View Full Version : Tarpon trip

seadogg
11-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Just got back from the Everglades after another tarpon excursion. Wound up getting one about 50 pounds on the fly rod, which is a first for me, but the real highlight was when my dad hooked into a fish that was 150 pounds or better. He fought that beast for nearly 40 minutes on a combo you'd use for stripers. It put him to the test, but he got it boat side. We fished for three days and saw lots of tarpon from 20 to 200 pounds, but the wind made it tough to fool the big girls. We got a bunch of small tarpon, reds, and snook too. All in all a great trip.

ProfessorM
11-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Awesome. On my bucket list someday. Especially after watching this last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePnThMSWcU8

afterhours
11-07-2015, 08:00 PM
nice :)......

bassballer
11-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Awesome. I whiffed on 2 in Panama. Got 2 to eat and unbuckled both after short runs. Quite the fish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIROCKHOUND
11-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Awesome. I whiffed on 2 in Panama. Got 2 to eat and unbuckled both after short runs. Quite the fish.

Yup... I had shots in JVD on my honeymoon but missed.

Came on glued on a legit 7ft 200+lb monster on a reef in the Bahamas w/ Tautog after it ate a live bait. never got off the ball to chase it before it jumped and spit the hook...

seadogg
11-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Yea it's always a great time. We go with a guy who guides in Florida during the winter and up here during the summer. We've gone on these three-day camping excursions a half dozen times and he always gets us on fish. We only use artificials, so it's a challenge at times, but it makes the hookup that much more rewarding. My dad threw to this fish about 8 times before it hit, and man did it go bonkers. We were in a river about 40 feet wide, so keeping that fish away from snags was a challenge. Gotta hand it to my old man. Wish I could have gotten a good photo but the leader parted when Joe, our guide, grabbed it when the fish finally came boatside. Oh well, though. You can't take em out of the water anyway. Definitely go after these fish if you get a chance.

Fly Rod
11-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Congratulations!!....tarpon fishing is a great sport whether fishing with flies or live bait....they R exciting when they jump and tail across the water........:)

bassballer
11-09-2015, 10:04 AM
I had mine eat on a 5" white danny, and the other on an 8" ronz. Justseeing it turn and hads towars the danny plug and come up and eat was a win in my book.

wdmso
11-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Some day.. very cool

Jim in CT
11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
I've landed a few in the 150 pound range in Key west on light tackle, unbelievably fast and powerful.

In Marathon, I was fighting a 100 pounder for 15 minutes. Had him 15 feet from the boat, 2 bull sharks came in and ripped him to pieces, I had him on the linbe for a few seconds during the carnage.

Tunabreath
11-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Prof.M, great video, I'm definitely subscribing to her channel

Moses
07-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Yea it's always a great time. We go with a guy who guides in Florida during the winter and up here during the summer. We've gone on these three-day camping excursions a half dozen times and he always gets us on fish. We only use artificials, so it's a challenge at times, but it makes the hookup that much more rewarding. My dad threw to this fish about 8 times before it hit, and man did it go bonkers. We were in a river about 40 feet wide, so keeping that fish away from snags was a challenge. Gotta hand it to my old man. Wish I could have gotten a good photo but the leader parted when Joe, our guide, grabbed it when the fish finally came boatside. Oh well, though. You can't take em out of the water anyway. Definitely go after these fish if you get a chance.

Who specifically did you charter with? Location? Thanks.

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-22-2016, 11:21 PM
We were in key largo a couple years back and I couldn't find a boat to take me unless we were fishing live bait on stupid heavy gear. I was pissed! Went to Robbie's and fed them by hand and that was good enough for me. I do want to catch one on lighter tackle though. Sounds like you guys had a blast. Congrats!