat, baitwell, washdown GPS, fishfinder etc.

You cannot beat the price. I run 2 batteries so if one fails I replace it. They come with a 3 year warrenty.

wdmso
10-24-2015, 08:55 AM
seeing were on the topic of batteries do you Guys leave them in or out of the boat for the winter ? Ive done it both ways and haven't noticed any performance change or fond they die quicker ?

beamie
10-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Years ago use to take them out. Now a days I keep them in. Just make sure they are charged well at the beginning of the winter. For piece of mind if you hook up a trickle charger and run it a few times a winter for a day doesn't hurt.

clambo
10-24-2015, 02:05 PM
bought some AGM from Cabela's lasted 1 season. Posted on THT and most people blamed me for the failure! I finally went with Lifeline and got them shipped from Texas. After spending 45 min on phone with Lifeline they told me I had done nothing wrong. They even made me get the book on my charger and read spects to them. Same with the place in Texas they educated me as much as they could! In this day and age this level of customer service is unprecendented. They are pricey but as with most things the Bottom Line is You Get What You Pay For!:kewl:

piemma
10-24-2015, 03:06 PM
seeing were on the topic of batteries do you Guys leave them in or out of the boat for the winter ? Ive done it both ways and haven't noticed any performance change or fond they die quicker ?

I leave mine in but unhook all the cables on both so they are isolated.
I put the charger on them once during the winter. Of course I think it make a big difference that my boat is stored inside all winter

MakoMike
10-26-2015, 09:41 AM
I leave mine in the boat, too much hassel to get the 4ds out of their compartments. I just turn all of the battery switches to the off position and they are fine in the spring.

bassballer
10-28-2015, 10:17 AM
I used to take them out but last couple seasons have just left them in and unhooked the cables. Havent had any issues so far.

Guppy
10-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Both Out, in the garage, on a shelf, on a charger (maintainer), all winter

SweetD
11-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Both Out, in the garage, on a shelf, on a charger (maintainer), all winter

Same here, been doing that for years. Just replaced both my AutoZone marine dual purpose lead-acid batteries last season after 8 and 9 years of service respectively. So I feel like my "maintenance plan" works pretty well.

I bought the Wally World deep cycle batteries as replacements, properly rated for my motor. So far zero problems. They get good reviews.

Dave