View Full Version : Mars

TBone
07-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Thought this was pretty cool...something to keep an eye out for while in the surf the next month...

MARK YOUR CALENDAR

Want to see an event that no one else in recorded history has ever seen---read on-this should be spectacular.!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: : Mars - A must see

Never again in your lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular!
This month and next Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mar will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has
seen in recorded history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share with your children and grandchildren. No one alive today will ever see this again.

fishsmith
07-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Very cool TBone.

Here is some more info on the best times to view.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/where_is_mars.html#map

STEVE IN MASS
07-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Saw it the other night while I was fishing the Ditch....pretty cool....and a few nights before that, it was very close to the moon.

I hope to catch it again tomorrow morning, and in the weeks to come....:)

Buzz-erd
07-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Already got the telescope out of the closet.Its to bad man won't be going.This time will never come again.

tlapinski
08-06-2003, 11:43 AM
i gotta remember this when i fish this weekend! hopefully the freakin' clouds will finally break!

Buzz-erd
08-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Mars already looks cool.Please if you have kids this is BIG.This will never happen again.This is the kind of thing that inspires man to reach out.What a shame NASA and the Govt couldn't agree on what to do.Present technology could've gotten us there in 7 months.
Next time you're striper fishin at nite this year take your kid,no human will ever see Mars like it is for another 60 thousand years!

tlapinski
08-26-2003, 11:28 AM
ok, tonight into tomorrow morning is supposed to be the best time for viewing. i'll be out there!

STEVE IN MASS
08-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Saw it this AM, about 3:00 and thru binoculars as well, and yes, it was cool....ya really can't miss it in the sky.

Unfortunately, they are calling for a front to come thru tonight, so the cloud cover may be a problem.

Buzz-erd
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
My telescope has mag. up 1200x.if I had a scanner I would love to upload the pix.UNBELIEVABLE.

blackeye
08-28-2003, 09:23 AM
I was looking for uranus last nite