View Full Version : Bunk Rollers

JLH
10-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Has anyone tried upgrading their small bunk style trailer with the bunks that have rollers that you can buy?

I purchased a 17’ skiff over the summer and usually launch it at a small private launch which is very shallow at high tide and very uneven at low tide. I am hoping that the bunks with rollers might make it easier to launch and retrieve the trailer without having to time the tides perfectly. My previous boat had a rollers on the trailer which I liked much better than the bunks on this one.

ProfessorM
10-30-2015, 06:43 PM
My 14 tin boat has rollers going down the middle and bunks on the rear. the rollers are adjusted just high enough to allow easy rolling on the trailer. I use lots of dirt ramps where there is sometimes only 8" of water sometimes at low with a 10 plus foot tide. Not sure that is what you are talking about but figured I would just say. You can adjust the rollers higher to take more of the weight of the boat which should add to easy of retrieval and launch.

JLH
11-12-2015, 01:34 AM
My 14 tin boat has rollers going down the middle and bunks on the rear. the rollers are adjusted just high enough to allow easy rolling on the trailer. I use lots of dirt ramps where there is sometimes only 8" of water sometimes at low with a 10 plus foot tide. Not sure that is what you are talking about but figured I would just say. You can adjust the rollers higher to take more of the weight of the boat which should add to easy of retrieval and launch.

Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds like a similar set up to my trailer I'm going to see if that is something I can do in the spring.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
11-12-2015, 08:00 PM
My trailer, which I built myself, also is able to bend in half almost so I can lower the rear area right down to the ground and thus be able to pull it out with no water. i will see if I got a pic so you can understand cause i am not explaining it well.

Raider Ronnie
11-12-2015, 08:05 PM
My trailer has big movable pads operated by hydraulic Rams and trailer is pulled around by a minimum 33,000 gvw truck and law enforcement requires a bunch of stupid over the road (wide load) permits

Billybob
11-13-2015, 07:30 AM
JLH - They do make these plastic strips that you can put over the wood bunks which are much slicker than carpet, and are designed to help the boat slide easier. I haven't used them myself, but have seen them on trailers around here. Just a thought.

Raider Ronnie
11-13-2015, 09:41 AM
JLH - They do make these plastic strips that you can put over the wood bunks which are much slicker than carpet, and are designed to help the boat slide easier. I haven't used them myself, but have seen them on trailers around here. Just a thought.

Aerosol can of silicone sprayed on the bunks every once in a while will do the same.

Raider Ronnie
11-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Aerosol can of silicone sprayed on the bunks every once in a while will do the same.

BEETLE
11-13-2015, 05:06 PM
I had 2 roller trailers and 1 bunk. Rollers under a 23 Contender and under a 19' Casco Bay CC. Both boats on & off slick as chit all the time.
The bunk was under a 19' Scout - absolutely horrible to load and unload. Tried putting those plastic slides on the bunks, silicone, wd40 ect. & everything else - still bad results. Switch to rollers and don't look back.